Translation from English

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Daniel O'Donnell


A New Year, A New Opportunity!

Dear Neighbor, 

With the new legislative session underway, there are opportunities to make meaningful and positive change in New York State, as well as in my home district. Over the years I have heard from many of my constituents that they are concerned with the future of our arts and cultural institutions. Not only are these institutions embedded in the rich fabric of our neighborhood, but they are also an incredibly important driver of jobs and economic growth. 

The frequency of these concerns has crescendoed in the months leading up to the new presidential administration coming into power. In 2016 the National Endowment for the Arts funded 546 projects in New York State totalling $17,237,175. The current presidential administration has stated their desire to cut arts funding entirely. With the possibility that all grant funding from the National Endowment for the Arts may vanish, it is now more important than ever to ensure that we have strong leadership at the state level to fight for all of our important arts initiatives.

That is why I am proud to announce that I will have the privilege to serve as Chair of the Committee on Arts, Tourism, Sports Development, and Parks. The personal significance of this opportunity is immense. Fourteen years ago when I was elected, I promised to represent the Upper West Side to the best of my ability in the legislature. Our families, neighbors, friends, and the vibrancy of our entire community rely on the arts. With that said, this year - with so much at risk - I want to ensure I fulfill my promise to represent all of you loudly and boldly through this chairmanship. Please feel free to reach out to me regarding my new chairmanship and any ideas or suggestions you have. 

Very truly yours,
Daniel O'Donnell
Member, 69th Assembly District

          
Like me on Facebook                   Follow me on Twitter
Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell, 245 West 104th Street, Suite 1D, New York, NY 10025

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered