Translation from English

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Barney's-East 59th Street Manhattan

This is actually kind of hilarious--people either love this store or hate it! What reviews!

Edit
  • 660 Madison Ave
    New York, NY 10065
    Upper East Side
  • Transit information 4 5 6 6X N Q R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 826-8900
  • Business website barneys.com
Yelp Ad

Macy's

784 reviews
1.6 Miles away from Barneys New York
Cassandra Y. said "Always LOVE their holiday window decorations. This is my 3rd years visiting NY during holidays. Can't get enough of those…" read more
  • 12/21/2013
    I tend to think of Barney's as being more of a museum than a department store, though it doesn't make me enjoy walking through there any less.  As frugal as I am, I am more than happy to make the exception and make purchases at  Barney's cosmetics department as it is chock-full of unique brands from my friend's company MAKE to the luxurious scents of Le Labo, which every man should try at some point.  The Co-Op section offers a manifold of cutting-edge, trendy fashions and is always fun to peruse as well.  While I don't frequently explore the other departments, I am hardly opposed to doing so.
    • K N.
    • Upper West Side, Manhattan, NY
    • 0 friends
    • 22 reviews
    10/26/2013
    Snooty staff who treat you poorly unless you dress like you have cash to blow.

    Anywhere else is better.
  • 8/23/2013
    Shockingly poor service every time I have been here. I went in twice to look at a certain designer's jewelry and could not get any one to get it out of the case for me!!!! One associate just started folding scarves on top of the display case blocking my view of the jewelry. Another said she didn't have the key.

    I left and returned a few days later, since I was really interested in the designer and her pieces were only sold in a few locations in the city.I felt like I was inconveniencing the staff and still could not get anyone to help me. I ended up buying what I was looking for elsewhere .

    Some lack of staff and service throughout every department. It seems like more of a tourist browsing spot than an actual place to shop. Go to Bergdorfs
  • 7/6/2013
    I think is is more of an "a-ok" store; but there is nothing between being that and a 'fan' so let's give it a four stars mostly for the nicely organization and variety of brands yet it lacks the friendly costumer service of the competition.
    Came here in quick sort of shopping moment looking to spend some gift cards I received; plus looking for a gift for my significant other; but at first we had a little bit of trouble finding anything; it was almost by accident that we stumble into the floor (can't remember which was) that had the mans shoes and the bathing suits and some other casual attire.  As I said before; staff was not friendly neither seem very eager to assist.  They were grouped in a corner talking to themselves while we had to look for our sizes.  When it came to take care of the charges; we were passed on from one register to the next just the same with the cashier.  On top of all that it's super expensive; they should carry my bag out to the taxi for the amount they charge.
    Generally this is store for the reach and famous of course; but glad we found what we were looking for at the end.
  • 10/30/2013
    Fact: George Zimmerman shops here.
    • 2 friends
    • 29 reviews
    11/24/2013
    Awesome service in the mens accessories section by mr Satohiro. One of those experiences that make you want to come back.
  • 10/24/2013
    Don't shop at Barney's N.Y. They discriminate against those of color and racially profile.
  • 10/24/2013
    Barney's oh how I use to Luv u. Now I'm having second thoughts. I'm not stepping in this store again. My husband is a black man and he sure makes enough money compare to all the workers put together in there. You truly disgust me. Stop with the racism. Don't matter what color, age etc don't judge a book by its cover. And for the main sale person that was suspicious, shame on u. I don't care if it's Barneys, gucci and so on learn how to act right. Your not god because you work there so remember that.
  • 12/10/2013
    Barney's sent me the wrong pair of boots on an overnight shipment. I called customer service 10 times and a week later no one has been able to help me get the right pair of boots sent back. Worst customer experience, ever.
  • 4/12/2013
    This review is for the cosmetics section.

    The cosmetic section is like being in a city in a third world country. If you make any eye contact with any of the salespeople you will be HOUNDED. I went to try on lipstick and the salesperson tried to convince me to let her wash my face and put moisturizer on me. I said no. She put foundation around my lips before I could protest. She put on a ton so it was cakey (and the wrong color.) I said it looked bad. She said, "That's because you didn't let me wash your face first." Um no. My regular concealer is not cakey.
    Another salesperson FOLLOWED ME AROUND and tried to shove lipstick in my face.
    When I went to the YSL counter, I swatched a lipstick on my arm. The salesperson said, "Would you like to try that on?" I said, "No thank you." She sighed and nastily said, "I knew you wouldn't." Wtf? That is not how you sell products.

    They are so rude and desperate.
  • 5/8/2013
    1 check-in here
    Customer service extremely lacking. I purchased over 600 dollar shoes here and while the sales person was Ok they did not take down any of my info to let me know when something new came in I would like or a sale. Isn't that sales 101?
    I went shopping at Barney's again today and while I love the selection again the customer service is not good. I inquired about a wallet and the girl bluntly said "we don't have it, only in this color." She then walked away. You would think she would check other stores or maybe help me pick something similar. After reading other reviews I felt I needed to add my experience. Maybe they will take notice.
  • 5/12/2013
    So here's the thing - if I could rate Barney's on selection alone, it would be 6/5 stars. There's 9 floors with everything you can imagine.

    I came here looking for a pair of jeans. I had a vague idea of what I was looking for. Before coming here, I did some research online, but I'm cautious of buying jeans online because the sizing can be all over the place, depending on the brand. Also, I'm the type of person who wants instant gratification when buying nice stuff.

    When I got up to the floor, I browsed the denim section, which was pretty extensive. Although there were probably 4-5 sales people chatting together, not one of them came over to help. It was not busy at all, and I think sales people outnumbered customers. After I found the pair I wanted to try on, I had to find and ask a sales person to help me find a dressing room. After that, they disappeared. When I was ready to check out, I made my way to the register, where they magically found me and rang me up (to get their well deserved sales credit, I'm sure).

    What would've been a 5 star experience? As soon as I started to flip through the stacks of jeans, someone should've approached and asked me if I needed help. They also should've talked about the product I was purchasing. When I tried them on, they should've offered feedback on the fit, offered up suggestions of other stuff if it didn't fit right, etc. When I checked out, they should've asked my name, given me a business card, and acted the slightest bit interested. Life as a Barneys employee must be pretty good if no one is trying to get new clients.

    If I were to compare the experience, it would be exactly the opposite of what I had at the Brooks Brothers Madison Ave store. Buying suits there is arguably the best shopping experience I've ever had.
  • 2/9/2013
    Barneys is one of the better department stores in New York in my opinion. I've been shopping here a little under a year and I actually prefer Barneys to Bergdorf, Bloomingdales, and Saks. I find that the selection here is a lot better than the other stores. The space is very simple, clean and sophisticated. It is also a lot less busy and crowded compared to the other ones listed. I am always able to find something here (albeit the high prices) and usually leave with something, unless I'm just window shopping.

    The sales associates here are also very nice. I can't recall ever having a bad experience with customer service at this location. I know the associates make commission here and usually up-sell and are sometimes pushy, but that's normal at any department store. A wonderful department store, with a nice selection of brands and designers, and great customer service. What more can you ask for?
  • 6/19/2013
    Dear CO-OP shoes on 7- please answer the damn phone, really.  There were shoes I really, really needed and it was 7:30pm.  I played the odds and got in right before eight.  Luckily, they had the amazing Nike Sky Hi Paris edition I wanted and hot Ksubi shades.  The sales people are always nice and not pushy.  They know when you're a shopper and are very accommodating, like shipping from LA when something is out here

    One star off for not answering the phone
  • 4/15/2013
    Brooks Brothers fitting room is by far my favorite place in the city. It comes fully loaded with large floor-to-ceiling mirrors, several elegantly framed pictures, beautifully patterned carpet, a comfy cushioned bench and two couch pillows that make my studio look like a shoebox. I came in to try on a pair of khakis and now I'm completely hooked.

    Day two. I came back today with a few items from different department stores. The lighting here is immaculate.

    Day three. Came here on my lunch break with a sandwich and a romance novel. The heroine is innocent, virginal, and utterly bland. Her name is "Melantha". She ends up swept off her feet by a dashing man named Hawk. He's ill-tempered, violent, promiscuous, and sometimes even a rapist. But his "dangerousness" excites Melantha.

    Day four. I was skeptic at first, but I snuck in my yoga mat this morning. No regrets. Mental flexibility, patience, adaptability, and the ability to handle stress are often cited benefits of yoga and meditation.
  • 6/5/2013
    I went in today and bought a pair of sunglasses that I had been wanting to get. The customer service was BEYOND horrible. In the women's sunglasses section there were 2 people, a guy and a young girl, and while the guy at least tried to help a little without a smile on his face; the girl was beyond nasty, rude and snobby. They seemed to try to make me (the paying customer) feel as if I was inferior than them. And by the look of the other clientele, they seemed to be uncomfortable as well. I know it was only a pair of $400 sunglasses, but we are still the customers and in any type of business the customer has to feel welcomed, this was quite the opposite. I didn't feel welcomed AT ALL (and I have to say I was well dressed and presentable for that matter).
    They better make their "employees" lose the attitude or fire them, I can't believe how people like that can get hired. You're just a sales person at a department store. I wish them luck, but I much rather spend my money somewhere else.
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    9/7/2013
    I went to the Shoe Department on the 7th floor. Had a specific pair of boots I wanted in black. It took 5 min for a sales person to see I needed help. Finally a gentleman came, I told him my size but the color didn't seem right. He said this was the faded black. Anyway not what I wanted but I was under the impression this was the only color. Online they had both and the color I wanted. He should have gave me the option and told me they didn't carry the color I wanted in the store. That information could have been helpful. I wore them around the house and now they say they can't exchange them. Okay fine. The sales lady who helped me this time was rude and so unhelpful. I work in a luxury environment so I can relate when you experience poor service. Lose the attitude. You work in sales and it's your job.
  • 10/7/2012
    One of my favorite stores in the city.  Impeccably curated selection of clothing and accessories, along with a very friendly and helpful staff.  Even during sale seasons, IMO they are still more organized and better stocked than their competitors on 5th Ave.

    The cosmetics section in the basement is worth a visit.  They carry a wide range of products, including some Asian and European brands that you wouldn't see anywhere else.  However please be aware that if you have dark circles or large pores, they will point them out and make you feel a little ugly.  Even if you're just shopping for shower gel, that does not excuse you.  Is it rude?  I don't know.  Are Asian moms rude?  They're just looking out for you.
  • 8/5/2013
    2 check-ins here
    Mmmmm...shopping. I could do without the uppity nature of most of the patrons here, but then again, what can you expect? If you know what you're looking for and know how much you're willing to drop on something then by all means, go for it. Not the best place to loiter around and window shop since a) You'll likely be tempted and impulse buy something, b) A salesperson will ask you if you are interested in buying something and then look at you sideways when you say no or c) You'll drool on something you love and lust after and inevitably want to buy it.
    • 19 friends
    • 7 reviews
    7/29/2012
    Barneys is one of my favorite department stores, and I wanted to check out their flagship store while I visited NYC. This place is HUGE (4-5 stories) and you can kill hours here, but it will also destroy your wallet. Most of the items here are out of my price range, but it's still fun to browse. I enjoyed trying on their junya watanabe and Comme des Garçons apparel.

    They have a great selection of denim on the CO-OP floor and probably one of the best places to try on several different types of raw denim in one location.

    Quality clothing, but comes at a high price.
  • 5/21/2012
    Review of Customer Service/ Telephone Sales--Madison Ave Flagship (if you are in the TL/DR crowd, skip immediately to the bottom)

    Day after Christmas, I opened my browser with great aplomb to find a beautiful Paul Smith cashmere scarf, half-price.  Such an item goes from ludicrously $$$. . . to "I think I can swing this" . . . to (by December 27) "I MUST HAVE THIS NOW!"

    Except the tale turns sad:  item appears unavailable when I go to order.  Not yet despondent, I called the nearest major market with a B& M Barneys (Dallas)--and receive wondrous support.  Associate searches the floor though draws a blank.  However she provides the number of the Madison Ave store, informing me that records indicate they have 4 of the Holy Grail in stock.

    Excited with the thrill of the chase--I WISH the story would end & I could write the requisite 5* love fest.  Instead I effectively get the sought-after-scarf ordered, agreeing to pay standard shipping.  I then log back in & order a few of the sundry items I needed (free flat rate shipping) through the web.

    The rub:  About a week later, my card had not been charged for the princely scarf.  I had to telephone NY, NY again just to check ("please tell me there are no problems!").

    The rest of the story can be shortened: (1) Scarf finally arrived (explanation: "had been backed-up" in shipping dept at flagship store) about 2 weeks after the order.  Lovely, great, fine.  (2) Box of sundries from the internet order arrived before the scarf.  However in opening the box from the online order I was missing one pair of hand-linked dress socks (ordered multiple pairs).

    Emailed the customer service address with a thoughtful request to look into the matter.  No response.  Called twice during plum middle of the workday in January --rang through... "call back later" said the voicemail.  Sent one more email request a refund/ or ship additional missing pair.  Was floored at the response. "Sorry- records show that your box was packed and included all items.  Unless you can prove that you were missing an item, we decline to provide a refund."

    PROVE IT ?  Seriously ??   The thought of Barney's customer base doing an "unboxing" video of an order of socks amuses me.  Obviously I just let it go.

    Cliffs Notes:  Ecstatic to get a sweet, sweet scarf on sale through calling the Dallas store; NY flagship store is totally disorganized; customer service sent me a farcical email--one of those things you always assume could never happen.

    [Author's note--I vacillated between 1 & 2 stars in this review. But no. I'm not going to "bump them up" just because I was happy with the Dallas sales associate & happy I could circumvent the website being "sold out."  This review, as noted, is for NY telephone sales & customer service only.]
    • L K.
    • Cambridge, MA
    • 7 friends
    • 126 reviews
    10/16/2012
    My favourite department store in the entire world.

    Threeasfour, Sevan Bicakci, Junya, Dries...*sigh*
  • 10/23/2013
    barneys new york is racist!!!!!!!!!!!!! period!!!!!!!!!! they are disgusting and despicable. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered