Translation from English

Friday, December 20, 2013

Aquavit- Midtown East

Highly rated Scandinavian --there are not a lot of them in NYC.

This one is pricey and one person calls it "Nouveau Scandinavian."

Edit
  • 12/13/2013
    Listed in Star Traction
    If you can't find it here, you can't find it anywhere. That's how I feel about New York and what brought me to Aquavit. It's rare to find upscale Nordic food. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest which has a significant Scandinavian population, but no Scandinavian restaurants. I've also lived in Southern California where Scandinavian food mainly exists in the touristy Solvang which is mostly Danish.

    When I mentioned Aquavit, every New Yorker replied, "I've been there, but a long time ago." The restaurant didn't look old enough to have existed a long time ago. The style of food also wasn't from a long time ago. I'm guessing Aquavit has changed with the times.

    Because of the rare Nordic influence, I ordered rather traditional at the bar. I started with the sampler of three types of herring. I hate to admit this, but if I were blindfolded, I couldn't tell the different types of herring apart because they all tasted similar - just different types of highly fishy fish. The Swedish meatballs were just like the ones at Ikea. Just kidding. (I've never had Ikea meatballs so I really don't know.) Not kidding, the meatballs themselves were ordinary. The sides of lingonberries, potato puree, and pickled cucumber salad made the dish fun to eat and showed the delicate combination of contrasting acids and sweetness being presented. The contrasting harmony of tastes was most evident in the "Autumn Dashi" which was the best dish of the three. Although the dish used all earthy ingredients, the soup contained foie gras, sliced radish, kelp, and a ragu of oxtail. Mixing the earthiness from vegetable, animal, and sea can be a dangerous recipe which chef Marcus Jernmark cleverly avoids. Of course, I had to order this dish because it had foie gras. I do this on every visit to New York since the sustainable foie was banned in my home state of California.

    The bar offers cocktails with a Scandinavian twist which mainly comes from infused aquavits. Like the dashi, the "Gothenberg Gibson" used kelp in the form of kelp aquavit. It was a tight, dry drink that was suitable for rye bread-like flavors. The "Madison Avenue Manhattan" used fig and cardamom aquavit to create a fuller, more satisfying Manhattan.

    There were no earthshaking dishes that I would rave endlessly about, but I deeply enjoyed the harmonious combinations with detailed prep work in a satisfying, homey comfort food way.
  • 10/27/2013 Updated review
    Celebrated our 10yr wedding anniversary there and enjoyed every minute (we were there for 4.5 hours). We ordered the Chef's Tasting menu with Beverage Pairing (instead of wine, 1 course had sake and the other beer). There are 8 courses on the menu but it ends up being like 15 courses because they bring out a lot of surprises.

    If you are craving something in particular, don't go here. BUT do go if you want to try many exciting and flavorful dishes. The food combinations are interesting and hard to describe- you just have to try it for yourself.

    Everything was A+++ (food, service, and ambiance)
    Serously, Woohoo! As GOOD as it gets!
    7/1/2010 Previous review
    One of my favorite restaurants in NYC.  It is pricey so we only go there for special occasions, but… Read more
  • 8/4/2013
    Aquavit is a very interesting alternative to the usual suspects for fine-dining in Midtown, as it offers a modern take on Nordic cuisine.  I was impressed with the quiet but efficient service, and the attention to detail evident in both the preparation and presentation of the food.  The ambiance is also distinctive, with modern decor and a hushed vibe, perfect for facilitating actual conversation.

    We were started off with a complimentary canapĂ©, and then were offered three different kinds of bread.  The Danish bread, in particular, was a stand-out--warm and nutty, and perfect with butter drizzled on it.   The portions, in general, are not massive; so it's not such a bad idea to devour a fair amount of bread.  I tried the Charred Gravlax (salmon, served with a dill and mustard sauce) as an appetizer--miniscule portion, but very well seasoned, and exquisite in taste.  I also sampled the Herring Trio, which was excellent.

    For the main, I'd recommend the Scandinavian Bouillabaisse over the Swedish Meatballs.  The Bouillabaisse was perfectly portioned, beautifully presented, and full of delicious scallops, cod, shrimp, and mussels.  The Meatballs were served with an interesting cream sauce, but the meat itself was rather bland.

    The Mango Pana Cotta was a delicious and refreshing dessert for summer time, and probably a better choice over the Chocolate Mousse.  I will make a special mention of the blueberry ice cream, which is just bursting with intense flavor; but it's not for everyone!  I was personally gobsmacked!  The espresso was fantastic, and they brought out some interesting cookies with the coffee.  Needless to say, I left feeling very satiated :)
  • 11/12/2013
    This restaurant reminds me of a gifted athlete who keeps getting in trouble with the law. Just a few examples.

    The bar is never crowded, possibly because it has uncomfortable bar stools. The lounge is also not optimized for hanging out and racking up large bills.

    Aquavit's food pairs well with champagne. For a while, the menu offered a mind blowing grower champagne available by the glass. Now it has reverted back to second tier boring choices available at your local wine store.

    This restaurant has terrific food. But it's not as much of a destination as it could be if it expanded its wines by the glass program and provided comfortable seating at the bar.

    Sometimes you want to plan in advance and eat in a dining room but more often you want to eat at a bar with a friend on the spur of the moment without a reservation (maybe this applies only to Gen X). Aquavit is missing out on the latter market.
  • 8/19/2013
    LOVE LOVE LOVE.
    there really isn't too much to say about this place. its fabulous, beautiful, innovative...we had a party of 6 and everyone enjoyed it. a must do dining experience.
  • 7/22/2013
    I've made my friends fall in love with this place. And I blame another friend for falling in love with this place. The food is impeccable and the drinks are magical. We catch up here a lot and drink lots of Prosecco. Okay, okay, I do most of the Prosecco drinking but it's definitely worth a trip for the food and drinks.

    I love the decor and the vibe here. You get great service without feeling like you don't belong. Every time I come here, there is work convention taking place. It's great for a social environment minus the pressure of feeling like you need to talk to someone just because.

    I recommend you try the any of the fish dishes here. It's just that good!
    • 17 friends
    • 171 reviews
    7/15/2013
    About a year ago, during restaurant week, a friend of mine had a lackluster experience with the service at Aquavit.  He emailed the restaurant about it and they offered him a $100 gift card.  I jumped at the chance to try this place when he invited me.

    First off, we were given great service for the duration of the night. We were greeted by the head of public relations for the restaurant. She was very pleasant. It seemed like we didn't go more than 5 minutes without being served an amuse-bouche or something we'd ordered from the menu. Among the highlights for me were pickled vegetables and quail eggs, the heirloom tomatoes with cheese ice cream appetizer, and a chilled corn chowder that was served in a smoky jar.  My entree was decent, Arctic Char with crayfish and broccoli puree. It was a small amount of food for an entree and I wished that I'd asked if the crayfish were served in their shells (they weren't).

    I enjoyed the cocktails with actual Aquavit in them. Both the White Negroni and their take on a Manhattan were enjoyable.  For Dessert, we were given a plate of assorted items. The cinnamon sugar doughnut stuffed with some sort of cream was the highlight of that course.

    My one complaint is that our meal ended up costing around $200 and I was barely full at the end of the night. This was with the maximum amount of amuse-bouches that not every table receives, 2 appetizers, bread, an entree, and 2 rounds of dessert. I really enjoyed everything though. Patrick Stewart was sitting in the next booth over from us. If Aquavit is good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me.
  • 6/27/2013
    thanks to restaurant week -

    Loved their ambiance and atmosphere. it is a sophisticated place with good food. You won't regret to check this place out!
  • 7/6/2013
    Been here a couple of times this summer for lunch, and love it.  It's very close to work, but I'd actually make a trip for it.  The food is very good, and the menu is quite unique.

    If you're going for lunch, I'd actually recommend the Prix Fixe.  You have a choice of one of two appetizers and one of two main dishes, and you get a dessert of panna cotta.  You'll drop $42 for some excellent food (a couple of the best dishes on the menu are on the Prix Fixe), and the Prix Fixe represents quite a value: (you basically are getting dessert free).  Plus, they don't skimp on portions when you order off the Prix Fixe.  We paid attention to this: some of us ordered meatballs off the Prix Fixe and some of us ordered it a la carte, and the portions were the same.

    The food here, as I said, is great.  Try the gravlax, which is delicious.  It's presented differently than usual; instead of thin slices, it's a small cylinder.  Very good, though.  Flavorful and smokey!  I had a tuna tartare at one point, and it was amazing.  Very well put together.  Nice texture with a crunch topping, but it really let the tuna flavor shine through.  The meatballs are just amazing.  The salmon burger is huge, but reportedly great.  The char looks good, too.

    For dessert, the Cardamom Panna Cotta is tasty, and comes with the Prix Fixe.  Oh, and when they come around to give you bread, get the rye - it's something else!

    I really want to go back and actually try some of the aquavit - they have a ton of different flavors on the menu.

    Service is good and attentive, and presentation is beautiful.

    This is one of my favorite lunches in Midtown.  It's a good value, and very, very good.  Do it, do it, do it!
  • 8/10/2013
    Aquavit is on my NYC's top 5 restaurant list.  I was surprised that Aquavit has been awarded only one Michelin star.  Looking at a list of 2 and 3 Michelin starred restaurants in NYC, Aquavit deserves at least 2.  It's not just the service and the elegant, spacious, airy atmosphere that makes this place special, but the creativity in each dish is just extraordinary.  We had the chef's tasting menu and we were delighted and surprised by each dish - beauty, unexpected textures, components, techniques.  It appeals to all of your senses.  Start with the white cosmopolitan followed by the chef's tasting menu.
  • 5/13/2013
    Listed in New York reviews
    I first encountered this restaurant when needing a private dining room for a team dinner. Even though I worked a block away and walked past it every evening, I didn't even know it was there until the events team showed me a menu!

    The team dinner went very well - and they were right, we definitely did not need a four flight tasting of aquavit per person! One shot of that stuff is lethal!

    So, I have been back a few times since, both for lunch and supper. I like the meatballs, but haven't tried much else. The wine list is lovely, the cocktails are better. The service is  smooth and friendly, but the place does feel a little cold and sterile. It is good for a clinical work meeting, but I wouldn't go on a date here or a large group of friends for a hilarious evening.
  • 2/15/2013
    Good service, mediocre food, great atmosphere but i'm not the type to like expensive small dish meals-- that is more my mother.
    I didn't know what to expect for Scandinavian Nordic food at all but i was willing to try.

    Therefore, as a vegetarian, i didn't quite enjoy to the utmost last night. Service was great, the sommelier knew how to recommend, my cocktail was great (it was a cucumber flavored  martini that was not too sweet, just the way i like it) but i like to feel full after i ate and i wasn't that full.

    The first course on the V-day menu was the scallop/ tomatoe raw dish -- my tomato was too sour but the scallop that boy had was good but not spectacular.

    My second dish was a fennel salad-- again, a light vinaigrette was applied and it was nothing that was amazing that made me say "omg that was so great".

    Third dish was the best-- barley with truffle taste-- i love truffle taste and this was no exception. It was warm too and i like my dishes warm.

    My last dish before dessert was a mushroom, veggie dish which was salty and wasn't particular spectacular either. I liked it but didn't love it.

    Dessert is usually my favorite but the chocolate tart/mousse dish was too sweet and had too much going on. THere were some crispy cookie stuff on one side, iced gelato/sorbet on another and it was just too much stuff and made the dish too busy, i thought.

    Very good service but i just didn't think it was worth the price... it was midtown and too fancy for my taste.

    Maybe the ala carte menu would be better? But thanks but no thanks....
    • V K.
    • Manhattan, NY
    • 4 friends
    • 113 reviews
    5/3/2013
    Came here with my girl friends for one of my final meals in NYC.
    Food was great. Loved the ambiance. Service was great--they weren't too intrusive.
  • 3/8/2013
    Came here for drinks after work recently. Had two glasses of the Sauvignon blanc, which was quite tasty, and a very strong Hendricks martini. The bartenders are great and appear to really enjoy creating new cocktails.

    After we paid our bill, our bartender brought my friend and I over two glasses of their house aquavit - one horseradish and one cucumber. Both were quite nice! I will definitely be returning. I really enjoyed the drinks and overall ambiance. I plan to make reservations for dinner here soon.
  • 3/8/2013
    I am being a bit generous with my rating with this restaurant because how often do you get to review a Scandinavian restaurant? "Nordic Cuisine is my favorite!" said no one ever but the menu and presentation at this restaurant is actually surprisingly pleasant.

    I had the fixed menu and lost track of all the food that was served as they throw in extra dishes throughout dinner. I wouldn't say the food was particularly memorable but if you are coming in not knowing what to expect (which is all of us, minus our Nordic buddies) then you will be pleasantly surprised. Service is also exquisite so a star for that.

    My one negative comment is for the decor and ambiance. Yeah our  Ikea founding Northern brothers are practical with furniture and mastered clean designs but high office chairs for dining? Uhm not very romantic. Naturally, although I was here for a date everyone else was making business deals. (That said if you want to ogle hot men in suits then please consider it a positive).

    Bonus: It is also a check off the Michelin Star Restaurants list.
  • 8/16/2013
    I came here this summer for the three course business lunch.  I started with the smoked salmon.  Absolutely delicious -- this was the highlight of the meal!  I then got the meatballs.  Frankly, I think this tasted very similar to the meatballs I can get at IKEA.  And considering how much I was paying, I was expecting more.  Perhaps more delicate plating, or some kind of distinguishing flavor.  I have to give them some credit for the huge serving.  I wasn't able to finish my heap of meatballs.  As for dessert, I mildly remember ordering something with mango. Overall, a mediocre, overpriced lunch in midtown.  The decor is nice, but unfortunately, also looks like everything is straight out of IKEA.
  • 8/19/2013
    An unforgettable experience. Every course had its own unique, amazing flavor. Aquavit is unlike anything I've ever had.
  • 10/19/2012
    1 check-in here
    "Does your girlfriend particularly like Scandinavian food?"

    "No, it's not that. The particular type of cuisine doesn't matter. She just like fancy food. It needs to be on small plates. And incredibly expensive. Then she's happy."

    This was the conversation that my bf had with his colleagues in the week leading up to my birthday. He chose Aquavit because it has (in his words) "a snooty environment." We both found nothing snooty about the restaurant. The service was gracious, attentive, and welcoming. An incredible touch that Aquavit has is how they served both of us at the exact same time. Two servers would lay down our plates at the moment and when we were done, they would come by at the same time to whisk our plates away. It was a show unto itself.

    The new fall menu was out. They no longer have the 7-course menu, but the 4-course menu (plus lots of extras) for $85 pp was not an outrageous price for the level of service and quality of the food. We thought we got a very good deal for everything we got.

    He had a Scotch and I ordered a grapefruit mojito for our drinks. I liked the bright citrusy flavor, but I thought the mint leaves were overly muddled. They were disintegrating and the leaves would get sucked up through the straw as i was trying to drink.

    They brought out some sort of delicious warm cheese bread that was like Brazil's pao de queso. Four delicate little round bites of fragrant and warm goodness served on a platform really, a bowl that was filled with little beans or something.

    A couple moments later, a waiter carrying a slate with rye, sourdough, and the flat Swedish bread came by. Ben and I elected to have both the rye bread and sourdough. The rye bread was in the shape of a mini-loaf and still warm. They brought out softened butter and flakes of sea salt.

    Next was the amuse bouche, which was smoked barley, mushroom, and paper thin slices of radish in a celery root cream sauce served in a little airtight container. Puffs of smoke swirled inside the container until they were released.

    For my first course, I had the steak tartar, which was incredible. I loved the contrast of textures between the tender steak and crunchy Dutch rye seeds. I adored the perfectly boiled quail egg that came with the tartar. Soooo cute! And delicious. Everything tastes better when they're miniaturized. Ben had the diver scallop tartar, which was beautifully plated to look like a the floor of an ocean.

    For my second course I had the charred langoustine with maroon carrots and Ben had a cod dish. The langoustine was perfectly cooked. It was rich, unctuous, and still had the sweet taste of the delicate briny sea. Ben's second was absolutely amazing. I highly recommend that you get it. The cod was like butter. So tender and rich. I never knew cod could be a transcendental experience.

    Third course, I had duck breast with foie gras and he had Nordic Seafood (a medley of lobster, scallops, and fish). More perfection from the duck breast. Cooked medium so it still retained with lovely red color, the breast was tender and juicy. I fell in love with the seared foie gras. It was so smooth and rich. I could feel tears of joy in my eyes as I savored the foie gras.

    For my dessert, I had the peach mousse and Ben ordered the "Chocolate and Texture." After having such a rich meal, I wanted a lighter dessert. The Chocolate and Texture was chocolate in four different ways. Because it was my birthday, the chef sent out a gratuit third dessert. We're savoring and enjoying our desserts, each bite being quite delectable. Even Ben who is not a dessert person, enjoyed himself.

    But this was not the end! After we finished, Aquavit gave us more dessert! First two little beignets filled with caramel and coated in cinnamon sugar. Then more little bites of beautiful dessert that looked like jewels against the dark gray slate serving plate. There were a tiny little macaron, fruit jelly candy, a square of lemon mousse, a chocolate chipped coconut madeleine, and other bites I can't remember. And just when I think it's over, they come out with a lovely little package of homemade kladdkaka (chocolate brownie) for us to take home. The kladdkaka was fantastic. The little cake was rich in chocolate, but light in texture and moist. I loved it.

    I had a wonderful dinner here. Aquavit made my birthday a memorable one.
  • 8/16/2013
    1 check-in here
    Fine dining with a nouveau Scandinavian flair. Tapas/taste style menu in a couple versions with wine pairings if you prefer. Preparation and presentation are exquisite and highly creative. Jazz music completes the setting.
  • 4/11/2013
    My family and I did the tasting, 115$ per person. The food was delectable. We had most of our dishes clearly explained to us as the table was being set, and the few that were not clearly explained were explained but by a man with an un-comprehendable accent. The sou-chef came out many times to speak to us, who also was able to share  as much detail as to where he actually bought a minor element in the langoustine course. The sommelier was excellent as well, not only well versed in the beverage pairing, but was happy and enthused to share his thoughts on the dishes especially the cheese course.

    My overall recommendation: This is a great place, but don't go there expecting to  enjoy it and spend less than $150 per person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered