Translation from English

Monday, December 9, 2013

Failte Whiskey Bar- Kips Bay

Mixed reviews, most say just a nice simple Irish bar...one sour apple or two, and some who like the place very much. ("Just like a bar in Tipperary" says one happy camper here).

Room upstairs where they have music and also apparently karaoke at times..also available for private parties it seems

Again, this is one of those places where I suppose you know whether you would want to go here or not almost right away

  • 531 2nd Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    b/t 29th St & 30th St in Midtown East, Kips Bay
  • Transit information 4 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 725-9440
  • Business website failtenyc.com
  • 6/29/2013
    1 check-in here
    Ample, extremely comfortable seating upstairs, a banging crowd downstairs.

    Beer pong tables, 1 dollar beers on Thursdays for trivia night? Dang. What's not to like? Will be back here every week for sure.
  • 7/22/2013
    Came here late one night with friends.  It was pretty quiet for a Friday night, I thought.

    The drink I got was okay.  The pub ended up being a good place to sit and talk, since we didn't have to yell over people (since there were none....).
  • 5/15/2013
    1 check-in here
    I generally love this bar; cheap food and a quiet atmosphere (we generally frequent this place in the mid-afternoon). The past 3x we have gone we have been satisfied...until today 5/15/2013

    It was 5:30pm and there was probably 7 people in the bar. When we sat down, there was only one of the runners behind the bar and no bartender. After 5 minutes the runner went to the back and yelled for the bartender to come back to the bar. This old guy makes his slowest approach back to the bar and serves this other group that showed up a bit after we did. After he got their beer and took their money he made his way back to the other end of the bar and never even saw us. We then decided to just walk out.

    When we first walked in, we initially wanted food and drink, then just a drink, to just flat out nothing.

    I know this bar is better than this one bad experience, and I do look forward to returning (and updating my review rating) Hopefully seeing the younger bartender again rather than this old guy again that is slower than molasses.
  • 6/11/2013
    1 check-in here
    I came here for a going away party- and was surprised by:

    1. The live DJ was great! I danced up a storm (yes I was one of the two people that were randomly dancing in an Irish bar)
    2. The drinks were good (and cheap). My friend wanted a.. margarita (I know I know).. and the bartender was happy to make it. I paid for my drink and hers and had to double check that he was charging me for both because it was SO cheap
    3. There are plenty 'o places to sit

    Overall- a great time!
  • 1/24/2013
    I've only ever gone on Thursday nights, where they offer $1 beers from ~8:30 - 10:30, as well as trivia, but it's always a great time. Even better, trivia rolls right into Karaoke at around 10:30 or 11, so you can thank the bar for the dollar beers with a hearty rendition of your group's favorite Boyz II Men single.

    The beer and liquor selection is standard "Irish" pub fare, which is to say that there's about a dozen beers on tap and a decent menu.  Also an upstairs area that you can rent out for parties.
  • 5/30/2013
    Best appreciated during the winter time as they have a large warm cozy fireplace. Also a great place to host a casual party. I've attended a friend's going away where we had the back area (near the pool table) to ourselves. The bartenders are really good. it can get cramped by the bar area but still easy to get a drink
  • 9/6/2012
    1 check-in here
    This is a decent Irish pub.  I went here for a private party upstairs.  Its a small place, but it got the job done.  The bartender was great and he handled the onslaught of 50 drunkards pretty well.

    If you have a party and need a space, give them a try.
  • 12/14/2012
    Love this bar for a quiet beer and good conversation with friends. The bartenders are excellent - Andy knows us by name and always stops by our table to catch up. Sure, the inside decor is less than impressive, but it's also a welcome relief from the yuppy Murray Hill bars nearby. E beers are reasonably priced, and there's a good selection of draft and bottled beer to choose from. They also have (had?) a beer discount if you bring a movie ticket, which is great when you're seeing a movie at the kips bay theater.

    My boyfriend also threw me a surprise birthday party here last year, which was perfect for a low key birthday with close friends. There's also an upstairs area, and a pool table downstairs. At night it does get busy, but I've never had a problem getting a drink or feeling cramped. I would highly recommend checking out Failte if you're looking for a calm bar in the area.
  • 7/12/2012
    5 check-ins here
    Standard Irish pub with a second floor for performances. Upstairs, a tall dude bartender likely not hired for his mixology skills poured me a pretty sad excuse for a Guinness. For better beers, head downstairs, where you can get some decent, if unsurprising, taps--Goose Island, Blue Moon, etc.

    Crowd seemed to be stolidly yuppie from the Murray Hill/Kips Bay community. There's a pool table with darts in the back on the ground floor. You can certainly do worse in the Irish Pub category, but you can doubtlessly do better (Molly's).
  • 12/16/2010
    2 hour open bar and a pizza making class.  Of course, I would be on the planning committee for such an event.  One of my colleagues suggested Failte and it happened to be a perfect choice.

    Prior to the event, I contacted the manager to see whether my alumni organization would have the opportunity to hook up a projector to "live Tweet" the event.  He was a very agreeable guy, and although he did not have a projector on-site, he offered to have his staff help me if I encountered any issues.

    On the evening of the event, all of the logistics went without a hitch.  How often does THAT happen?  We were able to get four pizza ovens and all of our supplies upstairs prior to guests arriving.  I can't imagine there are many bars in NYC that will allow us to be cooking pizzas (one attendee whipped up a creation that had a nice "char" to it), so it was great to have management be so accommodating.

    We were also given an excellent space - we had the entire upstairs room to ourselves.  Our bartender was extremely friendly, and my goodness, did she make a strong vodka soda.
  • 11/29/2008
    Failte means "welcome" in Gaelic and you feel just that when you step into this great bar on 2nd Ave.

    It reminds me of some of the old Irish pubs in cities like Kerry and Tipperary. The Irish music playing over the speakers, exposed beam ceilings, beautiful wood furnishings and one of the best poured pints of Guinness really makes me feel at home.

    This bar offers a pool table, decent pub grub, friendly bartenders, and drink specials like happy hour  noon-6pm; $3.50 well and $3.75 premium drinks.
  • 12/17/2011
    I am NOT a fan of Murray Hill. But if I find myself forced to go out in the area again, Failte will be near the top of my list.

    This is a standard Irish pub, but it's less Americanized and fraternity-ized than most of the other "Irish" pubs in the neighborhood. It just has a more authentic feel to it. There is a pool table in the back and another bar upstairs, so there's always plenty of room to hang out with your peeps. They serve standard pub fare as well as traditional Irish dishes. I wouldn't say any of the food will blow you away, but it's never a bad thing to chow on some wings or an "Irish toastie" while swilling a cold brew.

    Google tells me that "Failte" means "welcome." I'd say that Failte is a welcome change from the standard Murray Hill spot.
  • 4/8/2013
    1 check-in here
    For the life of me I cannot prononce the name, but its a damn good time. friendly service, ok pricing
  • 8/4/2009
    This bar is seriously suffering from an identity crisis. Have you ever been in a Gaelic bar whose theme is Hawaiian? Yeah I guess there's a first for everything? Although I am pretty sure I don't want to be watching Finding Nemo when I'm drinking on a Saturday night. They have that on repeat in the background here by the way.

    The upside was the shockingly clean bathroom. My friend: "The bathroom is amazingly clean!!!!" Let me tell you, a clean bathroom is a HOT commodity in a place like NYC.
  • 12/29/2010
    Failte is an Irish pub in the very sense of the word(s).  The scotch is top-notch, the liquor selection is diverse, (honey-flavored rum? Check.) and the bartenders are quick to fill your glass.

    I took a bunch of people to Failte for the college basketball national championship due to the aforementioned glass-filling capabilities, the HD TV's, their willingness to play the game audio, and the off-the-beaten path feel to the place.  It was barely full, but all the clientele were college basketball junkies. (The best kind of clientele.)

    I've found it difficult to get a reservation for the private upstairs room (HD TV's, couches, candles, and ability to play your iPod), but it's for a good reason:  They seem to give preferential treatment to their regulars when they book a party.  I tried to book something a few months in advance and someone already got to them.  As frustrating as it was, I like that there's an underground following for this often-missed private party space on 2nd ave.

    Overall: 4 stars
    Service: 3 stars (not great, not awful, just right.)
  • 10/13/2010
    I live a few steps away from this bar which I never got a chance to frequent until recently...and what a delight it is to find that it is not some dark stanky old Irish bar but actually a pretty lively place with a few flat screen TVs facing patrons at the bar and a cool room in the back with a swanky pool table and a jukebox. The wooden stools and chairs give an old school feel and even though the place is small-ish I have a feeling it can feel quite a number of people, especially with its little nooks and crannies. I would definitely come back with friends on a casual weeknight.

    The bartender is super cute! A bonus.
  • 4/3/2013
    1 check-in here
    Dropped in for a quick drink to escape the rain whilst walking back from to our hotel.
    Seemed like a standard pub and the service was quick and efficient. Not much atmosphere but could not really expect anything at 2pm on an Easter Sunday!

    My wife unexpectedly got a top up on her lemonade without asking for one - however I don't think this was added to the bill so we didn't have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered