Translation from English

Monday, December 9, 2013

Whitman and Bloom- Kips Bay

Well, people like Whitman and Bloom a lot...

For some reason, someone had "toilet papered" the tree in front of the restaurant over the weekend and it had not been taken down when I took this picture on Sunday.

Reviews are very positive and speak for themselves...

  • 384 3rd Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    b/t 27th St & 28th St in Kips Bay
  • Transit information 4 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 725-4110
  • Business website whitmanandbloom.com
Yelp Ad
Nikki H. said "Went here last night for the first time in my 11 years of living in NY- I know - shameful. I went to see Raheem DeVaughn and had a great time. But this review isn't about him. Ha! I arrived for the 8pm…" read more
  • 12/3/2013
    This place is great. It's mellow, the music is at a decent volume and the food is fantastic. The beer selection is pretty solid. All the bartenders and wait staff are extremely friendly, which is a rarity in the city. The space is narrow, but quite large. The downstairs area is rarely used, but it would be a nice place to escape if the main level is crowded.

    I'm making this my neighborhood bar. One small complaint is that they have a DJ on Friday and Saturday nights. The mellow atmosphere is what drew me to this place and it hard to have a decent conversation over Michael Jackson. It's weird, because a DJ totally doesn't fit with the restaurant/bar and they play great music throughout the week. Other than the DJ, this place is pretty perfect (especially for the area).
  • 12/4/2013
    1 check-in here
    This restaurant has a lot of potential.  The neighborhood lacks innovative dining so a concept restaurant like this is much needed.

    The decor of this place is beautiful. Music, mood, and atmosphere are fantastic.  The waitress was absolutely lovely and took great care of us.

    The drinks were mediocre.  The bar is masquerading as a cocktail bar.  If you charge $14 for cocktails, you need a proper bar tender/mixologist.   At this bar, the drinks felt like someone pouring beers was following a recipe for drinks.  That's fine, but then charge $9 or $10 a drink.

    Wine was fine.

    The food was well designed, but poorly executed.  In fact, I'm going to say it's the worst meal I've had in at least 4 months in NYC.  Our party firmly decided we won't be coming back for food.

    We had pretty much all the dishes recommended on Yelp as well as some by our server.  They were presented well and looked delicious. However, they were all over salted, over oiled, over buttered.  If you want to use a "grown local" approach, don't pollute the good, presumably fresh, food with a lot of unnecessary and unhealthy flavorings.
  • 12/3/2013
    I just have to say that I cannot wait until I can go back. We live closer to the East Village, but were looking for a  new place to have a relaxing dinner and a beer. Found Whitman and Bloom on Open Table and saw that they had a lot of open spaces on an early Sunday evening, so we hoofed it north a few blocks. I'm so glad we did.

    Beer list was fun and had selections, including two IPAs I'd never tried before. Our Irish server was adorable and helpful--particularly with his recommendation of the focaccia with goat cheese and mushrooms to start. Yum. The bread was cooked to the right bite and had just the right amount of salt.

    From there we moved to a roasted artichoke salad that was hard to share because it was so good. Lamb sliders were three mini brioche buns with a dollop (I could have wished it was a little bigger) of pulled lamb and pickled onions. The sliders were served with this intriguing spoonful of a condiment of what I believe was minced jalapeno and parsley with lemon juice. Delicious--the right amount of heat and acid. I was putting on everything.

    Next was the grilled striped sea bass served with roasted fennel. The fish was perfect, with a crisp skin and flaky but still tender fish. The fennel had that caramely grilled flavor with a little sweetness and I think I stopped being able to hear anything around me because I just focused on that flavor. But if that all wasn't good enough as is, it was all sitting on top of a burst of flavor bright green sauce that I think might have been made with watercress oil if such a thing exists. I'm glad that they give you a basket of rustic homemade bread because I ate two pieces so I could scoop up all that sauce.

    One of my favorites of this place of new favorites were the homemade pickles. A little dish of pickled broccoli and turnips came with my fish and as I stabbed a piece of turnip if flew onto the floor. After gobbling up every other piece I was tempted to reach down and grab it because it was that delicious.

    The room is lovely, too. A very long bar on one side is open and inviting and I will have to go back and just sit there some evening and soak up the ambiance, try one of the beers I didn't get to try on my first visit, and eat a large bowl of pickled vegetables with a spoon.
  • 11/27/2013
    This is a great new space in Kips Bay and we enjoyed our experience here.  Love the decor and ambiance.  It's cozy and can be romantic but can also just be a great place to catch up with friends.  Definitely want to come back here to take advantage of their happy hour.

    What we got:
    Roasted Cauliflower - This was DELICIOUS!!!  Make sure that you don't eat the cheese cloth!
    Four Cheese Mac - This was a one-shell layered Mac & Cheese so you got a yummy, crispy bite in every forkful; small in portion but perfect for me since I don't eat that much
    Grilled Jerusalem Artichoke Salad - Very leafy and fresh; My friend especially liked the added touch of the hazelnuts
    Dry Aged Hanger Steak - The bone marrow-herb vinaigrette was AMAZING;  I'm not a big fan of hanger steak since I think it's a tough cut but my friend enjoyed it
    Chocolate Cake with Lavender Ice Cream - Wasn't a fan of this because it wasn't really chocolate cake.  More like a thin slice of pure chocolate ganache and I thought the lavender ice cream was a glob of whipped cream.

    Service:
    Waitress was great and very informative as it was the first time we were dining at the establishment.  She was really helpful and I liked her enthusiasm in her recommendations.  Even the food runners were friendly and knowledgeable.
  • 11/26/2013
    1 check-in here
    I'll have to update my review once I come back to eat here, but my bf and I stopped here one evening for some drinks and it was great. I liked the place that used to be here (especially their brunch) but I was pretty excited when something even better looking popped up. Although, as a design, I LOATH the font they used for their logo, but I can look past it. ;)

    First of all, the service here is great. Staff members are helpful and friendly as soon as you walk through the door.

    We had just made it in the nick of time to be able to get a drink during happy hour (goes till 8!), so we both decided to try their white wine spritzer drink, although all of the cocktails on here sounded unique and delicious. We thought about eating here but were in the mood for something else, however, the menu is also pretty unique. The waitress explained that the menu is american/mediterranean shareable small plates. The items on the menu looked pretty good. Anytime a menu has mac & cheese, I usually start salivating just like Pavlov's dog.

    The ambience is really nice. Kind of rustic, barn-ish, shabby-chic with a grandma's home coziness twist? I don't really know how else to describe it. It's dark and moody, perfect for a date. The bar is long, there's like 15 seats there, and then small tables up front with booths intermixed and tables in the back as well.

    I'll definitely come back here for the cocktails and some yummy snacks next time.
  • 11/23/2013
    1 check-in here
    Didn't know I would end up at this place once being turned away from BOTH of its sister restaurants. Boy was I happy that happened. We all know that traveling to Murray Hill is a drag... but for all those that love trying new innovated modern rustic feeling restaurants. Whitman and Bloom is a must try. Now to the food

    Mac & cheese is a must get. Once I noticed it on the menu I knew I had to get it. Sharp cheese and crispiness on top, giving it that extra crunch is not found to offend in Mac & cheese dishes. But with this Whitman and bloom creation, it certainly is. Simply delectable and a must!

    Ordering their special of the night, which was veal cheeks and market grilled vegetables with potatoes as an entree seemed interesting. Being always open to trying new foods and something that isn't usually on the menus, figured why not. Verdict... Veal cheeks were actually very tasty but however the market grilled assorted vegetable were a fail. In addition to the veal cheeks dish, also ordered a shrimp dish that was very simple and not that rememberable. But doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, because I did.

    Decor very modern with a rustic farm feel. Cute place for date or drinks and dinner with friends. Service was very good, shout out to Annie who was very attentive and making sure my experience at Whitman and Bloom was pleasurable. Check it out, you will really enjoy it! Well be back again.
  • 11/12/2013
    Wow Wow Wow!  This space is a pleasure to be in.  The environment in this restaurant is like the perfect combination of smart, cozy and cool.
    The food...OMG....every bite was something to be savored.
    If you want to impress the girl without seeming like you are trying to hard Whitman & Bloom is your spot.
    Defiantly my new favorite spot.
  • 11/13/2013
    In the 4 years I've lived in NYC Whitman & Bloom is now in my top 5 favorite restaurants. High scores on all front. You walk in....soft, boozy ambiance with great music and lighting....every single person working there was cool, down to earth, professional and NOT snobby.....which as you all know is a rare farm occurrence in this city.

    THE FOOD. Original, thoughtful and interesting selection...reasonably priced....OK....I could have eaten the Roasted Cauliflower as a meal with its INSANE homemade cheese (more please!) Then main dish I tried the Pulled Lamb Sliders YUM. I LOVE me some horseradish so the horseradish yogurt could have used a bit more horseradish and the pulled lamb could have had a bit more lamb....but the taste was out of this world. OH....and the artisan bread and dipping sauce they bring you....I called it "magic sauce" could also be a meal unto itself.

    The bar is incredibly inviting and I could see myself just hanging there for drinks....beautifully decorated in what I would call "gloaming-library-chic".

    gloam·ing  (glmng)
    n.
    Twilight; dusk.

    Alex the manager is fantastic and will take care of you.

    Homerun kids....this place is really done right.
  • 11/1/2013
    I decided to drop by for dinner because I didn't see the usual crowd of smokers blocking the sidewalk in front of what used to be the old Artica.

    I like what they have done with this place and its a welcome improvement. The interior design is a cross between a classic speakeasy with hints of a southern accented parlor. Don't ask me how I came up with that, you should go see for yourself. The place is decorated with old books, antique cameras and typewriters.

    I sat at the front bar (there's smaller one in the back) and ordered a beer. They have cocktails as well but I felt like a beer that night. There are 12 beers on tap and they cover all of the bases. The menu leans towards bistro style with cheese and charcuterie boards with "garden", "bay" and "farm" sections. What impressed me is Whitman and Bloom also provides fresh bread accompanied with a tomato-garlic olive oil for you dip said bread.

    I decided to try the roasted beet with romaine salad and their burger. The salad came out great, and not overly dressed. It had nice chunks of roasted beets, crisp romaine, thick slivers of parmesan and it was accented with two baby radishes that still had their leafy tops attached.

    Any restaurant can be judged on the quality of their burger and Whitman and Bloom delivers. The burger arrived medium rare as ordered and really juicy. At one point I was using the fries that came with the burger to collect some of the burger juice on my plate (don't judge till you've tried it). The burger does appear to be a little petit, but it definitely satisfies.

    I didn't venture downstairs so not sure what they've done down there. All in all, Whitman and Bloom is worth checking out.
  • 10/20/2013
    Yay, I'm a fan! I went here last night for just a few drinks with my boyfriend.  We already had dinner elsewhere.  I'm interested in trying the food but already know the few options for vegetarians will leave be wanting more.

    I came here previously when it was Artica and threw my holiday party here.  It was definitely an upscale bar in the neighborhood but we need more bars like this one.  I'm looking forward to visiting again.

    FYI - happy hour specials of wine, cocktails, and beers until either 7 or 8pm.  Brunch coming soon.
  • 10/10/2013
    1 check-in here
    Big fan of the new place! I've been to this bar back when it was Artica and nearly written it off completely. I appreciate that mgmt noticed the void in the neighborhood and took a chance on a new, more mature vibe. Good spot for 30-somethings. It's actually cool now ;)

    The renovations make better use of the space in an updated way, the menu has been redone (try the chocolate cake and lavender ice cream -yum!) and oh, Stephanie F. and Donal are the best, most attentive bartenders ever - it's like they read your mind before you order. Great after work, happy-hour spot...or anytime really. Check it out.
  • 11/17/2013
    Came here for dinner last night and it was great! Cool ambience and amazing food. Highly recommend the chicken with mashed potatoes!
  • 10/25/2013
    I read about this place in the "Bar Tab" column of the New Yorker and since it is close by me thought I'd check it out for a girls night.

    My gfs and I all had wine...which was good, but, this place is supposed to be known for cocktails. The bar area is nice and cozy - probably a good spot for a casual first date drink. But, do not come here for the food. My GFs and I ordered to share the ravioli, the cauliflower, the tuna bruschetta and the lamb ribs...I was not impressed. The tuna bruschetta was served with chickpeas and some other kind of bean thing...it honestly felt like something I would throw together in my kitchen to take to work for lunch. The cauliflower dish was basically 1/4th of a head of cauliflower with a few florets to eat with some kind of dip that didn't really seem to go with it. The lamb ribs were described to us as "roasted for 13 hours and the meat falls off the bone"...it was not well prepared. For 2 rounds of drinks each, along with the food, our bill was about $70pp - you can find better tasting food at that price.

    I would come back here to try the cocktails...If you are looking for a good spot to grab a drink and catch up with friends or a first date, this spot has a nice ambiance...just skip the food!
  • 10/20/2013
    I love this new wine bar in Kips Bay! The atmosphere is laid back and chic and the decor is really interesting to look at- attention was paid to every inch and every detail in the space. The staff is awesome- the owner is always on hand to share a friendly word and the staff is on their toes and very attentive. The food will keep you coming back- try the chicken liver pate, the lamb ribs and a nice selection of cheeses. The wine list is nicely done, as are unique cocktails and solid beer selection- something for everyone! Yelp says no outdoor seating but there are a few tables out front!
  • 11/3/2013
    This is a very welcome change from the existing tenant Arctica.
    The place has a warm and modern fit out which gives the place an intimate feel.

    The food here was great, delicious. The 'medium' portion is well suited to 2, maybe maximum 3 people. My girlfriend and I have 4 different plates with a mixture of small and medium sizes. For the price, things are a bit on the small side.

    I had a couple of cocktails and they too were delicious, but the alcohol content was questionable.
  • 11/11/2013
    After turning away from Cask and Banc Cafe because of long waits, I was pointed to Whitman and Bloom, the third in these Kips Bay sister restaurants. Absolutely no regrets.

    It starts with folksy staff (Annie is terrific) and un-rushed service in a cozy farmhouse-meets-Restoration-Hardware atmosphere.

    Fresh, chewy, rustic bread arrives with a salty white bean, olive oil, and garlic puree. Devoured. Seeing my empty bread basket and ramekin, a passing host saw my expression of joy and disappointment, then brought more. The Mac & Cheese is phenomenal. I'd venture to say the best I've had - in that it eschews boring mellow creaminess in favor of sharp, shallow-dish crispiness, and comes crowned with three planks of pure sharp... cheddar?

    Many dishes are tapas-sized portions (albeit at full entrée prices). The veal cheek special was my introduction to the cut, and a luxurious one at that, set atop au gratin potatoes. Brilliant. Grilled shrimp on butternut squash puree was delicious but less successful: a too-small portion of shrimp within a cluster of sliced, fire-grilled root veggies, including al dente potatoes which were not to my liking (fully cook my potatoes, please). An order of sautéed greens yielded a paper bag of warm haricots verts, dressed in something slightly acid. A near perfect side.

    Dessert was a tiny piece of chocolate cake with the density of dark matter, paired with homemade lavender ice cream. At first glance, it looked like an insufficient portion, but that chocolate wallop carries far, and is tempered with the ice cream. It was just right and perfectly paired with a cup of their Cafe Americano - black.

    There is no question that I'll be back.
  • 10/10/2013
    I had dinner here with a friend a few days ago and was impressed with the food.  We had some grilled vegetables, cheese, the sardines, a fantastic tomato salad (which we were informed will sadly be removed from the menu shortly as the season ends), and then a life changing chicken liver pate - which may have just become my favorite food.  I am extraordinarily impressed with the food - every bit of which I am still thinking about days later.
  • 10/3/2013
    First to Review
    Considering we ate here just a few days after they opened, there were surprising few kinks to work out. The service was great, the atmosphere friendly, and the food was excellent.

    We tried a few things, but the chicken liver pate was my favorite. I love liver but am very picky about it, and I've had plenty of chopped livers and pates that I don't like. But I'll be coming back just for this. Be sure to dig to the bottom for the sweet onions... fantastic! My husband really enjoyed the ribeye.

    We found the dishes are best shared, sort of like large tapas. We even shared the mushroom soup (okay, maybe that wasn't the intention, but we wanted to try it!) and it was excellent.
  • 10/4/2013
    My Husband and I ate here during the week.

    I love the feeling of the place as soon as you walk in. The décor gives it a real cool vibe. We started off our dinner with some cocktails. Our perfect way to start. I had the Whitman Spritzer which was right up my alley as it was a nice and refreshing to start my evening. My husband had the Peat Elixer and for the whiskey lovers amongst you its a must

    We like previous posters, shared everything, including the mushroom soup. Although I am not sure you can call it share when you are having a spoon war for the last bite. Try it and you will know what I mean

    The tomato salad was delicious, with the right balance with salty, spice and freshness.

    The Wild Striped Bass Carpaccio, was so subtle in flavors and so light. It is the perfect accompaniment to my other best friend. Wine... Which the bar has a great reasonable and extensive list of.

    The braised veal cheek and the chicken live pate are joined for top honors in my book. The veal cheek comes out on a platter of gratin potato, but they were so light in comparison to the stodgy potatoes I am normally use to that it was great with the richness of the veal. Its sooooo good, no knife needed.... The pate was so smooth and light and came with toasted bread which gave a great base for what is one of the best pate's I have had in the city
  • 10/6/2013
    I have minor contention. The name of this place is hard to remember, and it's pricey.  Whitman and Bloom sounds a lot more like an accounting firm, than a fine dining restaurant.  That said, wow!  I drank a glass of Guinness and loved it.  I typically don't like Guinness for it's bitterness, and never order it.  That was just the drink order.  We had shared the Chicken Liver, the Roast Beef Ribeye along with the Mushroom Soup and a cured meat plate of some sort - I forget the name.  I'm no restauranteur, not by a long shot. But, if you're looking for a unique dinning experience, the food here is that.  These are really unique dishes that taste GREAT !  The general theme, and bottom line for me was this:  Every dish that I ate, I really loved, but I couldn't exactly figure out why I loved it.  Chicken Liver Pate in a cup? Yeah! gimme a spoon.  A Roast Beef Ribeye with about a spoons worth of fattiness? What? I like fat!! Since when? Who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered