Translation from English

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Poem by Mary Elizabeth Coleridge- PoemHunter.com

Mary Elizabeth Coleridge 
Share


Affection

The earth that made the rose,
She also is thy mother, and not I.
The flame wherewith thy maiden spirit glows
Was lighted at no hearth that I sit by.
I am as far below as heaven above thee.
Were I thine angel, more I could not love thee.

Bid me defend thee!
Thy danger over-human strength shall lend me,
A hand of iron and a heart of steel,
To strike, to wound, to slay, and not to feel.
But if you chide me,
I am a weak, defenceless child beside thee.

Mary Elizabeth Coleridge

More poems from Mary Elizabeth Coleridge


from PoemHunter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered