Translation from English

Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Museum Mile" in Manhattan-- Too Late for the Festival but still a great (if long) walk up Fifth Avenue

Manhattan's wonderful Museum Mile is a magnet for tourists and I would have gotten a pic or two there today except my camera batteries went and had no spares...I am beginning to think the fault is with my camera...but, ANYWAY...

We just had the Museum Mile June Festival here, when traditionally on one night admission to all the Museums is free.

A woman I knew and I took advantage of this back about..wow, was it 2002? And to our surprise, we ran into people we knew who were doing the same thing we were...

I loved all of it, but the Guggenheim was a revelation.  We started at the top and wound our way down past a  beautifully laid out series of exhibits...

 I had often sort of wondered about the well-- exaggerated nature of the Guggenheim's Design, but in this case Frank Lloyd Wright knew exactly what he was doing...

We did not stop at the Metropolitan, being too eager to get to other places we ordinarily did not go to... but I can attest the Met is worth it, any time...
Let me just add a photo or two I have taken at the Met of items I especially liked..I just ran a post on the Met a while ago, but I will repeat one or two of those pix anyway....
Oh, so many of the Met's exhibits have been so terrific...I wish I had pix of this one show of Art from 15th Century Prague that showed it starting off with a Byzantine influence and then changing dramatically as influences came in from the rest of Europe...
The sculpture on display is of course fantastic and wide ranging across time and cultures...
I find these dancing men from Southeast Asia really cool...
The Rodin sculptures the Museum has are first rate..one problem I have always had is that no flashes are permitted ( but I noticed some people do it  anyway)...so focus can be a little soft  at times...
Well,  I have to get back to the Met again soon...I cannot make up my mind to go there or over to the West Village and finish up my tour of that area...well, back to our story here

Museum Mile is the name for a section of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan in the city of New York, in the United States, running from 82nd to 105th streets on the Upper East Side,[20] in an area sometimes called Upper Carnegie Hill.[21] The Mile, which contains one of the densest displays of culture in the world, is actually three blocks longer than one mile (1.6 km). Nine museums occupy the length of this section of Fifth Avenue.[22] A tenth museum, the Museum for African Art, joined the ensemble in 2009, however its Museum at 110th Street, the first new museum constructed on the Mile since the Guggenheim in 1959,[23] opened in late 2012. In addition to other programming, the museums collaborate for the annual Museum Mile Festival, held each year in June, to promote the museums and increase visitation.[24]

Museums on the mile

Additionally, on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 70th Street lies the Frick Collection, though this is not part of Museum Mile.

Museum Mile Festival

The annual Museum Mile Festival traditionally takes place here on the second Tuesday in June from 6 – 9 p.m. It was established in 1979 to increase public awareness of its member institutions and promote public support of the arts in New York City.[26] The first festival was held on June 26, 1979.[27] The ten museums are open free that evening to the public. Several of the participating museums offer outdoor art activities for children, live music and street performers.[28] During the event, Fifth Avenue is closed to traffic.

Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered