Translation from English

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Nomad Hotel- Flatiron/East Midtown

A lot of reviews for this place, all very good..lots of raves

Fairly new place

  • 1170 Broadway
    New York, NY 10001
    b/t 27th St & 28th St in Flatiron
  • Transit information F M N R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 796-1500
  • Business website thenomadhotel.com
  • 9/5/2013
    The Good - Spacious rooms, comfortable soaking tub (with book holder!), very friendly and helpful staff, tasty restaurant with a sitting area underneath a glass ceiling, cozy library bar, and located within one block of the N and R lines and a few blocks to the 1 and 6 lines.

    The Bad - A little noisy at night (but didn't keep us up), the neighborhood is not the best and I felt a little hesitant coming back very late at night from the 1 and 6 lines because of the walk, and it would have been nice to have another pillow option in the room (the ones we had were really soft and flat).

    The Ugly - None.  Decor is chic without trying too hard.  In the room, old (looking) polished hardwood floors, leather headboard with engraved detailing, interesting framed pictures, beautiful rug underneath the bed, and velvet patterned screen dividing bed and shower areas.  The screen did make the room appear smaller though.  The lobby bathroom (down a flight of stairs) was beautifully tiled in yellow, grey and white.
  • 8/18/2013
    Stayed in a suite room the beginning of August 2013.  My boyfriend and I were looking for an alternative to our usual Park Gansevoort locale in the FlatIron area.  The room was a decent size and we liked the decor.  I loved the hardwood floors and the bathroom was a good size as well.  The bed was really comfortable so no complaints about the room.

    We ate at the restaurant for dinner and the food was excellent!  I had a scallop dish which was delicious.  We went to the Library Bar afterwards which was just OK in my opinion.  It was just a bar, nothing spectacular.  Kinda boring actually but then again, it was only a Monday night.

    Dee at the valet was awesome and went out of his way to get me a discount on parking from the lot I parked in across the way and also offered to give me a tour of the hotel.  The folks at the front desk were very helpful as well and managed to move my restaurant reservation from a 915 to a more suitable 730.  All in all, a great experience at the NoMad and will return.
  • 8/9/2013
    hands down best hotel I have stayed at in manhattan (at this price point).  I splurged on a jetsetter deal and got a suite. It was incredible.  725 square feet in new york - huge bathroom, separate sitting area, and the decor is amazing.  This room was bigger and better than any of my friends' apartments in this town.

    The service has been great, the decor of the hotel is amazing, and the restaurant was delicious.  I saw a few celebs eating dinner there last night near me.

    The only drawback was that the noise from broadway can be a bit much - there were drunk people singing and cars blasting music until 4AM, but I can't fault the NoMad for that.
    • M H.
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    10/18/2013
    1 check-in here
    This hotel is simply stunning, my rather amazing room even has a view of the Empire State from the claw foot bathtub.

    The decor matches the photos on the website (rare,) the concierge team is warm, helpful, and just absolutely lovely - Shauna is amaze - and I frankly don't want to leave.

    Shall have to force myself out the door though - if only to buy a lotto ticket in the hope I can stay longer!!
  • 7/24/2013
    Was in NY literally for half a day and night for a quick meeting and meet up with a special friend. A friend booked me at the NoMad. I never even saw outside of NY once I arrived from the Airport and back to the Airport again for an early Flight.

    I have to say, this place is Classy. From the employees to the Restaurant. The Ambiance is a plus.

    The restaurant on the other hand, is one of the best I have ever been to. The bar is second to none Mixologist! I had the Tuna Tartar and the Duck!! I can still taste it typing.  A must to go back to.
  • 4/26/2013
    19 check-ins here
    I recently moved from Midtown near to the "up-and-coming" neighborhood of NoMad to get away from the touristy craziness of Herald Square and now literally 5 minutes walk from my workplace. I've passed by this hotel many many times and always curious to find out how the inside looks like. One day, decided to chill and hang out at the lobby during lunch time for a bit on a rainy day.

    I must say it's a gorgeous chic sort of a cross between British and Parisian boutique hotel. But what I was most impressed about was the hospitality. It wouldn't be an exaggeration that this is probably the ONLY hotel where the doormen opened the doors for you with a greeting by 'Good Morning Gentlemen'. I was wearing super casual clothing and carrying a Starbucks coffee in my hand. Sat at the lobby with my iPhone just chillin' for hours and wasn't questioned/bothered nor given an ugly face for staying around.

    Now, that says much, many hotels in NYC don't even have their doormen open the doors for you nor greet you with a smile. Not to mention, hotel security tends to loiter you around and treat you like a criminal or a thief if you sit at the lobby even though you're. As a former hospitality professional, as long as they're not acting strangely and NOT a homeless person, I believe it's OK to sit at the lobby as long as they're not doing any harm or acting/behaving civilized.

    Would love to come back for a drink at their 'Library' bar. Great chic and cool environment!! If Ace Hotel one street north is a Hipster, NoMad Hotel is a Bourgeoisie sans the pretentiousness.
  • 4/3/2013
    I must admit, the library room is a pretty nifty place to have a drink. If you like books, even better! Depending on the waitress, though, you might get snooty looks if you actually check out any of the books along the shelves. And yes, this place is as cool and chic as people say it is.

    Okay, walking in for the first time, I was impressed with the black *everything.* The walls were black even. Things got a little worse when I was trying to figure out where I was supposed to go (there are corridors that lead in every which way). The people who worked there didn't seem very interested in showing us the way, either. We wandered around like lost tourists, passing several different bars and dining areas until we eventually found our way to the library room (that was what we were there for). We sat down, and the waitress came to take our drink and food orders. One of the guys I was with, who's really into books about New York, was busy looking at all the interesting books on the shelves; she was not amused. I told her we needed a minute and she rolled her eyes and walked away.

    With the waitress gone, we had a minute to just check things out. This room is pretty impressive, even if it looks a bit fake, like a movie set. I still liked the atmosphere. The people sitting around the area mostly looked like they were on business, but it was around lunch on a weekday, so I guess that made sense. The walls were lined with books, separated by category, and there were a lot of books.

    We did eventually order our drinks and chicken, and I'll just say no more about the waitress. She wasn't bad, just indifferent. I didn't have to talk to her again after placing my order, so that's that. We stayed for about 45 minutes, and it really was a nice place to relax, to get away from the busy outside world for a bit.

    If it's your first time here, the bathroom is a journey to get to. It's tucked away on a different floor, at the end of 7-9 turns, corridors, passageways, and stairs--I'm actually not sure how I found it. Finally, would be rated higher if not for the waitress.

    Summed up: a nice place to duck into in the middle of the day; it really feels like a different place once inside, away from Broadway and the million people outside. Decor is beautiful, even if a bit unauthentic. If you're in the area and have a free moment, come in and have a drink, do it in the library room.
  • 8/22/2013
    Love this hotel for it's library and bar, decor and location.  I love the fact that the lobby isn't a scene.  It has a really understated coolness to it.  Rooms size decent for NY and service is spot on.  I think I finally found my go to NYC hotel.
  • 3/30/2013
    1 check-in here
    The NoMad hotel was dressed in a darkly warm suit that invited me into it's styled venue that was the opposite of the normal commercial hotel. With stark Victorian and Beaux Arts themed rooms, I felt like I had walked back in time and I was treated extremely well as the guest of the hotel.

    I think it was the pictures of the venue that lured me in as I was looking to impress a friend with my best answer for an evening we would always remember. When I passed that little pale blue felt lined box to her in the Library, the venue, the Sommelier's suggestion, and the glowing atmosphere contributed to the radiance of the stars inside.

    Our room was a king sized suite and on the pivotal corner of the hotel that looked over Broadway and 28th Street. Bright and sunny, it was overflowing with nuances and luxurious comfort. There were many old school touches that made me laugh and think of visiting my grandparents home nearly 40+ years ago such as the umbrella in the walk in closet, the towels under the sink, and the thick wooden doors.

    Sinking into the deep bed, our minds passed from the present, any signs of stress disappeared, and the world came alive again. While we only stayed a night, it felt longer by far and in a good way, too.

    While I normally stay at another venue in the Flatiron District that reminds me of an IKEA show case bedroom, the NoMad was an experience unto itself that I look forward to repeating when I stay in NYC.
  • 2/21/2013
    1 check-in here
    Wow, what a place!!! The NoMad hotel is super cool and über chick. I didn't check out any of their hotel rooms b/c I was just there with a friend having drinks in one of the hotel bars, but from what I experienced, this place is the real deal. It's interesting b/c when you first go inside, you really have no indication that this place is a hotel. As soon as you enter the main door, you are standing in a square-shaped room with 3 sets of "fire doors" on each wall. One set of doors leads to the lobby, one set leads to the main dining area / restaurant, and the other door leads to hotel rooms. It's almost like they're trying to relive the speakeasy spirit of the 1920s with inconspicuousness and secret doors! Very cool.

    Inside the hotel is quite a sight to see. The style is very classic looking... and masculine--that is, there's lot of dark wood, but the place is styled by a contemporary design mixed with old-fashioned sensibility. It's absolutely beautiful (or should I say handsome). In fact, a couple that I know was in town vetting the NoMad as a possible location to host their wedding. I'd certainly love to get married in this place!!

    Note: Check out the Library bar when you're at the NoMad. It's amazing!
  • 8/17/2013
    Always looking for that funky bohemian place to rest our heads and we've found our place in New York. The staff without you knowing it go out of their way to make your stay memorable. First Bryan made reservations 28 days in advance of our arrival for their acclaimed restaurant then followed up to reconfirm. 'D' went out if his way to find a same day eyeglass store when mine broke. Michelle texted a restaurant to say we were coming and to treat us right. Then she follows up to make sure we arrived and enjoyed.  The room is perfectly funky with superb quality fixtures and the hugest towels. The bed and pillows are the best. We'll definitely be back.
  • 6/9/2013
    five sexy stars.

    never felt more taken care of at a hotel.
  • 9/5/2012
    Picky Friends loved it!

    Had some friends in town who opted to try out this hotel for a change. They both raved about it. The three of us took out the hotel's beach cruisers for the afternoon and had a blast.

    Great staff
    Awesome location
    Great rooftop - amazing Empire State views
    Decadent lobby and lounge
    So not pretentious!!

    Overall amazing experience for my friends. Not surprised as Ace Hotel owners know what they're doing.

    Date Rating: 8
    Pick up Scale: 7

    Strong Suggestion: ride the bikes, get some Korean food at Ms. Korea & don't skip the library lounge.
  • 4/19/2013
    There are three sections you can go in the lobby: the restaurant, the bar and the library room inside. People are usually sitting in the library room in small groups or hanging around by the bar, great cocktail menu. Its usually full so I would recommend coming here at a earlier time. The entire place is very nice, dark, intimate, very suitable for quiet dates and small gathering.
  • 9/30/2012
    Review for Hotel Only

    My stay at The NoMad was perfection!  From the uber helpful staff trying to get me in as early as possible upon my red eye arrival, to allowing me a late check out for my red eye departure. My room was fabulously comfortable, quiet with thoughtful amenites( an iHome clock radio which also serves to charge iPhone& iPad) to gazillion thread count sheets, fabulous European toiletries, slippers, robe...truly creature comforts.  Doormen were off the chart helpful & friendly!  Servce unparalled all across the board!  Excellence in full Measure~
  • 5/8/2013
    Great meal.  Not perfect
  • 4/21/2012
    First to Review
    The best hotel I can imagine. Perfect. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous; the room we stayed in had 14 foot ceilings with nearly floor to ceiling windows. The interior design was flawless with many wonderful artful details. So often hotels can feel stuffy, standardized, and sanitary. The NoMad is rich with character, vibe, and class. A very convenient location just a few minutes away from the Flatiron and some of NYC's best parks. The staff was extremely helpful and wonderfully hospitable.

    The downstairs Library Bar is a great place to have after dinner drinks. The menu is fantastic and inventive. This place is not uptight or pretentious; the classic soul and R&B music made everything relaxed and comfortable. The bartender's customized cocktail is a fun item that we tried more than once. The breakfast was delicious. The two of us couldn't decide so had to order 3 different breakfasts.

    I proposed to my girlfriend during this trip and couldn't imagine staying in a more perfect place than the NoMad Hotel. Very sexy and romantic. Stay here, you will not regret it.
  • 5/16/2012
    The place is so new you can still smell the fresh paint. I had a great stay, and while it was awesome like all the reviews, I think it still has a few more things to fix if it wants to truly earn its title as luxury hotel (and justify the $400+/night pricetag).

    The good:
    + Decor and furnishings were top-notch and just beautiful - I could tell that it was designed by someone who was a traveler, and took the time to think about what makes a hotel a home for a fellow traveler. Little touches like slippers, luxurious linens, and the dimmers on all the lighting were greatly appreciated. One nit pick would be the sound proofing; I was expecting that more could have been done on the windows to shield some of the strest noise (a big problem at the Ace) but found that from my second floor room, the sound-proofing was fairly mediocre.

    + The bar (especially the library) is fantastic. I worry that it will become too popular! Maison Kitsune is a wonderful addition (and expensive pit stop!) to the retail scene in the area; it's a perfect match for the vibe of the hotel.

    + The "needs work"
    Service is an area that I thought was spotty -- not that anyone did anything poorly, but more an absence of warmth/care that you would expect from a luxury hotel. A few quick examples - no one asked me at check-in if I wanted any help with my bags (i only had hand-carry bags, but that's beside the point). I had to ask to be directed to where the guest elevators were (no one talked about amenities, location of anything, etc). Upon checkout, no one asked me if I enjoyed my stay or if anything was amiss -- typically that's the first question that should come out of anyone's mouth at checkout time.

    Will definitely be returning. The lovely bathtub alone makes me swoon. But let's work on the spotty areas and I'll be an even happier camper.
  • 11/8/2012
    The NoMad Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in the city. Although the vibe is definitely trendy, the environment is warm and welcoming thanks to the wonderful staff.
    The room I stayed in had an adorable nook off the main bedroom outfitted with a comfortable chair and writing desk. The art and decor are appropriate and interesting.
    The bar (especially the library room) is my favorite aspect of the NoMad--the drinks are amazing, and it's lovely to sit in one of their sofas to read and drink in luxury.
    If you get a chance, please try the restaurant: it is memorable and very refined. Bonus: the hotel is pet-friendly.
    • 0 friends
    • 57 reviews
    8/22/2012
    LOVE the NoMad!

    I've been to the bar twice (actually I think 3 times), the restaurant once for lunch, got bottle service in the Library, and stayed in the hotel for my bfs birthday (we are NYers but like to stay in different hotels)

    The bar is a great scene, it is very lively and they have amazing, innovative drinks. Have had almost half the menu by now, some of my favorites are:
    Hot Lips
    Repossession
    Paris is Burning
    among other amazing options. Ask for the bartenders choice! He will tailor your drink to your specific tastes. I've had one made for me and one for my boyfriend and they were both exceptional
    The ambiance is awesome, I love the mahogany and grandiose feeling. The bartenders/servers are great. One of my favorite drink spots.

    Let me tell you about the bottle service! It was so much fun, we got the bottle in The Library bar. Although it was only my boyfriend and I, it was his birthday so we wanted to go crazy.
    We got a bottle of vodka, and they brought out a beautiful cart (like their dessert cart) with many types of bitters and mixers, and a recipe card to make 6 different drinks. our waitress (Frieda!) helped us make our first couple of drinks and was accommodating and very nice, we had the best time!

    Lunch was excellent. The Whole roasted Chicken for 2 was divine. It reminded me something like an elegant Thanksgiving-esque dish. Loved it! The black truffle, chicken and foie went together deliciously :) It was cool to be here during the day, as it is so dark at night. The sun shines throughout the whole dining room. The desserts were amazing, also. Our favorite was the macaron. Best macaron I've ever eaten, there was some sort of fruity pebbles essence to it, the best!

    We stayed at the hotel since it was my bfs bday and we were getting bottle service there so I thought it would be convenient to stumble only to the elevator to get home. The rooms are nice and unique, a very homey feel for an NYC hotel. The staff is very accommodating and hooked us up with a bottle of wine on the house since it was my bfs birthday.

    Overall, The NoMad excels in all areas.
  • 6/22/2012
    I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we had the most wonderful time due to the amazing customer service and luxury of the hotel.

    It started with the booking - after I booked through Tablet Hotels, I got an email from the NoMad asking for my arrival time. I wrote back and mentioned it was my boyfriend's birthday and the agent said they would take special care of us and then answered several questions for me.

    Upon arrival, I was immediately impressed by the design of the hotel. The man who checked me in was very professional, speedy, and attentive.

    There were helpful employees everywhere - opening the doors, riding in the elevators, greeting us as we got off the elevators on the rooftop lounge. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable.

    Our room was gorgeous - the booking agent really meant it when she said they would take special care of us!

    In the morning, we ordered coffee and pastries, which were promptly delivered and elegantly presented.

    The only negative thing I can think of is that there was a bit of noise in the hallway around 5:30am and the door wasn't soundproof enough to keep it out, but I place blame with the unruly noisemakers and not the hotel.

    I will definitely be going back to the NoMad as soon as I have a good excuse!
  • 7/22/2012
    We stayed July 1-4 and stayed on the second floor with the ultra high ceilings.  Fabulous rooms and decor.  The doormen, the front desk and the turn down service were outstanding.  The breakfast downstairs was wonderful as was the restaurant.  Really remarkable hotel.  To top things off, you can take their bikes that are in the lobby and go wherever you want for the day along the great biking paths of NYC.

    We have stayed in many boutique type hotels in the city.  This was the best and the location makes it an easy walk or metro anywhere.

    Mike
    • 38 friends
    • 21 reviews
    9/26/2012
    I stayed at the Nomad for a night in September. The doormen and front desk were super friendly. The room I stayed in was very warm and cozy, the bed was very comfy. Free WiFi throughout the hotel. I also dined at the restaurant (breakfast and lunch) -  food was delish. A very convenient location, right by the subway. The manager also followed-up with me post stay with an email, a nice touch.
  • 10/8/2012
    I went to an event at this hotel.  From the start the doorman and all of the other staff were very friendly.  The decor is so mahogany rich in color and furnishings.  Just beautiful.  The event I attended was in the Journal Room.  The mahogany theme was present here as well.  Upon entering there is a bar.  Room  was a long rectangle room which lead to glass doors that open into an outdoor garden with marble tables.  Very beautiful and would be fitting for any event.
  • 8/27/2012
    This is the kind of place where you go when a special friend is in town and you want to impress them or bring a date and show him/her the sophisticated side of you.  The hotel location isn't the most fabulous but the inside of the hotel made me want to break out a cigar, read a book and have a meaningful conversation.  I was quite impressed with the decor.  Heard the food was good but haven't tried.  Drinks were good but pricey.  Ordered a glass of Vermentino that cost $16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered