Translation from English

Friday, December 20, 2013

Toasties- Midtown East

People really like this place, overall, there are a lot of near rave reviews.

Edit
  • 6 E 48th St
    New York, NY 10017
    b/t 5th Ave & Madison Ave in Midtown East
  • Transit information 4 6 6X B D E F M Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 230-1320
Yelp Ad

Getting Hungry

63 reviews
Klysha R. said "Ok...This place is expensive. OK...there are a bunch of places in the area that serve similar items. This review is for the staff. I walked into getting hungry mid day to grap a bagel and some hot water…" read more
  • 11/9/2013
    Two years i've spent working right around the block from toasties, my observations:

    -Chaos everywhere, but when it comes down to sandwiches per minute, these guys pump out faster than a bonobo tribe.

    -As the junior guy on the desk, I've spent my fair time being the landmine ordering 12 sandwiches in line.  How many errors in 2 years you might ask? Zero.  When lunch is the first thing your desk talks about at 7am, not screwing up a lunch order is key.  Toasties has my back.

    -I attribute toasties as the main reason why I gained 10 pounds after starting work.  Why?  Because their sandwiches give me the same satisfaction of halal food after a late night of going out...right in the middle of my workday.  My advice, follow the namesake, just get any sandwich thats toasted, you can't go wrong.

    So yes, eat at toasties, get the EZ sandwich and add some avocado on top of it, you can thank me by buying my next lunch at toasties.
  • 7/11/2013
    I order Seamless from Toasties almost daily for lunch.  Delivery is super speedy and reliable.  If I were to rate all midtown restaurants in order of their delivery speed, Toasties would be #1 hands down.

    The food is good and menu is pretty extensive.  Want pizza?  A sandwich?  hot food?  some fruit?  some yogurt?  chips?  cereal?  a hard boiled egg?  You can get it all here.  There is not much Toasties doesn't sell - and for that I love them.  The fare isn't the tastiest or most exciting, but it's fine for everyday lunch.

    My big beef with toasties is that you need to prompt them to include things like sauces with the delivery.  I've ordered turkey and brisket without indicating I'd like gravy, and they served it to me bone dry.  They should be more aware of those little things, but whatever - they're still a great lunch option in my opion!
  • 7/2/2013
    Went into Toasties for the first time on a visit back to my home state this past summer. Was hoping to go in and walk out with spicy pastrami but alas the lunch rush had passed and there was none left. (Good sign I suppose, must be delicious!)

    None the less I went for an Italian, hard to go wrong with an Italian, its a classic. And it was delicious. Perfect amount of meat, cheese and toppings and NOT over oil and vinegared. All on perfectly crusty hard roll! Decent price too.

    My only thing, the staff was bleh, no friendly welcome very matter of fact. I get being tired but when you are in the customer service industry you suck it up!

    Although the sandwich was good, don't think I'll frequent this joint again as is didn't knock my socks off and there are way to many fooderies to try in NYC.
    • 1 friend
    • 8 reviews
    11/22/2013
    1 check-in here
    After reading all the best stuff on Yelp, I decided to have a try myself. Had a hummus , avocado and veg sandwich. Very very fresh ingredients and the portion was to the point. But a little bit pricy though. Will definitely come back and try those signature ones!
  • 10/21/2013
    They have pretty much everything here but go for the sandwiches! And this is coming from someones who hates eating sandwiches....my personal favorite is the signature cobb (how can you say no to anything with avocado and bacon in there???) plus they're quick, friendly and definitely worth the few bucks for a quick midtown lunch. Also only a $5min for credit cards so yay i get to swipe all i want :)
  • 11/8/2013 Updated review
    7 check-ins here
    How have I not reviewed Toasties East?? Well I didn't know about it and thought it was some specialty place that some of my co-workers knew about as the Thanksgiving Sandwich was something I had previously only heard about.  I had the sandwich a few times with them but once I walked into the resturant I knew I found a culinary home away from home.

    For a few years I would stop in on my way to work for anything from coffee to oatmeal to eggs / omelets.  Now that I'm ordering via seamless web I've found a new staple - Energy Breakfast Wrap!

    Other than breakfast they have a good amount of lunch choices from pizza to sandwiches or even salads.

    If your nearby or ordered via Seamless give this spot a try!
    12/27/2012 Previous review
    Excellent food, good prices, very popular in neighborhood.  I've been ordering food from this… Read more
    • 30 friends
    • 49 reviews
    8/15/2013
    This place is good to get quick sandwiches for a low price. I stumbled into here with a friend of mine cause we were starving. Boy, were we in for a treat. My friend got the pizza while I got the sandwich. Both were delicious. I was glad we chose here to eat. The food felt healthy and good for my wallet. I would definitely eat here again if I am in a need for a quick bit. The people here are very welcoming also.
    • 0 friends
    • 332 reviews
    3/18/2013
    Not one of your "mega deli's" in midtown, but quality and variety can be found here.

    They have a steam table, salad bar, coffee bar, pizza, deli and grill.

    I've been stopping in from time to time for the past decade. No complaints.
  • 2/12/2013
    I probably eat at Toasties 2-3 days a week for breakfast. In fact, my review is going to be 100% about their breakfast at 8:30 AM Monday thru Friday.

    It is uncanny how fast they can process through a line of 20 people without writing anything down. Let me lay down this setting for you here: I've got one guy at the front say, "Next please," and then translate your order into Spanish for the chef and preparers who don't write anything down. You walk and wait, and then in a matter of minutes your food is ready when someone screams out your order and ready to deliver it to you.

    And the food selection? Almost everything under the sun is available and fresh each morning. You want pancakes? Check. You want an eggwhite omelet with mushrooms and peppers? Check. How about going off the board with some pastrami, hard boiled eggs, and alpine swiss cheese on pumpernickel bagel? Done and done.

    Its a wonder with so many options why I eat here 2-3 days a week.
  • 9/22/2012
    6 check-ins here
    Listed in Midtown East
    Great lunch spot. Since they're so busy the food is always super fresh. Anything you get here will be good, but I really like the Emily Waits, Faddy Natalie, and Thanksgiving sandwiches. If you're not vegetarian and in the mood for something artery-cloggingly decadent, try the E-Z. They also have KILLER pastrami.

    Breakfast is great too, especially if you're holed up at home recovering from the night before. Good breakfast wraps and H&H bagels. Get one of those and a Vitamin Water and you're good to go.
  • 2/26/2013
    Great spot to get a legit sandwich. Great menu selection and they're cool with modifies & custom works.

    Narrow deli so it gets congested sometimes.

    Get the toasties card to earn that free 'wich!

    Go with the Sloop Dan B and thank me later!
  • 3/1/2013
    After freezing in line at the TKTS booth in Times Square, we were in search of a place to thaw and get some breakfast. Toasties doesn't have a lot of tables, but we were able to snag one to enjoy a toasted Sesame Bagel. The pre-made food for lunch looked fresh and tempted us to get some food to go.
    • 416 friends
    • 310 reviews
    8/12/2009
    Delicious.  Crunchy.  Not too expensive but maybe a little too much for everyday eating ($9.04 incl. tax for a hero).  And yes, they toast it for you.  They actually toast it for you even if you don't ask.  Their selection has depth, not to mention plenty of breadth.

    Their menu is both enticing and intimidating all at the same time.  Each selection seems to brim with delectable potential but the problem is that each choice is clamoring for your attention simultaneously!  With adjectives like "melted," "crisp," "bacon," and "sun dried tomato paste," one simply cannot choose.  And being the indecisive diner that I am, I felt a bit scared and confused and a little fat and scared.  Especially with so many people rushing around me, I felt like a kid at the top of a diving board with everyone behind me, urging me to commit to the plunge.  "Hurry up fatboy!"  I eyed a worker making the Smoked Jack (smoked turkey, melted pepper jack, spinach leaves, sun dried tomato paste, honey mustard, toasted hero) and I knew that was the one.  I took the dive.  And I was rewarded.  The sandwich danced on my tongue and slept peacefully in my stomach.

    Other mentionable things include:
    - Lunch time features long lines but they go by quickly.
    - Seating areas in the back.
    - Other eating options include soup and pizza.
    - I will definitely come back here again.
  • 3/30/2013
    Best cobb sandwhich ever. Everything is prepared fresh and super quick. I've only had sandwhiches here, but I'm sure everything else is great!
  • 3/22/2008
    Listed in NYC Midtown
    One of my co-workers told me about the breakfast from Toasties, that it was cheap and good so I made my way there and had a satisfying breakfast platter which consisted of eggs, sausages, fried potato and toasts for USD$3.75, not only was it good, it was nice on the pocket too ... BURP!

    Toasties is like my new lunch place now, their food is just so good, a little pricey but it is worth every penny spent. I had the meatloaf, pork loin, pastrami (the beef practically melted in my mouth), spicy beef wrap, prime rib and sandwiches which were all absolutely delicious!
  • 2/2/2010
    Toasties Pizza FTW, not their sandwiches.

    After hearing from friends how Toasties serves up good sandwiches, I decided to finally try them out.  I also owed it to them b/c the founder is a friend of a friend's brother from Jersey.

    For all the hype for the sandwiches, I was quite disappointed.  I had the House Combo on rye.  It was not anything special at all.  I can find way better deli sandwiches where I work in the ghettos of Brick City (aka Newark for you non-Jersey folks).

    Good thing I read Sandy C.'s review, since I also ordered a slice of pizza (white with fresh tomatoes).  The slice was good and better than the pizza at Little Italy (the place famous for Grandma's slices near GCT that is not so good in my opinion).  So, my 4-star rating is strictly for their pizza.  If they didn't serve pizza, this place would be a 3.

    Too bad when I went they were out of Grandma's slices.

    Toasties is a rip off for drinks though.  They charged me $2.50 for a Nestle Chocolate Milk.
    • 46 friends
    • 47 reviews
    3/6/2008
    15 check-ins here
    I am often at Toasties because it so close to my job and they give out a bounce back coupon. With every purchase of $6.50 or more they stamp your card. Once the card is filled up, you get a free meal for the the value of $7.

    Most of the time I only order the burritto.You can fill it with everything for about $7.50. It really feels you up and is tasty. Or I get a mixed green salad with feta, grilled chicken and red onions. They have a good balsalmic vingerette there...

    I would give this place more stars, more like a 2 1/2 stars

    #1 it's always crowded and there is never a place to sit

    #2 Some of the men there look at you funny and make you feel a little uncomfortable.

    3# The pizza is mediocre.

    You stop by and try it yourself and let me know what you think!
  • 12/30/2008
    +1 Star:  Fresh Turkey, Arugula, Brie and Apple Butter Sandwich
    +1 Star:  BBQ chicken leg with Brussel Sprouts and Mashed Potatoes
    +1 Star:  Thanksgiving Sandwich
    +1 Star:  Line Moves Fast
    +1 Star:  Frequent Sandwich Card makes every meal 1/9 off.
    ----------------------
    Awesome Meal for $8.50.  5 Stars.
  • 6/8/2008
    During some downtime on a business trip to NYC, I was hanging out at the Aldo store, poorly flirting with one of the saleswomen.  I ask her where a good lunch spot is, and the first thing out of her mouth was Subway.  I told her I didn't come all the way to New York City to eat that crud, so then she told me about Toasties.  Thus, you can imagine my skepticism going into this place, but hey, at least it wasn't a national chain.

    I ordered the House Combo -- a superb pastrami and corn beef sandwich with Russian dressing.  Sat down outside and enjoyed the Friday afternoon weather with some true NY bankers.  Mid-conversation, I realize that I lost my cell phone.  I wrap up my sandwich, run around 5th Ave to retrace my steps.  I swear I almost had a heart attack.  Then I return to Toasties and ask if anyone saw a cell phone, and the nice lady at the counter gives it back to me.  Whew.

    So my trip to Toasties had elements of trepidation, surprise, panic, and finally, relief.  Not a bad hour.
    • 28 friends
    • 121 reviews
    6/10/2010
    I'm a huge pizza snob, and there is nothing I hate more than Chicago style deep dish pizza.  I find it to be thoroughly inedible and unappetizing.  On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE New York Style pizza.  While in New York, I decided to give Toasties a try, and they did not disappoint.  I got a slice of the supreme pizza for $4.08 after tax (a really good deal in my opinion).  While I don't think this pizza was truly New York Style pizza, it was better than most of the pizzas available in Chicago.  The crust was truly toasty, crunchy, and airy.  There wasn't too much cheese or tomato sauce.  My only complaint is that the veggies were a little undercooked and cut too big.

    It looks like Toasties also has a huge variety of other lunch eats and even iced mochas.  I was there at about 12:30 pm and the place was packed with a ton of people.  I felt like a real New Yorker ordering my Pizza among all the New Yorkers.
  • 4/12/2013
    1 check-in here
    I don't know why this place is rated so badly. The service is quick and the food is good, especially the sandwiches(I had the union square). Whenever I want a quick bite and I'm in the area, I go here.
  • 11/23/2009
    This review is for the Pizza.
    Their Grandma square pie is the best I've had!
    It's also the only thing I've eaten from Toasties.  I always order my Pizza here for the office and everyone says the same thing if their having it for the first time, "What is this Pizza called and where did you get it from!?"
    The Pesto is great!  It's definitely fresh and it's what makes the Pizza.   Well that and the great crust!
  • 1/24/2011
    37 check-ins here
    I go to Toasties every now and then for lunch, as well as order dinner from here occasionally as well. I have to say, this isn't necessarily a memorable experience (say, like a Katz's), but they are excellent at what they do. The sandwiches are made fresh; they give you loads of deli meat for a reasonable price (my staple, a honey turkey sandwich, costs $6.25). Their mashed potatoes are also amazing - fresh-made, none of that powdered flaky stuff, and very buttery as well. Their home-made cookies are also deliciously done as well. They aren't the best I've had, but 3 for $2 ain't a bad deal, and they're better than the giant, pre-packaged kind that are loaded up with preservatives.

    It gets pretty busy around lunchtime (it took me a solid 15-20 minutes to wait in line to order, pick up my food, and wait in another line to pay), but the food is worth it. Hard to get better value elsewhere, and they have much better variety, IMO, than the other local chains in the area.
  • 3/5/2012
    You will end up spending over ten dollars when you go here but the food is great.
    I love the faddy Natalie sandwich and the pizza and salads are pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered