Translation from English

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jan 12 2013- Part of My Family History- Correction

In writing about my father's family, someone asked me why it said there was no record of my father coming to the United States ( well of course my father was BORN in the United States-- I meant my grandfather, I have no idea how old he was when he came to this country, I believe he came here in the 1880's as a small boy with his family probably from Warsaw but nobody knows for sure....as I said I have a cousin who is about 80 now who may know more but it seems to me he knows more about my father's sister's recollections which I feel focused more on her mother ( the Schoen's ) side of the story, and that leads back to Posen not to Warsaw.

All I know for sure now is that my sister says her grandmother told her as a little girl that my grandfather came from "Russian Poland" and that when I really grilled my father about it later in his life, he said something like " I don't know, really, I think around Warsaw." It DOES seem weird these days that these people had so little interest in "roots" but it was typical of my father in that besides his sister, he was not really very interested in any of his  cousins except one,  named Philip Kielawa, who was from his father's side and who was an architect in Dayton Ohio when I met him and whose family was yet another one which claimed aristocratic origins, these Polish in origin).( Or , as my grandfather would say with a chuckle, " More counts of no account").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered