Translation from English

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Subway Dancer ( and Comments)- WNYC


Rayquan Perez of 2Live Describes the Life of a Subway Dancer

Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Play
00:00 / 00:00
Rayquan Perez is a subway performer who usually dances on the 4 and 2 lines. (Rayquan Perez)
Rayquan Perez is a 19-year-old dancer with 2Live, a group that performs on the 4 and 2 trains. He spoke to Brian about what it's like to flip and somersault through a moving subway car, and about the crackdown on dancers.
How’d he get into dancing?
His uncles used to dance with Crazy Legs and taught him and his cousins how to perform on the trains. “They wanted me to stay out of trouble and stuff, so instead of getting into trouble I started dancing.”
What’s a good day?
$100 to 150 over 3 or 4 hours of work – but he could keep going all day. Money really comes out on Fridays with tourists and events at Barclays or the stadiums.
Has anyone from the group been arrested in the latest crackdown?
Two of his cousins, both 2Live members, were arrested for dancing in a subway car – and his uncle was arrested and is still in jail for an outstanding warrant. “I never thought dancing was a crime, I thought it was a way to express yourself.”
What happens when you get arrested just for dancing?
“We have to go through the whole system.” Rayquan heard from his cousins that they got community service, but the next time it happens they could get 30 days in jail – and that bail is $5,000.
So… have they stopped dancing on the trains?
“Nah, I’m about to go dancing today,” he said. And no, he’s not afraid of the bail.

 Our Full Conversation About the NYPD Crackdown on Subway Dancers

 Does he ever get hurt, or hurt someone else?
Sometimes during practice the team does get hurt. But have they ever kicked a passenger? “Me personally? Not yet. I’m not going to say never… I’m not gonna lie, I had a team member, he was young and it was his first time. He apologized after the show and the person still donated.”
Is there a way to do the shows more safely?
They could do platform shows, but they don’t make as much money doing that. “We know how to maneuver around people. Let’s say we see somebody getting up because they’re scared – we’ll maneuver around them instead of hitting them.”
And yeah, they know the trains.
Like that big curve on the 4 train coming into 42nd street? “We know those by heart,” Perez said.

Tags:

More in:

The Morning Brief

Enter your email address and we’ll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Comments [7]

Nick from Bushwick
I have multiple problems with these guys.
1) The level they play the music at is damaging to your hearing if you're unlucky enough to be near the speakers.
2) At least a few of the dancers on the L wear loose fitting shorts and thrust their junk in girls faces.
3) The issue of it being a public space as mentioned by JamesK is incorrect. The train is NOT a public space. It is a Semi-public area requiring paid admission and adherence to the rules established by the company running the space. One of said rules places a restriction on things like performance, panhandling, and the like.
4) I've seen tons of being get kicked, have things broken, and be harassed/threatened for asking the dancers to go away.
Some of them are really nice and good dancers but, as a whole, I wish they'd do more to stop them, the smelly homeless people, the "war veterans," the people using drugged and unconscious babies to illicit sympathy, and the lying hipsters on the J/M, some of whom claim to be homeless while living in my building where the lowest rent is $1700/month.
Jul. 31 2014 08:28 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0
I am not a fan. There's the obvious safety issue, and then there's the space issue, especially when they force a crowded train to clear a spot for them. Those two factors put them a level above your garden variety mariachi band or a cappella group. But should they be charged with a crime by the police? No, that's absurd.
Jul. 31 2014 07:56 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0
Alex from NYC
I love the subway dancers. They're nearly all super talented and I like what they do - and I ride the subway in NYC every day. There are a lot of people who get in my way, act rude, and bring me down on the subway. They're not the dancers.
Jul. 31 2014 05:10 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0
James from Brooklyn
I didn't really mind the dancers until I broke my ankle...and then broke my collarbone. (It hasn't been a good year.) I started to notice all the other people in NYC with disabilities, as well as seniors who struggle just to get around. When you are injured, it's already difficult enough just riding the lurching subway...having people flying through the air next to you on the subway is absolutely terrifying. It's a safety issue, pure and simple. I have to say I also don't like his attitude of saying that he hasn't hurt someone "yet"; if he should happen to injure you on the train, who do you think will be covering your medical bills? You will.
Jul. 31 2014 04:56 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0
I've had too many feet fly within inches of my face on the trains while having to suffer the obnoxiously loud music. The previous comment that implies the only other alternative for these guys is aggravated robbery is both offensive and condescending.
Jul. 31 2014 03:58 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0
JamesK from NYC
SO your issue is about personal space, which I agree. However you are in public and public space is "free" I don't mind the dancers, the singers or really mind the beggers. What does bother me is the non stop corporate advertising everywhere pushing that garbage into my eyes everywhere I look.
Would you rather have these kids dancing around you or surrounding you with weapons as they take your personal belongings? Yeah I would take the dancing as well.
Jul. 31 2014 01:16 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: -2/2
Lois` from Forest Hills NY
My issue with the subway entertainers is about my space. I pay to see performances, whether at museums or theater. When my morning is interrupted by singers (older doo-woppers are great), musicians (mostly very good), religious screamers (not so good), my space is being invaded. I didn't ask for any of this and I don't want it. As for the dancers, they scare the hell out of me! And I shouldn't have to worry about my feet getting stepped on when they're where they should be and the dancers are not.
Why doesn't some dance group take them under their wing and get them involved in a better performance space? Someone like Jacques D'Amboise or Savion Glover? I don't object to them trying to earn a 'living' but earn it from those who care to see them voluntarily and would pay to see them.
Just stay out of my space and let me read and nap on my morning trip to work.
Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.
Jul. 31 2014 12:39 PM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 1/1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered