Translation from English

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Four Seasons Hotel-- Midtown West

Since we have touched on top places lately, here is one of the top rated hotels in Manhattan

A few quibbles and some sour apples but mostly near-raves etc.

Four Seasons Hotel New York

4.5 star rating
82 reviews
$$$$ Hotels

  • 57 E 57th St
    New York, NY 10022
    b/t Madison Ave & Park Ave in Midtown East
  • Transit information 4 5 6 6X N Q R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 758-5700
  • Business website fourseasons.com
Yelp Ad
1.4 Miles away from Four Seasons Hotel New York
An upscale venue located on 5th Avenue in the heart of New York City in Midtown Manhattan, offering two distinctly elegant spaces: Midtown… read more
  • 7/22/2013
    1 check-in here

    I have to say this is one of my favorite hotels in New York. The location is perfect for shopping and getting around. I also love the grand lobby. Sometimes pictures don't do it justice. It's huge and modern! There's a few places to eat and to grab drinks depending on the time. It's true that Four Seasons has the one of the biggest hotel rooms in New York. A regular room is almost like a suite! Plus you get a huge bathroom and a walk in closet for 2.

    The service is of course another level. I guess you can say it matches the price. In my eyes it's worth every penny.

    There's only two things I would improve. One would be to get a bigger spa and the other is where's the pool! It was so hot outside I was dying to jump in. They do offer you to use other pools, but they seem a bit far.

    Now that I'm back in LA all I'm thinking about my great experience and missing the Four Seasons NY!!!
  • 8/1/2013
    Rooms are very nice -- spacious closet and bathroom, cozy sitting area, yada yada. Obviously stellar service. But for $550 per night (and no view), I'd love maybe a bottled water and free Internet service. I'd also like to watch TV from the bed, which you can't do because the TV is small and facing the sitting area. It doesn't pivot enough to view from the bed and you couldn't see the small picture from there anyway.

    What's especially annoying is that there aren't any USB outlets in the room. I forgot my charging outlet. Most decent hotels have a remedy.

    Also, I'd sure like a coffee maker in the room. Annoying.

    And now I've just found out there's no iron/ironing board in here. Are you kidding me?
  • 6/11/2013
    How can anyone give this place less than 5 stars?? They bend over backwards to please you. They will do anything for you, except pay the bill. My bf stays here, and when he does, I have a ball!! The views of Central Park are so beautiful. Their lobby is exquisite. The beds must be pillow top, 1200 count Egyptian cotton, because they feel like a warm hug.

    My only regret is not taking advantage of the restaurant, whose reputation is unmatched. One day, for sure.
    • 10 friends
    • 97 reviews
    9/27/2013
    Paid $1000/night for a mediocre room with a 10 year old broken TV and room that smelled like mildew... the hotel is in a good location, has good amenities but i wouldnt even put this in my top 5 hotels in NYC...very dissapointed.  Also asked for late checkout...they gave me 30 extra minutes, wow, thanks.  Will NOT EVER stay here again...so many other quality hotels that dont just try and get by off name alone.  I was in room 1010.  ONLY positive thing I will say is the staff was VERY friendly and accommodating.. hopefully the ridiculous rates they charge go to paying the friendly staffers well.
  • 6/2/2013
    My room had spectacular views of central park, I didn't want to leave!  I also recommend tea in the lobby.

    My room was fairly large and spacious while my friend's room was small and cramped.  Both rooms were priced at the same rate, too

    all in all, I recommend staying here.
    • 1 friend
    • 11 reviews
    11/16/2012
    I stayed here for my 29th birthday for a week! Although the staff can be a little judgmental, I didn't let their stares ruin my trip! The guests are a little snooty but I sashayed my way through the lobby like a queen on RuPaul's drag race.

    The location is very central and only steps away from all the bougie luxury stores which I am a huge fan of.

    The room felt like more of a studio apartment, with a large spacious marble bathroom with a cool walk-in closet. The service was amazing! They gave me a bottle of Veuve because it was my birthday!

    Only negative is the non-free wifi. Paying that much for a room, you would expect it to be free.
  • 10/12/2012
    This Hotel is just great!

    Perfect Location - right next to central park and Madison Ave, great restaurants and great shopping - Barney's, and many others (that I can't remember), short walk to the theater district and time square. Next to the MoMA

    Perfect Service - couldn't ask for better, four concierges always on duty, impeccable house keeping and room service.

    Great rooms with fantastic views - I think we were on the 45th floor and had a 270 degree view from our rooms, the bathroom was bigger than some of the downtown business hotel rooms I had to stay in. Touch panel for lights and curtains.

    We didn't have diner there but had light snacks and a cocktail at the restaurant and desert and coffee at the bar - great ambiance, not crowded and attentive service.

    Highly recommended.
  • 10/7/2012
    1 check-in here
    Fabulous location, the showers are heaven and I havent slept soo soundly in a hotel in years.

    My only complaints:  no coffeemaker in the room, no water bottles and no newspaper in the morning.
  • 3/14/2013
    9 check-ins here

    I'd say 4.5 stars! Great hotel on 57th between Park and Madison. Great area to be in for some shopping fun!

    Upon entering the hotel we walked up two flights of stairs (only a few steps each) and set our bags down thinking we had reached the front desk for check-in, but was told that it was around the corner to the right. Odd, you would think the check-in desk would be right in front. Anyways, we arrived around 6 in the morning and were lucky enough to get into our room right away. Everyone was so welcoming even at the crack of dawn. (I just wish there was a doorman at this hour to bring your luggage to the front desk for you. My poor hubby had to schlep 2 suitcases and a couple of small bags up all those stairs after getting no sleep on our plane ride to NYC.) After checking in, the bellhop (are they still called that?) took our bags and lead us to the elevator. He opened our door with a KEY! Not a card, an actual key! Well, an electronic version of a key, but I thought it was a nice touch. Made it feel more like home even though I rarely go into my own house with a key (we use the garage).

    Upon entering our corner deluxe room (we were upgraded btw) there was a mini bar in the entry hallway. At first I thought it was to make use of small spaces, but a few more steps in and there was a huge walk-in closet and giant bathroom. It may not be considered big in other cities, but by NY standards, it was freakin' HUGE! Passing the closet/bath area was our bedroom, again, HUGE!!! There was a very comfy bed along with bedside tables, a tv and a sitting area with a coffee table, sofa, and chair on one side and another table and a couple of chairs on the other side. We had a view of some construction opposite the hotel on 57th, but were never disturbed by it. When in our room we never even knew if there was work being done because there was hardly any noise.

    Service was great and FAST. We requested some drinks and it arrived in 5 min, no joke. We've had fast room service before, but this was super fast. I guess no one was ordering anything at that moment or something. Housekeeping was nice and quick as well.

    Checking out was quick and simple as well, once we got to the front. It would've been faster had they had an extra person or two working the desk. Though the hub still prefers The Ritz when visiting the city, I'd definitely stay here again.
  • 1/22/2013
    "Step through a glistening entryway into a soaring lobby steeped in grand tradition-from art deco lamps to a backlit onyx ceiling."

    Welcome to The Four Seasons!

    One of the things I appreciated most about having tea at The Four Seasons is the feeling of intimacy that is created by a combination of the ambiance and the staff. Although you are catered to and tended to, you feel as if you're in your own living room,  with a staff that exists purely for your comfort. It's almost as if a dance is taking place. Our waiter knew exactly when to come around to refill our pot of tea with hot water. (I drink a lot of tea, so this happened quite a bit.) He waited for a pause in our conversation to make his move, so we were never interrupted. We've gone back several times now as a result of how pleased we were with the whole experience.

    The last time we were there, the manager introduced himself and even treated us to a complimentary fruit plate. Everyone made us feel welcome and special from the moment we walked in. The first words out of anyone's mouth were "Welcome back."

    In terms of the Aphrodisiac Quotient, there's definitely a sexy vibe in the air. The lighting was just right (gold tinted, not too bright) and the feel was elegant but not over the top (we were seated in the area between the restaurant and the bar.) A few celebrities popped in while we were there, but nobody made a big deal of any of it, allowing them their privacy, which I liked.

    The Four Seasons is "beloved by New Yorkers and a must-see destination for anyone who enjoys the buzz of locals at play."
  • 6/24/2013
    The restaurant atmosphere is wonderful.  The dining room is a who's who in the media world.

    The food is delicious.  The soups are amazing.  The downside is the prices are really high.
    • Yuxi H.
    • Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, NY
    • 39 friends
    • 481 reviews
    5/26/2013
    It's beloved by New Yorkers and a must-see destination for anyone who enjoys the buzz of locals at play."
  • 9/28/2012
    This place has fallen so far behind its not funny.
    Service is really going downhill and the attention to detail that the Four Seasons is known for is totally not here.

    Been coming here for longer than 10 years and its sad to see it deteriorate the way it is. Redecorating the lobby and lounges downstairs isn't fixing the problem.
    Just look at the photo I posted. Ok it's not just that, housekeeping (some not all) are just lazy and don't complete the job. Concierge are good and reception are good as you'd expect from a Four Seasons. Restaurants are good and fast in execution.

    Ty Warner is a moron too (but that's a whole other subject).
  • 4/2/2012
    Pure Elegance & Luxury

    I have gone too many times & never have I left disappointed.

    They treat you like royalty every time you walk in.
    The Penthouse Suite is quite the comfort if you are staying in New York for quite some time. There were mornings I didn't want to leave bed.

    I tend to extend my stay an extra night so I can lounge around the room & hotel all day :)

    Service: perfection
    Comfort: only the best!
  • 6/14/2013
    I love love love this hotel, it is my favorite place to stay in the city.  Great service, great food and great location for a morning run in the park.

    I especially love the large bathrooms and changing areas with double closets.  I also love that the shower cap comes with a band for my hair, it is the little extras that make all the difference.  The service here in unmatched.

    Last time we stayed we had an amazing/huge balcony, too bad it was too cold out to fully enjoy.

    I will be back soon.
  • 10/4/2007


    I love the I.M. Pei designed lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel.  Others may find the dcor lacking in warmth, but I challenge you to tell me when your Prada-clad feet have sounded better walking across a room.

    Carpet just doesn't have the same effect.  (& it traps dust, dirt & dander.)

    Service has always been courteous & efficient.  I had lunch at the hotel this week, & I was especially impressed by Carlos' performance.  He exceeded my expectations.

    Additionally, I received a timely followup email from the Assistant Director of Food and Beverage, Michael J.K. Bonsor after I inquired about the crackers at the bar.  You must try them - SO DELICIOUS!  In fact, Nicoles' Crackers have already been voted the BEST in Chicago by Chicago Magazine --

    http://www.nicolescracke…

    (Do I have good taste or what?)

    If you can't get to a Four Seasons bar, order them online & let me know what you think --

    http://www.nicolescracke…

    - - -

    Given my recent experiences at the Ritz Carlton & the Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons is my current favorite.  (The Mark is another favorite, but it is currently closed for renovations until Summer 2008.)
  • 11/18/2008
    One night, as we were leaving, a paparazzo took our picture.  Too bad for him.  I'm not Margaret Cho.

    The hotel is beautiful in a big marble-y, federal court house sort of way.  Some people are very particular about mixology so we ended up at the bar here two nights in a row.  I tried a Singapore Sling since it was highly recommended.  The last time I'd had one was in Singapore, at the bar they were supposedly invented at, and I didn't care for them.  Too sweet.  I guess it all depends on how they are made because the one at the Four Seasons tasted very different.  My drink of choice was the Michter's Manhattan though.  So delicious and potent.

    Russell Brand was there one night.  I only recognized him because of MTV commercials and someone took a picture with him.  I am old.  He's quite tall and better looking in person.
  • 10/13/2009
    Whenever friends visit NYC for the first time, my advice has always been:
    *Ride the Staten Island Ferry
    *Check out Grand Central Station
    *Walk up Fifth Avenue
    *Have tea in the Four Seasons lobby; it's a great break; very relaxing in a great setting.  After tea, go the TKTS booth in Times Square around 6pm; there's not much of a line at this time, and still plenty of tickets to many Broadway shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered