Translation from English

Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Bar Room Restaurant- Upper East Side

Another great looking place...French mostly I gather...gets a lot of raves and a few sour apples.

Keep hearing wows about the decor, as one man says, "wow, this place sure is perty."

Drink oriented but food reviews such as they are are OK except for complaints about having to wait too long for food.


Edit
  • 117 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
    b/t Park Ave & Lexington Ave in Upper East Side
  • Transit information 4 5 6 6X F N Q R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 561-5523
  • Business website thebarroomnyc.com
Yelp Ad

Iridium Jazz Club

65 reviews
hellen k. said "A well deserved FIVE STAR review. The Iridium is NOT: overpriced, a tourist trap, unfriendly, or crowded. The Iridium IS: a genuine music venue, fairly priced cover charge, customer friendly, top notch…" read more
  • 11/11/2013
    After being told the wait at Serendipity down the street was an hour and a half, my group of seven decided to hang out in Central Park until our table was ready. Well guess what, we never made it to Central Park because we were drawn in by the allure of The Bar Room. The decor was upscale and felt old in that trendy rosy-recollection-of-the-good-old-times-of-­yesteryear sort of way, yet didn't feel the least bit pretentious. The long bar is made of rich, dark wood, which gives the space a warm, yet elegant feeling.

    The music (Sam Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald, et al) was a refreshing change from the typical noise pumped into most NYC bars/eateries. Our group only sampled the drinks, so I can't attest to the quality of the food, but from what I observed on the menu, the dishes appeared to be inventive and lively.

    Our group sampled the following drinks: mimosa, bellini, Salty Dog, screwdriver, and the best Old Fashioned I've ever had. All drinks were wonderful and carefully prepared by the bartender, who was extremely friendly and personable.

    I'd recommend the bar room for anyone looking for a nice place to get a drink in a relaxed, yet upscale, setting.

    Also, definitely try the classic Old Fashioned. It is remarkably perfect in a simple way that allows for the drink's main flavors to shine.
  • 12/15/2013
    1 check-in here
    Met a friend here on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to grab some after-work drinks. Space seemed pretty large with a bar area (with tables lined behind the bar) and a dining area in the back.

    I ordered the The Clay-Kiser Peach (white peach, fresh lemon, Bourbon). I've never been very good at picking out drinks for myself but boy was this drink strong! After we were there for awhile, we also decided to get a side of fries and brussels sprouts. I'll admit I have a slight addiction to fries. The fries were ok but I really liked the brussels sprouts! I paid $27 for my drink and split the sides.

    This is a nice place close to work to grab drinks, a little on the pricey side.
  • 12/11/2013
    1 check-in here
    I came here based on a friend's recommendation and absolutely enjoyed my time. We hosted a birthday party of more than 30+ people and did not need to make a reservation. The noise level of the place was at a good level, there was enough space for everyone, and we were even able to get tables joined together for our party. The bartenders were all nice and friendly, accommodating and engaging. One of the staff even passed out fresh donuts, amazing.

    The overall feel of the place is classy comfortable. Everything complemented each other, from the murals to the seats. I will definitely come back to try the food. Check it out if you're in the neighborhood-I came when it was open for only a month or two, I hope it hasn't been crazy packed/unmanageable since then. It's a great place to catch up with a friend or unwind for the night, no loud music and wild crowds.
    • M K.
    • Montclair, NJ
    • 0 friends
    • 127 reviews
    12/19/2013
    From the atmosphere to the staff to the drinks to the food...just a terrific dining experience.  Good pour from the bar and incredibly fresh and tasty food with friendly, fun, attentive service.  Will definitely return.
  • 12/7/2013
    1 check-in here
    My friend and I were looking for a bar conveniently located for both of us transit wise so we stumbled upon this place with the help of Yelp. The decor is very classy and with this immediate neighborhood lacking in good classy bars I'm sure this is a welcome addition. It was Monday night so it wasn't terribly busy but the bar was filled with a healthy amount of after work drinkers. My friend was celebrating a little something so we each had a glass of prosecco to start with and after I perused their cocktail menu I tried a bourbon cocktail. Shame I don't remember the name anymore but it was very good and I would definitely keep this place in mind for the future. The dining area also looked lovely with a beautiful skylight.
  • 12/10/2013
    Came in for dinner with my parents who were in town last Saturday. I forgot to make a reservation anywhere so I decided to check open table for what was near by. So I found the bar room.

    When we arrived there was a vibrant bar crowd that seemed intimidating. After squeezing through the crowd we entered a beautiful and intimate dining room. The skylight, the mural, the decor; fit the space perfectly.

    We started with the kale salad the steak tar tar and the oysters. I had the lamb chops. It was such a great meal I was really impressed with food.

    Really cool wine list as well.
  • 11/8/2013
    1 check-in here
    I recently visited The Bar Room with a large group of colleagues for a co-worker's going away party.

    The space is beautiful, with a very long, gleaming wooden bar leading back towards a seating area with tables at the rear of the space. Opposite the bar is a series of tables against a wall-length banquette.

    The bar was super crowded at 6:00pm on a Thursday. Lots of guys in suits coming for happy hour, and as it got later in the evening, more folks came for dinner in the back.

    Staff was super friendly, and they put together about eight tables for our larger-than-expected group. Drinks came promptly, and our wine glasses were constantly refilled (the company bought several bottles of wine).

    We also tried several of their appetizers, sharing platters of fried calamari, spinach artichoke dip, cod fritters, and french fries. Everything was extremely hot and cooked perfectly. I don't think there was a single thing to complain about with regard to the food.

    Minus one star, however, for the somewhat limited beer selection. It's nothing special, and they could do with offering more variety.
  • 10/17/2013
    1 check-in here
    I came here for lunch and ordered the soup and sandwich special.
    After waiting for over 1/2 hour- (the drink arrived 10 minutes after I had been seated), my sandwich arrived but alas no soup. The sandwich was plain and extremely salty. After I had finished the sandwich and a slight displeasure that I was supposed to get the soup prior to the meal, the soup arrived. It was possibly the worst clam chowder I have ever had in my life as it was floating in oil.
    I'm not going back to this restaurant again. Ironically it wasn't even that busy yet the kitchen staff was overwhelmed.  The waitress was nice enough and kept apologizing but when I asked for the check, I was presented with the bill with no pen to sign. It just goes to show how inexperienced everyone must be at this place. And yes, I had to wait even a few minutes for a pen!!!
  • 9/17/2013
    2 check-ins here
    The Bar Room is seriously awesome. From the French Brasserie decor to the wine list, I could spend hours here. Maybe I am too much of a sucker for black and white tile floors though (as my home decor pinterest board may indicate)?

    Definitely a younger, more casual crowd here, which is refreshing for the area. Try the Chardonnay - it's like a butter caramel in a glass.
  • 9/7/2013
    2 check-ins here
    This place is SO BEAUTIFUL.  The skylight in the back totally makes it.  It's got this old-world Paris chic feeling to it.  It's absolutely gorgeous.

    The hostess and bartender were phenomenal and quick to befriend me.  The wine list was nothing to scoff at-- it took me a few minutes to decide!  They even had the New York Times on the bar for anyone who wanted to read it.

    I really want to come back here.  I was so thrilled when I happened upon it.  It's so new, and definitely makes the area a lot more interesting.

    I haven't had the food but will be back!
  • 9/22/2013
    1 check-in here
    I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the decor. What I did NOT enjoy however, was my fig mojito... It was like sprite gone bad with some fruity juice in it. Did not taste like a fig or a mojito at all!

    I met a friend here one evening for drinks, and we decided to get a few drinks along with the Spinach & Artichoke dip ($9). This was the BEST spin-dip I have everrr had. The artichokes were softer and cooked more thoroughly than most... Not too creamy or cheesy. It was PERFECT.

    The noise level was nice, we heard each other just fine and the service was average.

    I'd give it 2 stars if it was up to my $14 cocktail... But the atmosphere and spin dip made up for it..
  • 11/15/2013
    I came here last night with two friends (male friend, female friend) for a drink and appetizers.  I joined a little later than the two of them.  When they sat down, the waiter brought over one menu for female friend and took her order, however, he acted surprised when male friend wanted to also see a menu and place an order.  When I arrived a little later, the waiter came over after a long wait and asked if I wanted to see a menu, but brought me the wrong one.  The waiter also neglected to fill male friend's water glass when filling ours. Maybe it was just an off night, but we left feeling offended by his behavior.  Otherwise, the food was fine and the drinks not bad.
  • 8/14/2013
    I came here for drinks on a Friday night. My friends and I got a table by the bar (which is BEAUTIFUL!), and the waitress regularly came by to take drink orders. We had a couple of cocktails, which were very flavorful, strong, and delicious. They have a good selection of beers, but I opted for a cider (on draft - bonus).

    Didn't get a chance to try the food, but the menu looks great and I definitely want to go back for dinner!
    • AJ S.
    • Riverdale, Bronx, NY
    • 3 friends
    • 90 reviews
    10/26/2013
    This place was a surprising GEM in food, service and ambiance.

    The place had an upscale-vibe to it without being pretentious. The Host and servers were very courteous, upbeat and expeditious. I was doing a little surprise cakery for my friend and Gage (I think that was his name) took care of that for me and I believe one of our servers Ella took care of acquiring a candle for me; very cool!

    Onto the food:

    We all made the unanimous decision to get a burger:
    The Bar Room Burger clothbound cheddar, sliced pickles and melted onions (We all enjoyed this a lot; the cheese really covered the burger well so we felt like we got our adequate dairy intake for the day; it was also bigger & more filling than it initially appeared in photos and on the menu. I had to take half of it home doggy-bag style and the joint re-heated very well in my microwave, which I always say is the mark of truly good cuisine! It was a great burger on a Brioche bun [ya can never go wrong with brioche in my eyes]. The problem: The Bar Room Burger comes with fries that were not that special, they were flavorless and soggy; perhaps they could be revived with some herbs, some Parmesan, some Lawry's, some somethin'! Those spuds needed help but none of us could be too mad at the chef because they really did a good job on all of our burgers).

    Overall, this place is pretty great. I was gonna give this place 4-stars (since those fries really did hurt the burger entree as a whole) but I feel too compelled to give 1 more star for the above & beyond customer-service exhibited by multiple people, but specifically from my man Gage (at least I think it was Gage). He really hooked my friend up by charging her cell for her with his own charger; he took it from her and then hand-delivered it to her once it was fully charged!

    Now IDK if Gage was trying to flirt, IDK if he was trying to get some (cuz you know my man Gage is a playa y'all) but I will perceive his actions as nothing more than a demonstration of the earnest-care The Bar Room extends to all of its patrons on a daily basis.
  • 7/2/2013
    1 check-in here First to Review
    Wow, this space sure is perty.

    Sky lights, old money meets modern decor, fancy drinks, and plenty of old school whimsy is what you can expect from this new lil' critter in Lennox Hill (or Upper East Side, whatever you prefer).

    It's just getting its sea legs now, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this wet behind the ears pup grows into a full grown animal. #beastmode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered