Translation from English

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Bella Napoli

Mixed reviews-- just a neighborhood Italian place

One person says " I am seriously conflicted about this place"

Problem seems to be worst for take-out

People who go there regularly complain about service problems --then why do they continue to go there all the time?

Some people liked it or liked it a lot

This is another place that has consistency issues it seems to me

  • 130 Madison Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    b/t 30th St & 31st St in Midtown East
  • Transit information 4 6 6X N R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 683-4510
  • Business website bellanapoli.com
  • 9/19/2013
    Always love their pizza, their sausage pinwheel is a must try.
    A slice of plain pizza and a pinwheel, $3.90, there is no cheaper lunch in the neighborhood!
  • 8/10/2013
    new review upon second try: was 2 stars, now 1. before, horrible freezer burnt garlic knots, inedible caesar salad, ok main dishes, missing mozz sticks...this time around mozz sticks arrive with watery sauce and obvious freezer burn, cheese on eggplant parm was far far far past prime, and dangerously so with a toxic funky smell. The previously xcellent pasta Danielle proved inconsistent and was very disappointing this time. $30 down the drain...just plain GARBAGE.
  • 2/13/2013 Updated review
    AGAIN, this place is a joke. Placed an order through seamless this time and FOR PICK UP. Arrived there 10 minutes LATER than the estimated time & they handed me 1/3 of the order like it was ready to go. ONE THIRD.

    learn to run a business.
    6/22/2012 Previous review
    Okay so the owner ATTEMPTED to compensate for all the mistakes by sending us a free pizza the… Read more
    6/21/2012 Previous review
    It's pretty laughable how much this place messes up.
    So I went there the other day and the pizza was…
    Read more
  • 10/9/2013
    Cute little Murray Hill Gem.  Perfect for a Sunday night family dinner.  The staff is great, the food is delicious and the ambiance is great for casual dining.  The bolognese is also to die for!
  • 3/20/2013
    This is one of my local favorites.  I recommend either the ziti bolognesce or the chicken marsala; both are delicious.  I always start with a salad and their delicious house dressing with warm bread (granted, I am a carb addict).  Tony is also a pleasure to deal with.  The way he handles clients is an example of how all small business owners should be.  I know I try to build my business MyClean to live up to this level of standards.  Yesterday I went in to pick up an order and for no reason other than acknowledging that I am a loyal client he took 10% off my bill.  Even though the discount  was unsubstantial from a monetary standpoint it was his acknowledging me as a loyal client that prompted me to finally write this review.  I will be a client forever!  Mike
  • 4/25/2013
    I work at a small business a couple of blocks away from the pizzeria. We would order one specialty pie a week from them for the past 6 months. one of their pie makers i guess does not know how to read because i order a half BBQ Chicken Pie, in which the menu reads:Chicken, BBQ sauce, Cheddar Cheese, Ranch and Roasted Peppers. We only got BBQ sauce and Chicken. This is the second time for the they screwed that up. Our other half was suppose to be Eggplant, Pepper, Prosciutto, and Fresh Mozzarella with not sauce; we got a plain half with egg plant slices. So I called up and they told me i cant order two halves any more because their pie makers can't handle that. REALLY ? They can't read? They don't know one of your signature pies by heart? It's bad enough one of their servers are so obnoxiousness that we have to go on Wednesdays when hes not there.

    According to them the customers is always wrong. If they can't recognize my money is green and we are in NYC and there are plenty of other of pizzerias around us to go to, then fine you just lost a loyal customer.
  • 10/8/2012
    1 check-in here
    We try to stop here every time we come to NYC to grab a slice of the Grandma's pizza. It's Delicious. The regular pies are good to, but the Grandma's...

    Pretty busy lunch crowd, the subs looked ridiculous. Wouldn't mind trying one of those next time.
    Tony R.
    Comment from Tony R. of Bella Napoli
    Business Owner
    10/8/2012 Thank you so much Windy!

    Our chicken parm hero is a big seller and so are our eggplant parm, sausage…
    Read more
  • 6/29/2012
    Ordered on Sunday, 10.2.11 @ 7:45pm through SeamlessWeb. I ordered a Large 18' Pie with pepperonni, sasuage, and mushrooms. Also 2 orders of wings.

    Pizza arrived 2+ hours later. The food was COLD and the wings still had FEATHERS on them!!!! F'in gross. DON'T ORDER FROM HERE!!!!
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    8/25/2013
    If you want cold food and surly wait staff this is your place. Once they reheat or whatever they did to it food tasted ok. Owner was outside and made mistake of asking how things were!!!  Jim
  • 2/19/2011
    I'm seriously conflicted with this place!

    First time I came here, I came with my two bosses who were raving about this great Italian joint, and I had the chicken parmesan, with the penne, and a delicious piece of bread, as well as some cheesecake, and I thought it was absolutely delicious for such a cheap lunch!

    I raved about the delicious chicken parmesan to a coworker and made my coworker join me here for another round...

    Second time I came, there was no chicken parmesan, so I decided to try some chicken and potato deal with some rice (which looked like the nastiest rice in the world). There was like literally probably one tiny strip of edible chicken on the piece he gave me. The rice tasted like mush and was absolutely disgusting. My plate was still full when I was done picking at the food.

    Then, my coworker decided to point out the decor in the place. The walls had like cardboard lining, and there were nasty dish rags just sitting against the wall.

    I don't know, Bella Napoli...first impression was good, second impression terrible.
  • 7/1/2009
    A typical NY slice...very solid and rock steady day to day.
    I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here but if you're a "fat pig on the go" like myself, you'll appreciate this place.
    I have a serious eating problem and sometimes I just can't help myself becuase I'm a porky boy.
    Hope this helps.
    • 534 friends
    • 1052 reviews
    3/22/2007
    Want inexpesive, well-made Italian food for lunch with a lot of choices that will please the palate but won't break the bank?  Bella Napoli delivers.  (And they deliver, too!)

    I stopped in here for lunch with a big appetite, but not feeling decisive.  The place was crowded, which in Manhattan is always a good sign.  You line up to get your food cafeteria style, and then you can eat there or get it to go.  There are 2 lines (important to know so you don't waste 10 precious minutes standing in the wrong one, like I did) - the one just inside the door is for pizza only, and the one a little further inside is for everything else.

    The pizza looked great, but I opted for pasta instead.  The nice man who called me "sweetheart" gave me a generous portion of meat lasagne and a salad.  He showed me where the drinks were and didn't rush me. He was nice to me in the way that older men from other countries are - like a nice uncle who has just cooked you lunch.

    The lasagne was perfect, the salad was good, and the Pellegrino was cold and sparkling.  If I lived and worked in the neighborhood full time, this would definitely be a regular lunch spot for me.
  • 10/27/2011
    Sometimes only a NY slice will do. I spotted Bella Napoli on Friday night, when my dinner plans for the evening were already in place, and mentally filed this spot away for another time. This location is almost like a restaurant within a restaurant, with a cafeteria-style setup at the front and table service near the back.

    I went with the mushroom slice and order of mozzarella sticks (shared). The slice that I had could have been warmer by temperature, even if it was warmed in the oven, but I really don't have a reason to complain seeing as how it was pretty late in the day.

    It was good to be able to take my slice to the sit-down portion of the restaurant--I was even able to order a glass of chianti. The service was efficient and it was great to have the option of china with my slice (version of a high-low mix). The counter setup was a bit confusing as I didn't know where the food would be delivered--tableside or for counter pickup--but I would not hesitate to come here again if I'm in the neighborhood and need to quell a craving for a slice.
  • 7/31/2013
    Food is fantastic, period. Portions are substantial. You won't be disappointed with the quality of a meal from here and if you aren't already frequenting this place, you should be. Yea, sometimes an order may be wrong, but welcome to NYC. Any issues I've had have been properly and quickly resolved, so really no issues there. Biggest complaint is the price difference from take out menu to dine in menu. Same food, same portions, but each item will cost you about 25-30% more just to sit and eat it there with table service. This should be fixed immediately unless they're looking for an excuse to keep people away from table service. I'll continue be a regular for take out, but as nice as it would be to sit down and have a meal in the restaurant, ain't gonna happen til they cut and paste the delivery menu onto the in-house menu.
    • 0 friends
    • 72 reviews
    4/18/2011
    Wandered late night for a slice of pizza and found Bella Napoli quite tasty! We were  group of four, each ordering something different and none were disappointed!

    The staff was friendly, the place clean and inviting.
  • 7/29/2011
    Been sitting here now for 6 minutes--no server acknowledgment.  To top it off, the place is practically EMPTY!
    Now it's a play of whether or not I walk....how long does one wait?
    I think 6 minutes without a word is too long...I walk!

    Too bad, I read some favorable reviews...but servers didn't even seem interested in the least, so, why should I?

    THE NEXT DAY:  while walking by this place I noticed the posted "sanitary inspection grade" on their storefront.  Never have I seen such an appropriate rating.  (see photo.)
    Tony R.
    Comment from Tony R. of Bella Napoli
    Business Owner
    1/5/2012 I apologize you were not attended as soon as you sat down, and I am keeping a close eye on how fast… Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered