Translation from English

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Teqa- Kips Bay

Mexican place gets mixed reviews

Here again I don't quite understand what a divergence of opinion there is

Maybe this place has a problem with consistency

  • 443 3rd Ave
    Manhattan, NY 10016
    b/t 30th St & 31st St in Midtown East, Kips Bay
  • Transit information 4 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 213-3223
  • Business website teqanyc.com
    • 5 friends
    • 33 reviews
    9/22/2013
    I went here for brunch and I enjoyed it. I had unlimited drinks and an entree, the drinks were flowing and my entree was good, I got the tuna on crack since it had avocado, which I love. The servers were friendly which is important and overall it was a pleasant brunch experience.

    I would go back again. =]
  • 9/29/2013
    1 check-in here
    2.5 stars...

    Came here for the unlimited brunch, normally about $35, but was able to get a Groupon for 2 for 1. Luckily I didn't pay full price because that would have been a rip off.

    First of all the restaurant is actually gorgeous, it's a classy yet casual space with plenty of room. It's not at all crowded during brunch which was even better. The brunch menu is all Mexican inspired dishes, not one regular pancake on the list. I ordered the mole chicken tacos. What I got were two small tacos on a plate, no rice, no beans. Each taco had in it somewhat dry shredded chicken barely stained in their version of mole sauce which could barely be tasted. Normally this dish by itself is $9, astounding. My girlfriend got something else to which she asked if she could add chorizo to her dish. The waitress (and you can't make this up) didn't know what Chorizo was. Upon being given an explanation of the Latin sausage she proceeded to have doubts that they had that. After the waitress was informed that several of the brunch plates actually included chorizo she said it shouldn't be a problem (and it wasn't). Too bad the chorizo only comes in a Bacon Bit type of form here.

    Food aside they did a good job at making and refilling our pitchers of mimosas. The glasses they gave us were the smallest mimosa glasses I've ever seen so I'm curious to whether that's the same glass they serve the by-the-glass mimosas in. The mimosas were good and our group sat and drank for the maximum 2 hours making sure we definitely got our money's worth.

    In terms of food/value Teqa is lacking, but the space is great and if you can get an unlimited Groupon deal it may just be worth the downsides.
    • 9 friends
    • 21 reviews
    9/14/2013
    Had brunch here with a few girlfriends, and had a nice time. The atmosphere is nice, mimosas were flowing, but the food was okay. Eggs Benedict was a little bland, but my friend loved her omelette.

    They play oldies, which is fun! And the decor is very cool.
  • 11/16/2013
    Bad food, horrible dessert and service to match! No wonder this place is empty at 10pm on a Saturday night.
  • 11/23/2013
    Horrible. Food is not cooked right and very very skimpy and over priced.  Wait staff is not attentive band does not compensate when they screw up. We came for brunch with 4 people had a plate of fruit for $9 with like 10 pieces of fruit, I had raw eggs that were supposed to be poached, no napkins and silverwear, and just bad small food. I am really upset I wasted my time and money here.
  • 11/16/2013
    I've had worse - which is not a glowing review. Teqa was able to accommodate a large group, which they earn a star for, however they could not service it. Waiters were slow and busboys cleared plates quickly instead of focusing on delivering them earlier than the hour long wait. When brunch is all you can drink and food is slow to come (and mediocre when it arrives), bare minimum is to follow up and keep the imbibed folks drinking. This was not the case. Lots of low hanging fruit in terms of room for improvement - hopefully they can learn to grab for it.
  • 11/4/2013
    OMG, I think this place would have to serve as my last meal and drink on earth if I had to choose. Amazing. Hands down from food, drinks, service, ambiance, price. Came here on a Friday night with a gf after work. It was unusually mild outside so we decided to dine al fresco. We ordered the lobster guac, chipotle grilled shrimp salad and carne asada tacos. I tried the pomegranate margarita which was good but the waiter surprised my with a complimentary hibiscus margarita. I was in love! Hands down one of the best experiences I had at a Mexican restaurant. You will not be disappointed.
  • 8/19/2013
    1 check-in here
    Only for the margaritas! For $6  during happy hour, they are STRONG and tasty! I'm not a huge margarita snob, so I was pleased but some of my party who could make out the difference in tequila weren't too happy.

    Oh well... it worked for me. And i would visit happy hour again. Guac and chips were good too!
  • 10/17/2013
    I am going to make this short and sweet... Been coming here for years, service has declined immeasurably, management seems to have their own agenda now (if you get my drift), and the music is something ripped out of a Pre-Art Deco Miami night scene... Blah is word to describe! Stay away is my advice. Take it if you will....
    • 0 friends
    • 2 reviews
    9/22/2013
    Drinks are mediocre... I wish I could comment on the food, however it's been over an hour and it's still not here.
  • 10/18/2013
    Pricey, and even with Happy Hour they make sure to give you regular price menus pretending it's the happy hour special. You'll only find out after you get the bill. This place seems to be known for its lobster guac other than that I don't see it.
  • 6/12/2013
    Teqa is awful. It's not even close to bad, it's literally just awful.

    Food/Drinks are much overpriced. The service is a tad elitist & rude, which is funny because it's Teqa.

    Nice porch - - but the above negatives cannot be overlooked.

    Woof.
  • 10/11/2013
    I am giving this place a high rating, but I only had the guacamole and some drinks. The quac was good, not great. The portion was big and the chips were warm. The drinks were great. They have every alcohol variety I could think of and I didn't feel like crap the next day.

    The bartenders I had were both women and they were great! Super nice, helpful when I couldn't decide what to drink, and they weren't pushy about anything.

    The atmosphere was trendy and the music was good enough.

    My suggestion, sit at the bar for a girl's night kind of thing and you'll like it here.

    I also went back for an event and the staff was still very nice.
    • Tj G.
    • Rice Military, Houston, TX
    • 0 friends
    • 12 reviews
    9/2/2013
    Avoid this place at all costs. It tries to he something it is not. Have given this place a few attempts now. The first time the restaurant was nearly empty but they still were snobbish and the next time it was still empty but they were nicer. Food was actually not even downable.

    This place won't be here in a few years.
  • 10/4/2013
    1 check-in here
    Slowwwwww service, expensive bad food
    • 97 friends
    • 284 reviews
    5/28/2013
    Tequila, tapas, strong drinks, tasty apps, and awesome music and service.  This was our experience.  There was literally nothing negative.  It helps to be in a good mood and expect nothing anywhere you go.

    We had a fantastic time! :)
  • 9/17/2013
    Seated via OpenTable 1 check-in here
    I came here for brunch despite the reviews because I had a voucher. The reviews are spot on, the food is not good. The Mimosas were good and not watered down which is the reason why I'm giving this place 3 stars. Our server was nice and attentive. The place is has a nice relaxing ambiance. I would go back for happy but def not for the food.
  • 5/24/2013
    I remember when Teqa first opened and there was so much hype you couldn't get a reservation. All the Murray Hill residents swarmed the place.

    A few years later a lot has changed. On a Thursday night around 7pm, it was practically empty. My friends and I stopped in for a few drinks. The spicy cucumber margarita was tasty but pretty small. We had the chips and dip app which comes with tomatillo, guac, and salsa. We all agreed that the salsa was unique in a good way. It sort of had a smokey bbq flavor. We eventually ordered tacos. My fish taco was very disappointing and didn't come as described.

    In the end our bill ended up being $60 dollars a person which was more than we were looking to spend. Those $12 margaritas added up quick. I've had better Mexican in the city so I'm not sure i'll be coming back.
  • 7/20/2013
    Went on a Friday night with 2 friends. Food was great, music was cool, bathrooms were sexy.  We had the skirt steak with the polenta and the short ribs. Everything was cooked right, seasoned and juicy. The lobster guac was good, my friends loved it but I thought regular guac would do.

    Highlight: Pomegranate Margarita with the citrus salt rim was a winner.

    Service was good too, attentive but not overbearing.
  • 3/11/2013
    This is place is supposed to be on the border between Mexico and America, but instead, it's on the border between 2-stars and 2-bad-to-eat.

    (drums + laugh track).

    Jokes aside skip this place. For it's positives, It's got a great location and the black decor is quite cool. The lighting nice and it makes you think "what a great date spot!"

    So I took a date here, hoping to impress her. The food was kinda luke warm, bland, and neither of use enjoyed the meal. To make matters worse, she had to sit through dinner with a guy who thinks he's funny. (more laugh track please... I need it)

    Ok, so the food is no good, but it seems like the drinks would at least be killer, right? Months later, on Valentine's Day, I took a different girl here for margeritias. We ordered specialties from the menu. Bleh! Barely drinkable.

    All in all, this place has anti-helped me a lot. Gee thanks.

    Head to El Rio down the street and you won't be disappointed.
  • 5/30/2013
    It's a shame this place doesn't have the crowd it should. It's on the most populated avenue in the Murray Hill area, yet, there never seems to be anyone there.

    I think maybe it's the food? Don't get me wrong. The food is good. But its TINY. Tapas-tiny. And it's not tapas food. I don't think the price helps it, either. I left here pretty hungry. The drinks, however, are delicious. Love me some margs. I'd give this place a shot for brunch, sometime.

    The decor is nice. Dark and sexy. They have outdoor seating when it's nice outside.

    Poor Teqa. I want to like you, I really do. Maybe I'll give you another chance sometime.
  • 5/12/2013
    1 check-in here
    I came here for Sunday brunch with my girlfriend after purchasing a brunch deal through Gilt City which entitled us to two entrees and a pitcher of a margarita of our choice.  My girlfriend ordered the juevos de rancheros and I ordered the Mexican Omelette.  The ingredients were good and added a lot of flavor to the omelette but my one complaint was that it was saturated in cheese which overpowered all the rest of the flavors.

    For our margarita we ordered the spicy cucumber margarita which was delicious.  With the amount of great Mexican restaurants in New York, I am not sure if i would come back here to eat, but I would come back for the spicy cucumber margarita.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered