Translation from English

Friday, December 20, 2013

La Delice- Kips Bay

Once again, very mixed reviews which average out about three stars. Some people hate this place and some love it...guess pastry brings out passions in people

Edit
  • 372 3rd Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    b/t 26th St & 27th St in Kips Bay
  • Transit information 4 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 532-4409
  • 10/26/2013
    3 check-ins here
    I've been getting cakes from this corner bakery for years.

    The staff are always professional and friendly, and will write whatever I need on a cake, no matter how strange[1].

    Their cakes have always been delectably fresh and none too sweet, good since I don't have an insane sweet tooth. That said, all of my associates have never complained when I came loaded with goodies from La Delice. I also appreciate that nothing costs and arm or a leg here - they take credit, too.

    [1] For what it's worth, I've only asked them to write polite things. But I'm pretty sure they'd probably go the extra mile if you left an extra-large tip.
  • 12/17/2013
    Awful, awful, awful customer service.
    I have a huge sweet tooth so it takes a lot to make me angry enough to storm out of a pastry shop without buying something.
    Working in the neighborhood, I know this place doesn't have the best reputation for freshness, but I pride myself in being able to pick out the fresh bakes from the old and stale. So when I want to single out a fresh lintzer cookie in a pile of sloppy ones and the clerk refuses to sell it to me and says "I give you one I want", you bet I'll curse you out and give you one star, which in my opinion is even too much, Seriously???
  • 7/10/2013
    For an office birthday celebration we got the chocolate cake from La Delice. (see photo)

    The cake was delicious and fresh.
    http://www.yelp.ca/biz_p…

    They had cookies too be I kind of missed them because they were gone really fast.

    I will definitely go back and sample their other items.
  • 11/25/2013
    Went there with small kids, so ordered a nice variety of cookies and some cupcakes. The cookies were a HUGE disappointment. Other than being deathly sweet, they tasted buttery and tasteless. The only reason I am writing this review was because for the first time in my life, I had stale sprinkles. Stale sprinkles! The rainbow colored sprinkles on the cookies were stiff, weirdly textured, and again, tasteless. I didn't even know that sprinkles could end up like this!

    We also bought a lemon pie, and frankly, it tasted as though they had poured half a bottle of lemon flavor in to the pie. It was so sour, and so lemony, that we threw most of it away.

    I also want to add that the staff here seems pretty bored & disinterested in their job. They had nothing to say when we asked them if anything else was good in there.

    I will not be going back here - which is sad, because it is so conveniently located otherwise. But it is a big disappointment.
  • 7/9/2013
    1 check-in here
    Lots of yummy treats to try -- cookies, cakes, and small pastries. You will not be disappointed.

    Had to dock a star, though, because with all the selection, nothing had peanut butter in it. Peanut butter + chocolate is a critical combination in my family, and it was a bit of a let down not to see anything in that category. Still, I will definitely come back - but with that restriction in mind.
  • 5/29/2013
    1 check-in here
    Terrible.

    I grew up in a neighborhood where I learned to appreciate the small mom and pop Italian bakery. I enjoyed butter cookies (especially the rainbow and the cookies sandwiched together with jam), cannolis and Napoleans. As I passed this bakery I was intrigued since I was a victim of proximity and nostalgia.

    I went in at 8:00 AM Thursday to pick up assorted butter cookies, macaroons and mini cannolis for a company meeting spread. Good news: La Delice is open early daily and it did not take long for me to get helped.

    When I opened the boxes at the office, I noticed that at least 1/4 of the macaroons were damaged. I was upset because I thought to myself "who the hell wants to eat these?" They look like sh-t. (see pictures) Think about it; would you buy a cake, cookie or cupcake if it looked liked someone took a face dive or bit into it? The woman behind the counter thought that these were acceptable, since she hand picked these individually.

    The chocolate shelled mini cannolis were fine (shell was still crunchy). On the other hand the regular shells were soggy. Due to time constraints, I picked up pre-packaged 1.5 lb butter cookies which were nicely wrapped. Unfortunately, some of the cookies, ie with jam were noticeably old. Think of taking a bite into two crumbly butter cookies, then biting into gum that boasts the strength of pieces which lived under a high school desk. Inedible.

    Sadly I spent $73 on this order. The products, by taste alone, were not fresh. The macaroons were a joke. In the future, I'll just wait on the long lines at Veniero's.

    IFHTP 2
  • 5/23/2013
    Maybe I bought the wrong things but the taste was not good. I was craving macarons and for the price, I did not expect them to be spectacular. They came out to be $10 for 20 but quite honestly, they weren't even worth 50 cents each. When I opened the box after getting home, the macaroons were not like the ones I saw on the tray. They were small and deformed (see pictures), and the taste was not even like that of a cookie. It was clumpy, crumbly, two were missing fillings, and they had no taste except for exorbitant amounts of sugar.

    The cannolis were okay, a bit flimsy (the chocolate chips would not stay on so it would not be ideal to present to guests), and the Napoleon looked much better than it tasted (see pictures again). The Napoleon cakes were hard and had almost a gel-like tangy filling, nothing like a beautiful 1000-layer cake that is supposed to crunch and collapse when digging your spoon into the rich cream. Overall, it wasn't too pricey, although I ended up spending more than I hope to spend, service was okay, some of the pastries looked better than they tasted, and the rest did not even look or taste like pastries.
  • 11/19/2013
    Underrated. I went in for some baklava and other treats if they had anything that looked good and a fresh baklava was coming out of the kitchen. It's literally the most delicious baklava I've ever had. I almost went for a birthday cake instead, which went for around $25. Reasonable prices, and delicious. Seriously underrated on Yelp... I'm surprised.
  • 11/11/2013
    The people who work at this bakery have ZERO knowledge of their products or services.

    I went to this bakery 2 days ago in search of place that can make my wildest cake fantasy come true for my 21st birthday. Having gone to a few other bakeries for an estimate I walked into this place with high hopes.

    When I walked in I wasn't greeted by anyone and I was the only customer in the shop. I approached the counter and I asked if they do specialty birthday cakes and then the manager, I assume, came over to speak to me.I showed him a picture of what I wanted (a Snoopy themed cake with 3D fondant figures) and he said he could do it no problem. When I asked him how much it would cost he said between $50-55 dollars. So far so good. When I started to ask more questions however.. he didn't know anything.

    asked him if he had a list of flavor options for the cake and frostings and he said no. So i asked what do they have and he responded  'whatever's in the case but we can make anything you ask for'. Come on now, what kind of an answer is whatever is in the case.. you can't tell me what flavors you have? Next I asked if they could make a chocolate-almond flavored cake and he replied: "what's that? how do you make that?" Then he proceeded to say that they don't make figures of fondant (which contradicts what he said earlier) but they could try if I emailed them a picture. I asked if I would get a sketch of the cake before it was made and he said 'I am doing it right now'. A stick figure house doesn't count and wasn't what I even wanted. He saw that I was getting frustrated and told me to call the bakery the next day because he was going to talk to his boss. I walked out and of course, never called; I already wasted enough time there. When I walked out of the co-workers started snickering. Such a professional bakery, indeed.

    Will never return.
  • 2/6/2013
    1 check-in here
    We always stroll by semi-glancing at the pastries displayed in the windows, but never gather up enough courage to go in. But after a visit to the gym, we earned ourselves a pastry or two.

    The shop isn't big at all. Which makes it even more incredible how many pastry items they have packed into the display cases. These cases form a U-shape and takes you through their selection of biscotti, individual sized cakes, croissants, danishes, cookies, truffles, etc. We tried a cheese danish, a apple crumb slice, and a variety of cookies. Sadly, the only thing I would come back and order again is the danish. The apple crumb had a bit too much alcohol (brandy?) mixed in which overwhelmed entire pie. The cookies weren't exactly my cup of tea, but that's probably because I prefer the chocolate chip variety.

    I wish I had better things to say about La Delice. Other reviews about cookies being stale could be attributed to the volume of items they make. This volume results in decency for all the things they make, when instead, they could be great at a fewer amount of pastries.
    __
    May '12 Health Grade - A
  • 2/2/2013
    The Macarons are ok - 10 for $4 is definitely a good price. They're on the larger size, however, they're also very crisp and flaky.

    The Napoleon I could have sworn had a banana taste to it but they assured me it did not. Maybe it was just too sweet for my liking.

    Overall, I liked what I had for the price I paid. The place smells good and there's a great selection. However, I found the owner (?) to be a little unpleasant in her demeanor which was disappointing.
  • 1/8/2013
    4 check-ins here
    This is the pastry shop you will notice but never have the urge to step in.

    -I was recommended by Yelper Derek L. to try the truffles. Slightly hesitant, because when you try Fifth Ave Chocolatier you will know what real truffles should be like, I decided to give each of their truffles a try.
    -Surprisingly the powdered truffles were my favorite as they tasted similar to Fifth Ave Chocolatier. They are like butter and melts in your mouth, just not as fast as Fifth Ave Chocolatier.
    - At $16 per pound, this is actually a pretty good deal.
  • 4/29/2013
    I live near the area but didn't discover this place until recently. Admittedly, it's kind of my new addiction. I was amazed by the variety of goods they managed to cram into the little shop. I usually go during nighttime, and the woman who works the counter has always been pleasant and helpful.

    Personally, I like their cannoli and cookies. I haven't encountered a soggy cannoli or anything yet. I would, however, avoid their macarons. I feel like they're perpetually stale. So unless you like stale macarons...
  • 4/19/2013
    4 check-ins here
    ~Taste Test #1

    I remember going to this bakery when I was younger so when I happened to pass by today, I couldn't resist.  In the past we probably got cookies and rugelach since that was one of my dad's favorites but I felt like getting something different this time.  I ended up with a mini plain cannoli and tiramisu.

    The cannoli wasn't bad although the filling was better than the crust and it was a little on the sweeter side.  The tiramisu was ok as well.  I'm generally a lot pickier when it comes to tiramisu since it's one of my favorite desserts.  The tiramisu was actually made with ladyfingers as opposed to a cake substitute which I appreciated.  However, as I kept eating, it started to taste too sweet which made me have a less favorable impression of it overall.

    As I left I asked another customer what she liked best and she recommended the chocolate chip brownie (unfortunately they were currently out of stock).  As other yelpers have also described, it seems like it can be a hit or miss with some of the baked goods so I would definitely go back and give other things a shot.

    Note: There's a $10 minimum for credit card use.

    ~Taste Test #2

    This time I decided to try out their macarons and a chocolate chocolate chip cake.  The macaroons were 10 for $4 with a minimum purchase of a quarter pound.  There were a total of 9 flavors: orange, raspberry, almond, blueberry, lemon, pistachio, strawberry, vanilla, and mocha.  Out of the 10 I got, only 2 were slightly chewy while the rest were crispy and even slightly hard.  My bet is that these aren't made on a regular basis and end up sitting there for a while.  I wouldn't recommend these unless you're interested in "cookies" that look like macarons.

    Onto the chocolate cake!  So this was the item that a customer recommended to me last time and I figured I had nothing to lose.  I was worried that it would be sickeningly sweet since it appeared to be rather dense but I was pleasantly surprised.  You need to get used to the fact that there are chocolate chips inside the cake (texture-wise) but there's a nice balance between the lightness of the cream and the cake itself.  Again, the hit or miss part seems to be true but I'd go with the cake since it seems to be made (and purchased) on a regular basis!  Now I just have to try their truffles!

    ~Taste Test #3

    Soo...TRUFFLES!  I got about a quarter pound in total with about half dark chocolate and half powdered dark.  These are definitely my favorite item thus far!  They are not overly sweet which is great and melt in your mouth.  I shared these with my parents and they seemed to like them too.  So the verdict is, if you're a fan of truffles or chocolate, these are a MUST.
  • 6/4/2013
    1 check-in here
    Frog cupcakes are good, but that is about it. This place is hella expensive, and the cakes taste like chemicals and they are super dry. I have no idea how this place has stayed open for so long. I think it is a money laundering front.
  • 5/12/2013
    1 check-in here
    I eat like, everything but my two Desert Island Foods (the two things I would pick if I could only eat two things for the rest of my life ever) would be chicken fingers and bakery cookies, so you can trust me that I know my little bites of butter and flour. Because this is a French bakery they don't have certain specialities like Rainbow cookies that are found at the typical Classic New York Bakery. That said, these are seriously the best-of-their-kind cookies I think I've ever eaten. I'd have to put them side-by-side with Ferrara's to be sure, and the subtle differences in cookie selection might just really make it an apples-to-oranges comparison, but these are some gosh darn butt kickin' cookies. PS Dear Owners, don't ever ever get rid of the bakery man outside he is my secret plaster boyfriend and I love him.
  • 7/1/2012 Updated review
    2 check-ins here
    Okay La Delice, you made me have to take a star off of your review. Your candied fruit biscotti are still second to none, BUT you embarrassed me on my daughter's birthday. I served one of their beautiful cannoli cakes that has a rainbow cookie rim only to find out once I cut into it that the rainbow cookies were STALE!

    That's right STALE!! The stale flavor permeated the cannoli cream and surrounding cake rendering it INEDIBLE. Good thing I had another cake from a local bakery to save face with my guests.

    Not cool La Delice, not cool at all.
    4/1/2012 Previous review
    We stopped here on a whim after spending an afternoon in Soho. The service was good. The bakery… Read more
  • 11/20/2012
    1 check-in here
    I always make a stop here after grabbing some sushi at East and the joint looks pretty old school and you definitely get the feel that it's a family ran business.  I always like to support those mom and pops places.

    We ordered about 22 Macarons which comes to about 10 dollars!  The past experiences were rather good and fresh, but like many people describing their treats here as stale I came across a few stale ones myself. It seems to be a hit or miss with a lot of their baked items.

    Their service is good though, so I don't think it would be an issue to ask them for their freshest items.
  • 6/13/2012
    Great place in the area for baked goods!!

    I haven't tried too many of their goodies, but LOVE the raisin scones! Soft, buttery, delicious goodness! Also very cheap!

    I think they have a credit card min so remember to bring cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered