Translation from English

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Nice Antiques in Village (always were) but probably expensivo as hell

These stores are on East 11th Street between Broadway and University Place.

I was down there for a restorative yoga class today (Ishta Yoga--really nice place)-- and then wandered around the North Village. (Until my camera said my battery was dead...I waited a while and then found I could go on taking pix anyway. I wonder what the real state of my batteries is!)

Anyway, I just remember there used to be cluster of Auction Houses in this area, and what a load of "stuff" they used to have. Incredible selection of chandeliers, fireplace fronts, mantel clocks, chairs,
you name it...sometimes I would wander by in the evening and they would be holding an auction, all middle aged and older people...wonder where those places are now).

One of my acquaintances who lives farther West says small shops in the Village are simply equivalents of the ones on Upper Madison Avenue-- extremely pricey boutiques. She is particularly distressed about what has happened to women's clothing stores over around Abingdon Square in the West Village) ( i am going to have to make yet another foray into the heart of Greenwich Village in a while...so much has changed since I lived anywhere near the area-- and you know what I noticed the most today? All these little saplings people had planted out on the sidewalk are now full grown trees! That is kind of scary as a reminder of how much time has passed).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered