Translation from English

Monday, December 16, 2013

Trattoria Trecolori-- Midtown West

This place is billed by Yelp as one of the best Italian restaurants in Manhattan...looking over the reviews I noted some sour apples among all the raves of course...you just cannot please everyone in the restaurant biz I know and anyway all these Yelp reviews--while no one has proven they are fraudulent or anything--could be stacked in favor of someplace without my knowing it.

Edit
  • 254 W 47th St
    New York, NY 10036
    b/t Broadway & 8th Ave in Midtown West, Theater District
  • Transit information 1 2 A C E N Q R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 997-4540
  • Business website trattoriatrecolori.com
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    12/13/2013
    Looking for an Italian place close to our Times Square hotel, Yelp gave this high ratings and it didn't disappoint. As soon as you walk in you don't feel like you're in the big city - great decor, wonderful staff and friendly service. Had the lobster ravioli - it was amazing - and the soup of the day, Stracciatella (an Italian egg drop soup w/spinach) was so good I could have eaten 3 bowls of it.  Our waiter, Alberto, knew the menu and the wine list backwards and forwards and all of his recommendations were spot on.

    Highly recommend this place for anyone in the vicinity.
  • 12/6/2013
    Absolutely fantastic!

    Our server, Angelo was as handsome as he was helpful. They bought breads and olives to the table to start, the selection of domestic and imported beers was extensive and reasonably priced; along with the plethora of wine available by both bottle and glass.

    I had the Italica salad, and our darling waiter suggested I add mushrooms, which was incredibly good. Perfect salad to dressing ratio, well distributed cheese and walnuts, and the beet was perfectly fresh and prepared to prevent mess :)

    One of the people I was eating with ordered the Gnocci Alla Baba which I had the pleasure of tasting and it was so good I could have wept. There are few things in this world as enjoyable as having that amazing creation grace your taste buds with it's presence. It's a vegetarian option but would be satisfying for even the most discerning meat eater.

    My other companion ordered the Rigatoni Alla Trecolori which, although I didn't personally try, he absolutely loved. The three of us shared the Ricotta baked cheesecake and a Tiramisu on Angelo's recommendation which were even better than expected.

    All of the meals were fantastically portioned, the atmosphere in the restaurant was overall very nice, even with the first floor at capacity, it was hardly bustling and the highly capable wait-staff were checking in at comfortable intervals to ensure everything was going smoothly.

    All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I hope I can dine there again during my stay in the city.
  • 11/24/2013
    1 check-in here
    My friends and I made reservations a few weeks in advance before our trip to the theater district in NYC, and I'm incredibly thankful that the staff was able to seat our party of 7 giggling ladies!

    Our waiter, MJ, was top notch.  He refilled our bread basket 3, yes 3(!!) times because we were ravenous.  Best of all - he didn't make us feel bad about it in the slightest!

    The menu offers all of the italian staples - antipasti, gnocchi, parmesan, and a wide assortment of pasta dishes.  My tip - ask the waiter whats best today!

    My friend and I both ordered two of MJ's suggestions - a duck dish with carrots and peas, and a pesto pasta dish.  Both were mouthwatering (I'm kinda drooling right now as I type this) and we rinsed it down with a bottle of house white.

    The ambience is loud, laughter filled, and friendly.  Our dinner was more on the early side, and we did spot a couple of tables with elementary aged children eating along with their parents.  The ages of the customers were across the board.

    I'll tell you what - most of my friends' plates were practically licked clean because the meals were so delicious!
  • 12/14/2013
    This place was amazing! We were going to Carmine's after a Broadway Show & it was packed! They were taking no walk ins!
    We decided to check out Yelp & this place came up!! Thank God because it was great!
    Place is beautiful & cozy. The services was excellent & the food A+!!! I will go back there before going to Carmine's anytime.
    The risotto was delish!! Recommended 100%
  • 12/7/2013
    1 check-in here
    The veal ragu was amazing and so was the veal martini. Definitely get one of those! I cleaned my plate and so did my wife. Best pasta ever!
  • 11/22/2013
    Eh.

    I came her for a friend's birthday dinner and we received a table on the second floor for our group of 8. I hate rectangular tables for large groups--it is so difficult to see/hear everyone. Round tables are much preferred!

    For my starter, I got the beet salad. Oh, how I love beets recently! However, these beets tasted straight out of the can. They were very cold and not at all seasoned or roasted. The salad dressing was plain and tasteless. Overall, it was a poor salad.

    For my entree, I got the special, which was spinach fettuccine  with duck, peas and mushrooms. It was okay. If I were rating just my meal, this would be a two-start joint, however, the birthday girl loved her gnocci and my other friend said her chicken was very good.

    Desserts were average (chocolate cake, cheesecake and tiramisu). Cocktails were large and therefood good.
  • 11/16/2013
    1 check-in here
    Absolutely 5 stars!
    Why?
    - Saturday night, no waiting to get a table.
    - Food couldn't taste any better than what they have, I had pasta vongolle and my gf had squid ink pasta.
    - service is so quick and responsive.
    - Place is wide and comfortable, which is rare to find in manhattan.
    - any more? Yes, but I will leave it to you to tell me about it :]
  • 12/10/2013
    Very good food at reasonable prices.  Nice atmosphere and even nicer wait staff (even at the bar).  Cannoli was fantastic!
  • 11/16/2013
    Nasty! Not sure why this place has any good reviews. Ordered the popular LINGUINE NERE alla MONSIGNORE dish (shrimp, scallops, mussels, etc). The fish didn't taste fresh, was way too rubbery, as was the pasta. After we left, my stomach felt awful the entire night after. I felt close to throwing up.
    My girlfriend had the chicken parm and didn't enjoy it either.
    It was a cute place but the service wasn't good too. Definitely not coming back or recommending it.
  • 11/12/2013
    Had a lovely couples dinner- everything (food, wine, decor, service, ambiance) was pretty good! Only complaint was the lasagna.
    Reservations: Made a reservation with Opentable and had no wait whatsoever when we arrived.
    Food: Highly recommend LINGUINE NERE alla MONSIGNORE $22 (Homemade black (squid ink) linguini with shrimp, scallops, squid, clams, and mussels in our flavorful marinara)- HUGE portions and great taste. My boyfriend didn't really like his lasagna, didn't compare to Max's and was pretty small. Also loved the ricotta cheesecake and tiramisu.
    Definitely coming back here for hearty solid Italian food.
  • 12/8/2013
    Excellent service from Nick (from FSU - go Arburn and SEC - HAHAHA) and the wait crew. He was very friendly and personable. Each dish was well presented and delivered hot.  Nick was very helpful with my date's wine selection.   The food was excellent.  The minestrone soup was lacking in vegetables but the broth was great.   The calamari in ink was excellent. Highly recommend.  Date's tortellini was equally was good.  Dessert and Sambuca was the great nightcap.  Great place.
  • 11/6/2013
    1 check-in here
    We had a quick lunch here, no appetizer, no dessert, just one pasta for each of us.
    After a vote, the squid ink pasta with seafood proudly became the favorite of that day.
    • 146 friends
    • 125 reviews
    10/23/2013
    1 check-in here
    Listed in New York
    We were in Time's Square around dinner time, and we had a hankering for Italian food.

    We were seated right away when we walked in although it was quite a wait before our server came to our table to take our orders. I feel like the servers were busier clearing the tables than anything, but at least they were friendly.

    Try not to stuff yourself with the bread too much while you wait because you will be waiting for you food. Use that will power.

    I ordered the Gamberoni dello Chef. The portion was huge... the shrimp was huge. The dish could use a little salt or something. It kinda tasted bland so I had to shake some more Parmesan cheese in it.

    This place is ok. I've had better Italian food. Not a bad place to go to if you don't want to wait to eat and you're craving Italian food in Times Square.
  • 12/3/2013
    Sadly, I was not impressed with this place. I went here bc of all the great reviews.  Only my trecolori salad was good.  The pasta was way overcooked...it actually broke apart when I tried to pull it with my fork to eat! And was definitely NOT al dente.  Maybe I ordered on an off night.  I was disappointed.
  • 10/22/2013
    A good friend took me here for fun after work on a Monday night, not for a pre-show dinner or anything. When we walked in, the hostess looked us up and down, and immediately declared that they have no seating for several hours. It's not like we walked in with hobo clothing; we were in full on suits after work. What's her problem?

    Well, we had a reservation so we told her at least twice before she got the message. I was hungry and thus a bit ticked off from this. We then waited an additional 10 minutes past our reservation and the restaurant wasn't even that busy yet. What's the point of making a reservation if they're going to make you wait?

    This was about to ruin my night, but aside from this minor drama, the food and restaurant service were awesome. I had the calamari alla luciana and it came with an interesting color from the squid ink. The calamari could have been fresher or cooked better, but the rich and flavorful risotto made up for that. My friend had the ravioli, which he really liked.

    The busboys and waiters were the highlight of the evening. They were extremely friendly and diligent about cleaning up the table. We were given excellent recommendations and cheerful smiles. We ended up getting only entrees but they didn't make a stink about it. Overall, set your expectations lower over logistics and higher for the food!
  • 10/26/2013
    We had dinner at Trattoria Trecolori on our first  night visiting NYC. The location was convenient, although I was a little sceptical, as it is in the heart of the tourist district. But I was wrong.

    The food was delightful. I had the Trecolori special pasta, which was delicious. The sauce was flavourful and a little spicy, which I loved. The texture of the pasta could have been better, but no complaints. My boyfriend had the chicken scarpariello, and to be honest I wish I had ordered that. Perfectly cooked with right amount of spices.

    Two mains, a bottle of wine and a couple of espressos + tip was $100.
  • 12/2/2013
    1 check-in here
    Clean restaurant, nice atmosphere, fair pricing, and GREAT food. The chicken parmigiana was absolute to die for. The bread was not so great. The tortellini soup was awesome. It was similar to a wedding soup but with tortellini as the pasta.
  • 10/16/2013
    1 check-in here
    Can't go wrong with this place. If you're craving good Italian by Times Square. Here is where it's at.

    We ate here before we went to a musical and it was such a good choice. It's close to all the musicals and is some amazing Italian.

    First off out server Carlos was awesome. He made us feel right at home and was very helpful with recommendations. He was always there making sure we were ok and was joking with us the whole time. He made it a great experience.

    The food was delicious. We started with a fried shrimp and calamari appetizer. It was perfectly cooked, very light and not chewy. We also got the ravioli and the stuffed chicken special that was stuffed with cheese asparagus and mushrooms over pasta. The dishes were filling and so good.

    Would definitely come here again. Try this place before heading over to Carmine's and waiting an hour to be seated.
  • 11/12/2013
    What's great about here is its location. If you're in the area you know that you'll be hard pressed to find something decent for a nice but casual meal out. The service is good, if a little hurried but again I have to take into account the location. These guys want to turn those tables! As it happens we weren't in the mood for lingering because we were going to a show.

    The food was as you would expect good, well cooked but nothing ind blowing. Which at these prices and (I'm going to say it again) in this area is unsurprising. They're the best you're going to get in the Theater District without damaging the bank balance too much.
  • 10/14/2013
    1 check-in here
    I normally try to steer clear of Time Square restaurants, as they are typically tourist traps and hard to get to/get in to with all of the people traffic in the area. After being discouraged from eating at BXL Cafe (too crowded and loud) on a Thursday night, my friend looked up another restaurant that she'd been too and said it was really good, so we navigated our way through Times Square to Trattoria Trecolori.

    It was busy when we arrived, but the wait for a table for 2 would have been about 20 minutes or so. A bar table towards the front of the restaurant opened up first so we took it. Our server was very friendly and charming, he took our drink orders right away and brought us warm bread and creamy butter. When we were ready to place our order, I was about to order the veal when he blurted out the specials. He had me at Lobster Ravioli :) My friend ordered the Capellini Putenesca.

    Service was quick and we had our meals in about 15 minutes. The Lobster Ravioli was probably one of the best I've ever had. Fresh made pasta, stuffed with delicious buttery lobster mmmm... if it ever on the specials menu again, you should definitely order it (if you love lobster, of course). I tried a bit of my friend's putenesca, and it was tasty as well. It was light on the sauce and didn't feel like you were eating heavy pasta at all.

    Overall it was a great dining experience and I would definitely recommend it for those in the area to watch a show or just want to enjoy a nice Italian dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered