Translation from English

Thursday, August 18, 2016

NYC Fire Museum


The New York City Fire Museum will mark the fifteenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center with a memorial service commemorating the supreme sacrifice made by 343 members of the FDNY.

The New York City Fire Museum is the official museum of the FDNY. Occupying a renovated 1904 Beaux­â€Arts firehouse at 278 Spring Street in Hudson Square, the Museum is home to a renowned collection of fire‐related art and artifacts from the 18th century to the present; including hand-‐pumped fire engines, horse­â€drawn vehicles, early motorized apparatus and firefighting tools and equipment.

In addition, the New York City Fire Museum contains the first permanent memorial to the 343 FDNY members who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. Housed in two adjoining rooms, this solemn sky­â€lit tribute includes a black marble and tile memorial with pictures of the FDNY members lost in the attacks; the bunker coat and helmet of FDNY Chaplain Mychal Judge, cases displaying tools used and items recovered from the Ground Zero recovery effort; newspaper coverage of the attacks and images of nationwide tributes to the FDNY; and a wall‐size timeline chronicling that day's tragic events.

The New York City Fire Museum will be open, free of charge, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on September 11th.

WHO: Fire Commissioner, Daniel A. Nigro, FDNY
Chief of Department James E. Leonard, FDNY
New York City Fire Museum Director Sarah Strickland
Many Active and Retired FDNY Members
Greenpoint Community Gospel Choir

WHERE: FDNY Fire Museum 278 Spring Street – Between Hudson and Varick Streets

WHEN: Sunday, September 11th at 1 p.m. sharp


Photo Credit: New York City Fire Museum