Translation from English

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Per Se Restaurant- Columbus Circle

Another one of NY's top restaurants according to Zagat etc.

I left in ( the very last review here) one sour apple in what was otherwise a lot of excellent reviews

  • 10 Columbus Cir
    New York, NY 10019
    b/t W Central Park & Broadway in Hell's Kitchen, Midtown West
  • Transit information 1 2 A B C D N Q R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 823-9335
  • Business website perseny.com
  • 11/26/2013
    1 check-in here
    It took two years to secure a reservation (full disclosure: I live in LA so it's not like I was calling every single day, there have only been three or four brief windows of time when I even had the opportunity to dine here), but I finally made it to Per Se this week. I'll just say this ranks among the best meals I've ever had, if not the best yet. I could compare it to other top-rated restaurants, but that'd be boring. I'll just say that  the food was of the highest quality, and when combined with the service and the ambiance Per Se really distanced itself from the rest of the pack. Sometimes at fine dining establishments I feel like I am under a microscope while eating. Servers and hosts always keep a keen eye on patrons, to the point where it can be uncomfortable. Too much intuitiveness (read: constant fawning, OCD-like attention to minute detail) can be a bad thing. Explanations about dishes can come off a bit condescending. At Per Se I felt loose and relaxed. Service was -- dare I say -- casual. There was a sense of simplicity, of timeliness, and of friendliness that I haven't experienced at other top tier restaurants. The three hour meal last night felt like breeze. At one point I even wondered if service was moving too fast. DURING A THREE HOUR MEAL! It was comfortable, easy, and fun. In my mind, that (paired with the kitchen's technical brilliance) is what elevated Per Se above any other meal I've had.

    That said, the 8-course menu (there is also a vegetarian option) has a set price of $295 per person, with gratuity included. After we were seated we were given an iPad which contained the drink menu. Our server joked with us about a lack of tuna sandwich on the menu. There was a convivial vibe right off the bat. Servers appeared out of nowhere to add/remove/refill plates, silverware, drinks, bread, etc. There was a sense that they were dictating the pace but not in any way that was noticeable while we were there. We enjoyed our conversation, we enjoyed the view, we enjoyed the decor, and without any distraction, pretensions, or grand showings of attention, we were served.

    I don't want to try to review individual dishes because the menu tends to change every few days. Of the eight courses, I'm pretty sure only the first course (pearls and oysters) is consistent from day to day. Last night (as well as on several other menus I've seen) there were usually four protein courses, a cheese course, and a dessert course. The other two courses could vary from night to night. The two fish courses, the fowl, and the lamb were cooked to perfection. The surrounding elements expertly highlighted the main ingredients while providing nuanced flavors and textures. The presentation was typically gorgeous. I don't know...what more can I say? Five stars.
  • 11/29/2013
    upon dining at Per Se, i've now eaten at all of Thomas Keller's restaurants! self high-fives over here!

    ate at the Salon because i couldn't get a reservation for the dining room. this means ordering a la carte from the tasting menu, which is fine by me. a friend and i went early and were seated at the best spot in the Salon which is a couch facing outward into Time Warner Centre. the service was good, but i suspect not as flawless as i would expect service in the dining room might be. still, we were given two amuse bouche and a whole basket of breads (excessive but i'm not complaining), as well as a tray of sweets at the end of our meal. my friend and i went the route of a three course meal and traded plates so that we could try most of the menu offered. everything was cooked just right and plated nicely, of course. everything lived up to my expectations having dined at all spectrums of TK restaurants (French Laundry, Bouchon and Ad Hoc).
  • 11/25/2013
    1 check-in here
    What an amazing meal!  This was my second time at Per Se and I enjoyed it 100x more than first thanks to my best friend Y who treated me to a very special lunch topped off with a menu printed with my name!

    We had the 7 course tasting and it was an overwhelming amount of food (in a good way!)  We started with the amuse bouche which were gruyere cheese balls that melted in my mouth and the infamous Salmon cones.

    I'm not normally an adventurous eater but given that this was Per Se, I knew I was in good hands and I was willing to try anything.

    We started with the Oysters and Pearls which had this amazing buttery sauce that I wanted to scoop up by the spoonful.

    The next course was the salad of charred fuyu persimmons which was light but flavorful.

    I had the Sea Trout and the Lobster - both were amazing.

    The meat course of the day was Lamb which I'm not a huge fan of so I asked them to replace it with beef.  When I asked the adorable waiter how it was prepared, he said skillfully - and he was absolutely right. The off menu dish was bursting with flavor.

    By the time dessert came, we were stuffed but everything we tasted was delicious. We even took the "candies" home

    It was a truly memorable meal in a beautiful setting with amazing views and top notch service.
  • 11/28/2013
    Went for dinner with my girl friends on Saturday evening.   Perfect experience.  Great ambience.  Nice crowd.  Exceptional service.  And yes food was superb. Menu has lots of choices for vegetarians.
    Would go back again
  • 11/24/2013 Updated review
    Listed in Fancy Schmancy
    This is a 3.5 stars in my opinion!

    A group of us had dinner at Per Se recently and we tried both the Chef's Tasting Menu and the Tasting of Vegetables menu. As you may have read, I came here about a year ago and had the dessert pre fixe in their salon. So this time we were excited to have dinner at Per Se.

    The punchline is that we were unanimous in our assessment that the food, though a unique experience with many highlights, was underwhelming when compared to similar restaurants and menus in town, such as Bouley, Daniel's, Eleven Madison, or Jean Georges. The service was OK/good - our head server was very fun and attentive. We were not fans of some of the other servers.

    We got some complimentary items at the start including cheese balls and salmon tartare which were very nice! The oysters and pearls course was amazing. The desserts were nice! However, the remaining courses - fish, chicken, and lamb were just OK. We are foodies and while I certainly recommend Per Se as a great restaurant which offers a nice c experience, I think the food overall was not phenomenal and menus at comparable restaurants are much better suited to foodies!

    Personally, I recommend Per Se for the dessert pre fixe only!
    11/4/2012 Previous review
    This is a review of the dessert pre fixe in their Salon.

    It is fabulous. Highly recommended. Good…
    Read more
  • 11/11/2013
    Without a shadow of a doubt, this was a once in a lifetime experience! I came here a month ago to celebrate a 1 month occasions. It might sound crazy to come here for just a date (and not with someone like a wife or long-term girlfriend), but it was somewhere we both really wanted to experience since we both never been. I don't think anyone can quite explain the experience, but I will try to do my best!

    I enjoy foodie restaurants as does my other half, so this was the perfect place to go after having eaten at multiple other places and not necessarily being in a huge rush to repeat the dinner. I had previously thought Eleven Madison Park was the best meal of my life a week before that, but that quickly changed by about the third course at Per Se.

    The service trumps any restaurant I've ever been to. The customer service here was absolutely spectacular! It was everything I thought it would be, but still you can never prepare for it until you are actually here. When you need your water filled, they are there! If you need a photo taken, they are there! If you need items on the menu detailed out, they will give you 2 paragraphs full of information! Everything about the waiters/waitresses was just perfect.

    Now onto the food! Food is just indescribable. The amuse bouche and all the desserts at the end were one of a kind. Each little piece was so memorable. Oh and the bread that they offer between each course! The pretzel baguette was my absolute favorite with the butter. The scallops were amazing. The cod was amazing. The oysters, caviar and tapioca pearls were every bit of what I heard and read about. HOWEVER, the lamb was out of this world! It was seared to perfection with the parsnip and huckleberries. By dessert, we were stuffed, but we couldn't resist the chocolates, macarons, truffles and nougat. We didn't get a chance to finish all of the dessert, so guess what? We took it back and finished it at their home later that night! Best 12am desserts I had ever eaten in front of the TV!

    Despite the fact there is so much hype surrounding Per Se, I was completely in awe of every dish, every part of the service and decor of the restaurant, including the spectacular view. The personalized menus were really cool and a nice touch. The purse stool was a bit odd and we laughed about it all night, but my date used it to her advantage. After all, this is one of the most expensive restaurants in NYC, you'd think they'd have every corner covered. Overall, the experience was truly magical, especially when you bring someone fun with you (whether a friend, date, girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse). This is definitely not a restaurant you bring anyone to, so make sure you make it worth your while because it will be memorable. For the price tag, as weird as it sounds, it was WORTH EVERY LAST PENNY! I wouldn't trade the experience for any other restaurant experience I ever had!
    • 130 friends
    • 272 reviews
    11/11/2013
    1 check-in here
    Thomas Keller's French Laundry has been on my list for awhile, and, being a Californian originally, I always figured that I'd end up there first. But that didn't happen; Napa was out of the way, and Per Se, being right in a major city, is so much more accessible.

    So when my cousin told me she was coming to NY to run the marathon, and that she wanted to eat at Per Se afterwards, I gave out a nice mental hooray. While the last minute nature of our plans (last minute relative to Per Se standards anyway) precluded us from actually getting reservations in the main dining area, we were able to secure service at the lounge, which allows patrons without reservations to walk-in and order limited segments of the full tasting menu a la carte.

    To skip to the conclusion, I found the food to be really delicious, but as I ate from my two dishes, I had a flashback of satirical comedy sketches lampooning high-end restaurants and their abysmally tiny dishes. Per Se's salon menu is the epitome of that. $35-40 plates that each give you about a 4" diameter circle of food, served on beautiful 12" plates. It's 5 star taste with a 3 star value, at least when ordering a la carte.

    I suppose one can argue one shouldn't care about value when coming to a place like this, but unless you're a 1%er, I'm not sure I agree, especially when places like Atera have much better value. I suspect the menu wasn't really designed to be a la carte, and being stripped down, it flirts a bit closely with absurdity. Unless you eat like a rabbit, or "pre-game" with food from another establishment, you will be hungry after your meal here, unless you order at least three to four plates for yourself. I had a late brunch, so I was ok, but with two plates and two whiskies, $140 seemed a bit much for not a lot. It's like sticking with just the tip; at that point, why stop? So I figure, next time, it'd be better to just go all in and get the tasting menu, and stack on all the delicious options, like the tsar imperial caviar, if possible.

    So that's my plan for next time: Secure a spot for the actual dining room and taste the menu as it was meant to be. Or the total opposite: Zip on by with a buddy, grab one mind blowing dish, and zip on down to the nearest pizza joint and fill 'er up on more plebeian fare.

    Speaking of whiskies, they have a very nice selection, and it's all selectable via their iPad drink list. Very cool.

    As for the food itself, we were a bit cautious about ordering the sauternes poached foie gras, just because we didn't want something too heavy or oily, but it was amazing. Served as a pate, it was easily the best foie gras I've had in a long time. Definitely worth the $40. I also had the butter poached lobster, served with a potato blini (but I could swear there was lobster in it). Very delicious.
  • 11/5/2013
    1 check-in here
    My husband and I happened to have a few days off together (a rarity at this time of year), so we decided a last minute trip to New York City was in store. I've had a total crush on Thomas Keller since sampling my first pastry at Bouchon Bakery earlier this year, so Per Se was high on my list of "must visits" in NYC. I attempted to secure a reservation using American Express concierge a couple of days before leaving Houston, and I was told I'd be added to their infamous waiting list, and it would take nothing short of a miracle to get me a table. Per Se basically has a 72 hour cancellation policy and you're charged a hefty sum if you cancel within this time period, so there are hardly ever any cancellations. Lo and behold, I ended up getting a table for the evening before our departure - a perfect end to our visit.

    So here's what you need to know: the chef's tasting menu consists of 9 courses at $295 per person, including service and non-alcoholic beverages. There is a vegetarian tasting menu and a seasonal menu too (it was "fall game" during my visit). The chef's tasting menu changes completely daily with the exception of the signature items, like the first course of "Oysters and Pearls". Come hungry to fully appreciate your dining experience from start to finish.

    I chose the ossetra caviar instead of the oysters and pearls. It was divine, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $75 supplementary charge. Each of the following courses were executed with extreme finesse, and artfully plated. Scottish sea trout. Poached Nova Scotia lobster. Duck breast. Lamb. Each course literally delighted me more than the last. I quite enjoyed the sweets at the end of our meal, including the signature French Laundry doughnuts and coffee, the beautiful handmade artisan chocolates, and the tower of chocolate truffles, macarons, caramel and nougat.

    At the end of the night, we were graciously offered a tour of the kitchen. It was almost 1am, and everyone was still hard at work. The live camera feed of the French Laundry kitchen was definitely a sight to behold - two amazing restaurants on opposite ends of the US, working in unison.

    I died a little inside as I departed Per Se, because I know it will be a long time before I'm able to experience anything like this again. The food, service, and spectacular views of Columbus Circle are unmatched, and exactly what I expected from a restaurant of this caliber.
  • 11/20/2013
    The experience is definitely one of a kind ... I mean, any place were for a 9pm reservation you end up rolling (almost literally) yourself out at almost 2am has got to be memorable ...

    The Highlights: the first course of oysters and cavier (divine seems an understatement) and the seemingly never-ending dessert parade (tempting enough even at way WAY past midnight, and so tasty too!).

    The other courses we had ranged from good to great, but nothing that really left me feeling WOW like the aforementioned highlights.

    Service was wonderful as can be expected (though slow, but that may just be part of the experience).  They were very good about accommodating for my "dietary restrictions" (i.e. things I don't like to eat), though I did end up with a dish with goat cheese, which I couldn't eat (but not their fault as I only mentioned I didn't eat lamb - should've tied in goat products too ...).

    Overall, I would give it a solid 4.5.
  • 12/2/2013
    This is a late late review but I ate here last year. Amazing. Though it was a year ago, it felt like yesterday. My mouth waters when I think of it. It was one of the best meals I've ever I had.  Absolutely fabulous. All I can say is I can die now.
  • 10/21/2013
    My friends and I are food lovers from way back. When we were in college, we would go out for one "fancy" dinner every month, experiencing a different type of cuisine each time. That was where (and when) I really learn to experiment and enjoy food from other cultures. My mom used to tell me that I ate better than she did, and she had a real job.

    When we decided to converge upon New York City, we knew that we had to continue the trend of having one really high-end meal. We wanted to go big, and to many, there is no bigger than Thomas Keller's 3-star Michelin eatery, Per Se. Thomas Keller was the first American to simultaneously have two, 3-star Michelin properties in the United States.

    Per Se is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. With a chef's tasting menu that includes nine official courses (and plenty of extras), you better go there on an empty stomach or risk missing out on some of the thoughtfully-prepared cuisine.

    Per Se also offers a tasting of vegetables for non-meat eaters, and some of the items on the list looked so creative, I wanted to try a couple. It was no problem for me to sub in some of the dishes from the vegetarian menu into my tasting.

    A couple of the courses have supplement options like Wagyu beef, foie gras or Imperial caviar, but with the standard tasting clocking in at a hefty $295 (gratuity included) before beverages, you can enjoy everything Per Se has to offer without any of the add-ons.

    With Per Se consistently being named one of the top restaurants in the world (not to mention the three Michelin stars and the $300 price tag) my expecations were sky high. I was not disappointed in the least. Every dish was expertly prepared with combinations of flavors that I would never dream of, and just enough whimsy to prevent it from being stuffy or pretentious.

    Service was impeccable with plates being distributed around the table and the exact same time. Our wine and water glasses were never empty, and while it was obvious that we were not typical Per Se clientele, we were treated just as well as every other patron.The progression of the meal was also fantastic. I'm only covering the highlights, but just imagine twice as much food, and then you'll have an idea of the amount we actually consumed.

    I'm not much of an oyster fan, but I can't think of a better way to start off any meal than the signature "Oysters and Pearls" dish. The creaminess of the tapioca and the brininess of the oysters were a perfect compliment (and if you know me personally, I know that previous statement may surprise you). Other standouts were the saffron braised white asparagus salad, some luxurious pork belly and of course, dessert. The toasted popcorn and chocolate was rich and decadent, and while it was the last course listed on the menu, the surprises had only just begun.

    Our waiter brought out a stacked tray of macarons and taffy. We made our selections, thinking that it was a great way to round out the meal. But we wrong. Then our waiter presented us with an ornate box with 20+ chocolates, each a different flavor. So we each picked a couple and tried to find some room for all of the sweet treats.

    The true final, final course was a Per Se staple, their version of coffee and doughnuts -  a delicate, lightly fried, ball of cinnamon brioche served with cappucino semifreddo. It was probably my absolute most favorite thing I ate all night. I just wish I wasn't so full so I could have really enjoy it. (It didn't stop me from eating the whole darn thing.)

    The highlight of the evening was being invited to meet the chef in the kitchen. Since it was 1 a.m., there wasn't much cooking going on, but it was great to see the space and understand how such great food is prepared night after night. There's also a live feed set up to show the kitchen at Keller's flagship restaurant The French Laundry in Napa. This system allows both kitchens to keep an eye on each other and make sure that things are running smoothly. The chefs at the French Laundry even took time out of their preparations to give us a friendly wave.

    Per Se was an amazing experience (that took a little over 4.5 hours from start to finish), and it was worth every, single penny. I may not ever get back there again, but I'll definitely always remember waddling outside, my stomach full of some of NYC's finest cuisine,
  • 11/23/2013
    I wish I could give Per Se six stars.

    Literally just came home from our unbelievable four hour lunch. I'm not a food snob, a culinary expert or a trained chef but I have eaten, traveled and tried many foods in many cities around the world and Per Se is hands down the most impressive culinary experience I've ever had.

    My husband and I came here during our honeymoon (as the finale to a string of famous NYC restaurants all week long) and were blown away by the impeccable care and service we were shown as well as the attention to detail. They knew we were celebrating our honeymoon and so printed custom menus for us with congratulations and sat us in the salon with large flutes of welcome champagne while our table was being prepared.

    Our waiter Kevin was hands down the most attentive and knowledgable waiter I've ever met. Not only did he carefully explain each dish placed before us, indicate how it was best eaten, but also gave us the background stories as to where the ingredients came from and why they were chosen for that particular dish.

    Id also like to point out that my husband is lactose intolerant. Instead of eliminating dairy based ingredients from the dish completely, as most restaurants are wont to do, Per Se crafted entirely new dishes with custom dairy free ingredients for him for each presentation! I couldn't believe how far out I their way they want to make him feel like he wasn't missing out. It was exceptional.

    Aside from the amazing flavors of each dish (butter poached oysters, hand churned butter, braised lamb shanks, lobster raviolis with squid ink pasta...to name a few) everyone employed here practices a strict presentation ritual, including new silverware, plates and glasses for each course. It may seem excessive (and maybe it is) but the attention to detail really brings you back to a time when luxury like this wasn't so rare. We truly felt like royalty.

    After the four hour lunch and amazing desserts which included us selecting our own personal chocolates from a custom box, Kevin invited us to tour the kitchen and see the chefs in action. If you're into food in any way this was pretty much like winning the golden ticket. It was magical.

    Did I mention they wrapped up our dessert for us to go in case we were "peckish"? Yep, in tiny white boxes with big brown bows and silver tins full of shortbread cookies.

    I wish I had the money to go here every weekend. If you have the means, go. Yes it's pricey but it was truly worth every penny. It was one of those experiences I'll never forget. Thanks for everything Per Se!!!!
  • 10/14/2013
    1 check-in here
    Duh. You already know.

    What don't you know?

    How to get a good reservation: phone lines open at 10am. Set a cell alarm for 9:59... obsessively watch the clock till 10:00. WAIT a few seconds. If you call right at 10, you'll still get their automated no-yet-opened message. 2, 3, 4 dial. PUSH 0. Skip the bullshit robot spiel and get to waiting on hold...you'll be here up to 20 minutes even if you've played this flawlessly; however, if you have, you'll be able to make a reservation exactly 30 days in advance for a decent hour (aim for sunset...the restaurant faces out over Central Park).

    How to surprise your date: call ahead and pre-order a bottle of wine from their extensive, extensive list. You can pre-order anything on a separate card and close out the bill before you even arrive. Bottles range between ~85 and literally thousands of dollars. You can BYOB, too, for a wild $90 corking fee.

    How to use the restroom: Make any motion. Any. The unbelievably attentive staff will notice and run to you, then insist on walking you to restrooms so you don't get lost (slash Instagram everything on the way there?).

    How to enjoy carbs: There is a delicious bread spread that makes rounds between courses. Enjoy the different rolls and exclusive butters (pretzel+sweet cream was my personal favorite), but be careful not to get full before your fourth meat dish arrives. That being said, you can take as many as you'd like, so give Atkins the bird and try one of each.

    How to do sweets: There are several courses of dessert including a grandiose offering of chocolates and candies; choose a few for your plate and politely ask to have the rest wrapped. They're yours.

    Aside from my only qualm - the somewhat sleepy ambiance that lacked music and a certain energy, this was perhaps the best meal of my life. The food was brilliantly thought out, perfectly prepared and served by an impeccable staff. It is of course very expensive, but if you'd like to enjoy food on a new level, I highly recommend trying this indulgent meal once.
  • 10/14/2013
    1 check-in here
    Amazing, amazing, amazing.  3 Michelin stars well-deserved.  If you're in New York, and you truly want a memorable meal, this is the place to go to.  This is how it ranks amongst the other renowned restaurants in the city: Per Se (greater than or equal to) Le Bernardin, which is significantly better than Bouley, which outshines the following by many, many moons: Jean Georges, Marea, Blue Hill.  Bottom line, it comes down to Per Se and Le Bernardin.  Don't bother anywhere else.

    This gorgeous restaurant overlooks Columbus Circle and each table is positioned with an amazing view.  The servers are all genuine, personable, and extremely accommodating.  There are already far too many reviews on how amazing the food is; so, you don't need another one from me.  Also, there aren't that many decisions you need to make as it is a prix fixe menu and most courses are already chosen for you by default.

    What really stood out to me was the generosity and quality when it came to the dessert courses.  Yes, plural, dessertS.  I am not one to ever refuse dessert, but it came to a point after 3 or 4 courses of desserts, I really couldn't stomach the macarons and chocolates offered in the end.  Yes I know, a rare case indeed.  And of course, this restaurant is known for going above and beyond; thus, they offered to let me take back as many chocolates and macarons as my heart desired.  And these weren't just any chocolates, there were approximately 20-30 types of in-house chocolates which were all unique and delicious.  And the server said, I could take all of it if I wanted...! =)

    Also note, gratuity is included in the prix fixe price; however, being how amazing your experience will be, you will surely want to tip just a tad bit more.  And don't forget to book reservations a month in advance!
  • 10/7/2013
    So, it's been a few months, but I think it's finally time to write the Per Se review.

    First a bit of background:  I love going to restaurants and enjoy reading reviews.  So, when Sam Sifton proclaimed Per Se as the best restaurant in the city, I knew I had to go.  Someday.  Fast forward almost a year and I got a call out of the blue from a friend who excitedly explained that he had won dinner for two to Per Se.  Imagine?  Well, he said he'd never go so he offered it to me since he figured I'd enjoy it.  You know I would!  It's in the mail, he said.

    A few months later, I asked about it.  "Oh, I totally forgot!  It'll be in the mail tomorrow, for sure."  Long story short, it never showed up, but that experience and the resulting great expectations ensured that we had to get there at some point.

    After reaching a few milestones, it was time to make a reservation.  I called one day in the afternoon and was told we could get a spot the following Wednesday at 9 or something.  That wouldn't work, so I planned for the 10 a.m. call for reservations the following month.  I got through shortly after 10 and the woman was extremely helpful and friendly.  No attitude at all.

    That call pretty much set the tone for our visit to Thomas Keller's temple to food at the Time Warner Center.  Everyone was extremely professional without being pretentious, thankfully!  I had told the reservationist that we were celebrating a special event and that was noted on our arrival with "Congratulations" printed on the menu.  Very classy!

    I could talk about the food, but there are hundreds of reviews that dissect every morsel, so I'll just say it's exceptional.  You will not be disappointed.  With that said, I'd like to talk a bit more about the experience itself.  With the perspective of time and a few other top-notch restaurants under my belt, I can say that you go to Per Se for the experience.  It's not just to check another foodie box (even though you will), but to enjoy an experience where there is such an attention to detail and quality service.

    At one point, butter was served to accompany the bread on the table.  Our waiter explained they only get butter from two sources, a farm in Vermont and another in California.  The farmer in California said she could not keep up with the demand from Per Se and the French Laundry with only six cows.  Keller's response?  "We'll get you another cow!"  Only at Per Se.

    The explanations of ingredients were interesting without being dizzying.  "And here are three types of salt.  The first comes from...."  The ingredients are combined to create consistently good courses.  They may not be as out-there/creative as, say, a WD50, but they were all outstanding.

    So what else makes this such a great experience?  Well, for one thing you certainly don't feel rushed and the dining room is definitely not jammed full with diners on top of each other as is often the case in New York.  One top of the many courses you receive, there are several amuse bouche brought to the table.  And after all the courses comes dessert.  I think there were amuse dessert first, if that's a thing.  And then dessert.  And a tray of cookies.  And a box of chocolate.  Cookies and chocolates were boxed and bagged and waiting at the host stand on the way out.  Again, very classy.  Those tiny little tins sit on our shelves, take-home trophies: We've been to Per Se!

    A note about why it took so long to write this review:  At first I wondered about the money spent for a single evening out.  It's totally true that it is expensive and I'll note below how you can save a bit. As others note, you could go to several dinners for the same price.  All of this is true, but after going to other places, I realized it was worth it.  It's like a foodie's Mount Everest, you have to get to the top once.  And now we have a benchmark to compare other places to.  On that note, Per Se definitely holds its own against some of the other big names elsewhere.  So, if you've been thinking about it, I'd say go for it.  Plan for that reservation call and then enjoy a night you won't forget.

    As for saving a bit of money (and maybe some awkwardness along the way).  Unlike some other places with tasting menus, there is no set wine pairing option.  Instead the sommelier comes to the table to make suggestions based on what you like.  That's great and I liked the idea of him coming up with options based on what we told him we liked.  The awkward part is talking prices and instead of being in the top restaurant in New York, you almost feel like you're in a used car lot.  "Well, you tell me what you would like to spend." "Umm, well...." "How about $300?" "Per person?" "Yes, lower??"  Finally, we got to a happier place, but you can see how that could be awkward.  So, plan ahead on this note, get a bottle or a few glasses.

    All of this is a long way of saying that if you're a foodie and dining out is important to you, go to Per Se and enjoy every second of it!!
  • 11/23/2013
    Every dish a work of art to please all the senses! I've dined there three times, never disappointed. Only regret, I wish the waitstaff would smile; they are all too somber.
  • 11/10/2013
    Nothing special really guys! --chose the 7 course with the hubby and nearly 4 hours later the only thing that was remotely reminiscent-worthy was the foie gras... should've given the $500 to children's international, could've fed a village for weeks rather than this paunch. Nice free jackets they loan u tho...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered