Translation from English

Monday, December 9, 2013

Sigfrido's Barber Shop-- Stuy Town

Local people like this place VERY much ( just one sour apple here, rest all very complimentary).

One man who now lives in Boston swings down here when he is in NY, another says " This is what NY is now missing" ( meaning, I believe, the loss of the old nabe barber shop as gentrification takes over).

  • 381 1st Ave
    New York, NY 10010
    b/t 23rd St & 22nd St in Stuyvesant Town, Gramercy
  • Transit information 4 6 6X L Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 475-9513
    • 23 friends
    • 68 reviews
    10/16/2013
    Cheap, Old-School, Tailored Haircuts...what more can you ask for?  Just make sure to lay it out when you sit down how you like everything, and just sit back and relax.

    Total of about 20mins, make convo, don't make convo...whatever floats your boat.

    Adult Haircut = $15
  • 4/10/2013
    I moved to NYC from the 'burbs in 2004. I used to go to a great, old-fashioned barber shop where I used to live and was concerned about where I would find a place I could trust in NYC. Well, it happens that I moved right next door to the best one in the city, imo!

    I've since move from my old 22nd street apt to the UES, but I still make the trip to Mike at Sigrido's! He's been cutting my hair ever since 2004--can't believe it's almost 10 years now. As you can see, most people on Yelp love this place--those who give bad reviews don't know what they're talking about.
  • 1/22/2013 Updated review
    11 check-ins here
    *Review is for Barber Andy*

    So I've been coming here for almost 2.5 years and it seems to be a miss with Barber Andy. He must not know how to cut straight Asian hair or something.
    -He has unevenly cut my side burns at least twice
    -He has left a section of my hair untouched where that hair is twice as long as the rest of my head.
    -Sometimes I feel like he rushes on me so he can cut his other white patrons

    For the Asians, I recommend having Benny. He seems more knowledgeable and hasn't messed up on me yet.
    8/9/2010 Previous review
    Wow, this is how a barber experience should be!

    Barber: Andy
    Cost: $13 (Paid $16)
    Time: 23 minutes…
    Read more
  • 12/21/2012
    Love these guys. They deserve every star. They are always friendly when you walk in the door and they really get to know you. I have been there twice and on the second time (6 weeks later), the guy already knew what I wanted. The haircuts themselves are perfect. Even my wife is happy with my haircut and that is usually impossible.

    They charge $15 for a haircut and it is worth every penny. Go see them. I actually don't know if they take credit card, I prefer to stop by the ATM and just give the guy a $20.
  • 5/20/2013
    3 check-ins here
    This has been my favorite barber shop for the last 20 years.  Yes I am Asian and Andy has always cut my hair well.  Tonight I came in and heard someone yell out he's a Hoya!  I have had every barber in this shop, and have always had a great experience.  It is a great family atmosphere, and everyone takes pride in their work.  They do like to cut it short, just the way I like it.  Now that I know that there is a Hoya dad here I like this place even more.  The person who yelled out he's a Hoya was a friend of mine, and someone who is a great person.  To go somewhere where other great Hoyas have been going for years has endeared me even more to this great old school barber shop!  Hoya Saxa!
  • 11/20/2012
    You guys are the best!!
    Thank you for always giving a guy with very little hair a great quick cut!!
  • 7/31/2013
    Worst haircut of my life. I was in the chair for maybe 10 minutes and he was done. I had to request him to do more which was an even bigger mistake. No two strings of hair on my head ended up being the same length. If you care at all what your hair looks like never ever go here. I should have seen the indicators that this would be a bad haircut. Everyone in there had lopsided hair to begin with. Do not trust these high reviews, your better off cutting your hair yourself. Blindfolded. With you feet. Using a dull knife.
  • 8/26/2011
    I've been going to Sigfrido's on and off since the 90's, more since I moved back to New York.  I live on Long Island now and drive in about every three weeks just for a good old-fashioned no nonsense hair cut.  I used to go to Bruno, now I go to Reuben, they both got it right all the time.

    Entertaining characters in the place, like Jackie; the banter between the barbers; the smell and sting of witch hazel splashed on a cleanly shaved neck; oodles of magazines (some even current); all the pictures and patches of police, firefighters and uniformed workers on the wall; and if you're lucky, Sinatra coming out of the Andy's Bose radio--all these things and more really make this place New York landmark.

    PS - guys, the hair cut cost $13.  If you give them a twenty, let them keep the $7 change for goodness sake.  A beer in a bar cost more than that, and wouldn't you buy one of these guys a beer if you saw them in a bar?  So enough with the $2-$3 tips, the price of cut from the 90's was only $9 now it's $13-they've got to make a living somehow and keep this place going . . .  Long live Sigfrido's!
  • 3/1/2013
    6 check-ins here
    I have been getting my hair cut here for 30 years.  It's the archetypical Italian barber shop.  Still inexpensive at $15 for a haircut.  All of the barbers are very good, but Andy is my favorite.
  • 9/7/2011
    7 check-ins here
    I started getting haircuts at Sigfrido's when I was a child - now I get trimmed here. There is something special about getting your haircut at the barbershop that started it all. After not visiting for years, I walk into Sigfrido's and everyone remembered my name... Now that is all I guy could ask for; a haircut and a friendly conversation covering 20+ years.

    Deal: $15 for a hair cut.
  • 7/16/2012
    1 check-in here
    I've been going to this barbershop for over 25 years. One on the few places that can still do a straight razor shave. For those of us men who refuse to get mani-pedis because we"re well, men this is acceptable pampering. Nice hot towels and the aforementioned straight razor shave. All reasonably price for NYC. Treat yourself.
    • 0 friends
    • 3 reviews
    6/10/2013
    I moved into the city a few months ago and have been looking for a good affordable barber shop. I found sigfridos walking home from work one day and decided to give it a shot. It was a great decision on my part. I've been a number of times now and it's fast and you can't beat the price. I've had 3 different barbers there as all have been great. They give a great hair cut!!
  • 10/8/2012
    I have been going to this shop since I was 2 years old.  The fond memories I had here as a child continue to the present day.  Most importantly, this barber shop is like no other.  It's the type of place where you walk in, they greet each customer by their first name.  They make you feel like family.....there is nothing better then a straight edge razor shave, which if i am not mistaken, is hard to come by these days.  While some of the barbers may have changed over the years, the quality of a haircut hasn't.  Nice atmosphere, classical music in the background to relax to.

    This place is reasonably priced and provides awesome service.
  • 6/22/2010
    I have never written a Yelp review before, so this should tell you how serious I am about Sigfreudo's. I live in Boston now, and I actually schedule meetings in the city just so I can swing by 1st and 23rd to get a haircut and shave. I wish Bruno would adopt me. THAT'S how much I love that place.
  • 10/18/2010
    I've been going here as regularly as possible for the last 17 years and there's no place better. I left NYC almost 3 years ago, but I make sure I'm in need of a haircut every time I go back. Witch hazel,  Barbicide, Gold Bond and WQEW will always make me think of Sigfrido's; a real comfort in a world and a city that's changed so very much
  • 3/26/2010
    2 check-ins here First to Review
    This is the typical barbershop you grandfather took your dad to while he was growing up. I am the third generation going to get a ct and a straight edge shave. Andy and Bruno always have waits, but I love when Mike gives me a shave. They are all total gentlemen there!
  • 5/18/2012
    I've been going to them for over 10 years (previous barber shop on Chambers and Broadway closed and Giorgio retired back to Italy).

    Their prices are reasonable ($13).  My only caveat is you have to pick the right barber as some do NOT listen when I've told them "not too short".  My personal favorite is Mike.
  • 9/12/2012
    great haircut with an awsome old school feeling. if your a Yankees fan, that is a plus as the barbers love to discuss the good old days of the team. $15, how could you go wrong? Ask for Reuben
  • 8/7/2012
    THIS is what so much of Manhattan is losing. They've been cutting hair here since before I was born (a long time). I mean the exact same guys, though with some young guys now to help out.
  • 3/27/2012
    Seems only men have written great things about this shop...well, as a woman with short, wavy, fine hair I can too attest to the wonderful experience and great haircuts!  I have even brought my 93 year old mom for her haircuts, we just love them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered