Translation from English

Sunday, December 22, 2013

The French Institute ( Alliance Francaise) - Upper East Side /Midtown

I am a little confused here, because years ago this place ( if it IS the same place) was just known only as the Alliance Francaise, and especially famous for its school in Paris to teach foreigners le pur francais.

Anyway, follow the directions in the Yelp review as to how to contact and address etc.

Mixed reviews, which as I remember was ALWAYS the case with them...

  • 8/8/2013
    1 check-in here
    I can only speak for their language classes. While the class was expensive, my French teacher was personable, kind and patient. It moved at a good pace and I felt it was an appropriate level for me. It's true that the class was entirely in French; however, it was an advanced beginner class (203) and I felt this was appropriate at this level.

    There were only 5 people in my class and the teacher did a good job of making sure we all spoke, read, etc. She also incorporated different kinds of exercises, including listening, reading, writing and conversation. I'd recommend someone taking a class here if they can afford it.
  • 11/7/2013
    I decided to take classes at the Alliance Français. I wanted to improve my French speaking skills. However, after visiting the Language Center, I reconsidered about my decision.

    The Language Center was mismanaged and I felt uncomfortable giving my money to a school that appeared to be disorganized. After paying for the classes, the office assistant told me the private instructor will send me a receipt for the payment. The day after, the private instructor calls me and after speaking to me for 3 minutes, he hangs up on me!

    After waiting for a couple of days for the class receipt I emailed him saying I cannot commit to the classes. I told him to refund me the total amount.

    He sends me an email and refunds me the total amount.

    So with that being said, I will look elsewhere.
  • 9/4/2013
    Highly recommend. Philip's classes are great and fun. Fast pace and you need to do your homework (I never do and although multilingual and a fast learner not doing homework will catch up on you). Smart boards, nice environment, great library incl. computers, movies on Tuesdays, rendez-vous (social gatherings), wine tastings. Classes are all age groups and students of different occupations which makes it interesting.
  • 4/3/2013
    Just go to Fluent City instead.

    Took an intermediate/advanced course after I couldn't make Fluent City classes.
    Not taking classes here again. The materials given were uninteresting, more outspoken people monopolized class time, and if you didn't talk over people, you didn't speak. This may be advantageous if we're trying to learn debating in French, but really we were just discussing topics. With some instructors, you feel embarrassed if you forget a simple expression in French.

    On a related note, there's generally stuffy vibe at the FIAF. Maybe this is partly due to the location, but I mean come on, be a little more welcoming.

    FYI I have take classes at Fluent City and they do a significantly better job at making sure you are directly addressed in the discussion and you don't feel embarrassed when making mistakes.
  • 6/27/2012
    This review is specifically for the Florence Gould Hall, part of FIAF.  This 400 seat hall is actually located on 59 street, at the back of the FIAF's main entrance.  I recently went to this venue to attend a talk with Chefs Eric Ripert & Christina Tosi.

    The venue itself is quite lovely, with wood walls, comfortable seats and a clean setting.  The area outside is large enough to accommodate small tables (where brochures and magazines were being handed out).  The staff was very efficient at shuttling us from the ticketing area to our seats.  Everyone was courteous with nice, welcoming smiles.

    The event went off without a hitch.  The stage was set simply but effectively and the lighting made it dim enough to be comfortable but just bright enough that you didn't feel like you were watching a movie.  The sound was crystal clear and while my friends and I were sitting in the middle section towards the back we could see and hear everything clear.

    I enjoyed visiting this venue and look forward to seeing other events here in the future.
  • 4/20/2011
    two star is based on my own experience.

    I'm taking the beginner's classes. I don't have ANY French knowledge prior to this.

    I DON'T recommend this place for any French beginner, unless you have some basic knowledge of French before, or, you can speak/understand languages that are familiar with French (e.g., Spanish, Italian).

    The instructor speaks/teaches every single word in French in the class. I understand that they want us to get used to French. BUT, how can you expect a person that DOESN"T have any knowledge of French to understand what the teacher is saying??

    I can guess some simple sentences, like "hello" "bye".. BUT, how I can understand the complicated grammar/sentences ALL in French?? Is that the reason why I came here for?...

    Imagine, you are learning Chinese, a language you completely don't know. Then when I teach you, I teach you and explain to you everything in Chinese, will you understand it??

    Also, I think it is important for a French beginner to learn how to pronounce/say those useful sentences/words. Unfortunately, I don't think the teacher teaches us much about it.

    More knowledge about the class: when the teacher was explaining/teaching us EVERYTHING in French. As a beginner, I can't understand what she was saying. Then I asked some of the classmates who seem to understand what the teacher was talking about. I asked them: do you understand French even before coming to this class? Here are some of their answers: one person has some knowledge about French before and had learned it, so she can pick up what the teacher was saying. Another two can speak FLUENT Spanish, and they figured that French are familiar with Spanish--that's why they can understand some parts of the instructions in class. Another person, who is a native Italian speaker, also figured that Italian is familiar with French as well, and that's why she can understand/guess what the teacher was talking about in French.

    So, I ABSOLUTELY WON'T recommend anyone who doesn't have ANY knowledge of French before taking classes here. Unless you can speak fluent Spanish, Italian or maybe some other language that is familiar with French.
  • 8/28/2007
    I totally recommend this place if you want to continue your French (culture too, not just language). The price pretty reasonable if you are on a budget, but you will not recieve certification or college-level equivalent credit - it's up to you to take the initiative to learn.

    I've only been exposed to one instructor, but I feel like the classes are very good. Membership for a year is included when you sign up for your first class. There are also events like weekly movies in French and a lending library. The building is very nice, and as a graphic designer, I love their identity and design aesthetic - dots! Who knew?
  • 1/13/2009
    I wish I could award more stars to the FIAF, as I see it as a potentially valuable resource for francophiles, and those who would like to be.  The film events and library are formidable. I cannot say enough about the depth of materials that can be borrowed in the library, and their potential to provide a comprehensive immersion.

    The language classes, however, were a disappointment. As these are not certificate-earning classes, they tend to be populated by many people who are looking to pick up useful travel phrases, more than to communicate in a fully functional way. This is a shame, as some of my instructors seem genuinely vested in their work. But pace and depth is determined by your fellow students, and no matter what level I enrolled myself in, the majority of people didn't seem to take it very seriously. Given the tuition, this hardly represents good value.

    I might suggest that the New York FIAF take a cue from the one in Paris, and offer academic-minded classes for those who want them. Some of my fellow students felt more serious students of the language would be better served at Hunter College, NYU, and the like.
    • 668 friends
    • 1303 reviews
    5/15/2011
    1 check-in here
    The French are so civilized in matters of culture, I often wish Americans would follow suit.  We endlessly debate with each other about our exceptionalism, we completely miss out on the fact that there are better ways of doing things.

    This isn't meant to be heavy-handed and politically divisive.  My inspiration for this observation, after all, is on the proper way to hold a book club meeting.  The French will bring in an expert speaker familiar with all of the author's work, who has made detailed notes about every character, plot development, and the like.  The French will engage every person in attendance.  The French will serve bottles of fine wine to those present, on the house, only because that is the proper thing to do when having company.  The French will offer up insightful commentary that is both engaging and passionate.  Really, the book club discussion at the French Institute is probably the best one I have attended.

    They of course, do so much more than offer discussions on books.  They have films, musical performances, a series of discussions and tastings focused on different French wine regions, they offer language classes at all levels and for all purposes, and, perhaps best of all, they have sessions where you can play Scrabble in French, competitively.  As a fluent speaker of French, this place is a cultural refuge for me.  It's wonderful!
  • 2/24/2010
    I went here to see an exposition on accoutrements and clothings all made out of paper. When I heard about this exposition, my first expression was "oh, i got to see that".

    I actually thought it was genius, Greg Lauren the artist, uses specially treated Japanese paper and oil to make clothes and clothing accessories. At first sight, what seem to look like wrinkled cotton suits, pants, pea cock, hoods, collars, pockets squares, buttons, and pocket flaps are actually paper made clothings and accessories only noticeable by touch.

    FIAF also has other programs other than expositions, they also have cinemas projections, kids and adults learning programs like book discussion groups, social topics discussion and games.
  • 1/15/2013
    Very poorly run organization.  They contacted me 2 days before my class was to begin and said they were thinking of combining classes and possibly wanted to move my class to another time.  I called them back twice and left voicemails and sent an email as well to try to figure out what in the world was going on.  They then called me back 3 days after the first class was held (which of course I did not attend since it was unclear if there was a class, what the class was to be, and what time the class was to be held) and told me they were refunding my money.  Not kidding!

    As an aside, I did study at the Alliance Française in Paris for 2 months and found it to be a very, very well run, awesome organization with fabulous teachers.  The NYC run Alliance Française seems to be the exact opposite.
  • 2/23/2011
    21 check-ins here
    I take classes here, and I really like it. The classes are small, and the teachers are good.

    They are also having events all the dang time. Wine tastings, wine classes, films and film lectures, art exhibits, etc.

    The library is awesome, helpful for French students at any level.
  • 6/15/2009
    I am passionate about learning French.  I've been to Paris three times, I watch TV5 every night before I go to bed, I listen to LearnFrenchbyPodcast on a regular basis and I went to FIAF twice.

    Both times that I was enrolled at FIAF I took the 11 week course two days a week, an hour and a half a day.  It's a lot of French to absorb, but if you're serious about learning it's a great course.  They're serious about teaching and always keep their classes small.  You'll never be crammed in a room with a bunch of other students.

    When you enroll you're automatically a member and can check out books or movies from their library or see movies at their cinema.  They also have special events that members can attend, and non-members for a fee.

    My only complaint would be that the cost for their courses are a little out of my league.  I really enjoyed the classes, but I don't think I'll be going back unless the pricess fall a bit.  Check out the available courses and prices on-line.  If you can afford it, by all means do it.  You won't be disappointed.
  • 9/19/2012
    Great place to learn French and enjoy the library for peace & quiet since that's a rare commodity in the city. FIAF has a full calendar of cultural/arts and conversation events. Venue itself is clean and well-kept.
  • 7/16/2007
    The FIAF is great for keeping in touch with French culture and especially cinema.  This past year they had two avant-premieres of critically acclaimed French movies (Indignes and la Mme), which didn't open in regular theaters until several months later.

    Their annual membership is a good deal if you plan on seeing a lot of movies; their other events are a bit pricey to partake of regularly (at least if you're on a student budget), but I also enjoyed studying in their library which has free wireless and new issues of all your favorite French magazines.
  • 9/15/2009
    After not taking French since High School, and a 2-week trip to the Alps in the future, I decided to spend some money on language classes. As a former ESL teacher, I appreciate FIAF's Immersion methods. Some instructors follow the Immersion approach better than others, and some students understand the concept more than others. (There is always at least one in the class that wants an English translation for EVERYTHING, which can really mess up your learning)

    Summer 2-Week Immersion classes are the best bang for your buck, and will generally have a more international, although younger, group of folks than the nighttime, once a week classes.

    The library is fantastic, and their involvement in other Francophone events in the city is nice. They follow the European standard, which is good if you ever end up overseas and wanting to continue your studies, as it is recognized all over the EU and UK.

    As with any private language school, it's what you make it. I've made some new friends, discovered some new restaurants, and generally kept my mind busy learning a new language and culture...and that's what living in NYC is all about!
  • 9/13/2012
    This is the place to go if your serious about learning french. I was taking the beginners class and the teacher speaks  in french right from the first class.  Great variety of classes and times to suit all schedules. The staff are very helpful and professional. Lots of events you can attend once you are a student. They also have movies, books and comics available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered