Translation from English

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Time Running Out for June Weddings

Well, the Month for Brides is almost over. I noticed a magazine at a local news kiosk with a happy bride on it today. So there still is a little time.

Statistically, I doubt people who marry in June do any better than any other month. It is just a nicer time for weddings in the Northern Hemisphere and a better time for honeymoons for a lot of people.

My brother and his first wife had a June wedding...My brother and all his fellow Navy carrier pilots in their Summer Dress Whites, which made them look pretty darn spiffy.

The happy couple exited down the aisle under a canopy of swords crossed above them (some people would wonder if this is really such as good idea...well, it is a tradition).

Then the bride and groom drove off in high spirits for their honeymoon.

It was only some years later that they began to talk about what a big mistake they had made: in their eagerness to be the newlyweds rushing off, they had skipped their own wedding reception.

As they told me later,"There we were  sitting around at this motel thinking what a great time we would be having if we had just gone to the reception. We felt foolish. " They admonished me and my sister never to make such a mistake. That's one thing having an older sibling is good for, you can learn from their mistakes...

Miss your wedding reception?

Something I'll bet a  good Wedding Planner would never have allowed to happen.

I will forgo going to the internet for stats on what weddings cost these days, but believe me we are talking "big bucks," as this one friend of mine used to say...

I heard on the BBC that it the cost of weddings had hit a record high a couple of years ago, and it was up there in the 20,000 pound sterling range or something for a lot of people ...

Maybe with the recession they have cut back. But I wonder, I was aware how big deal this had become back in the 1980's when I realized there was a Society of Wedding Photographers who had a magazine or at least a newsletter too . One of the big problems back then was that wedding dresses which had been cleaned with certain chemicals photographed blue. Well, better than red..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered