Translation from English

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fratelli Pizza- Upper East Side

Another neighborhood place

Usual mix of people who really like it and the sour apples... You know, for some the pizza here is just great, others claim it is awful--comes out as an average-sounding place to me

Gluten free alternatives here

  • 1317 1st Ave
    New York, NY 10021
    b/t 70th St & 71st St in Upper East Side
  • Transit information 4 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 249-6092
  • 8/11/2013
    1 check-in here
    Light thin crust pizza. Fresh mozzarella and basil. Fresh flatbread and tomato aioli spread was delicious.
    Very friendly staff. They even went  to diner next door to get soup.

    Can get a little noisy as it appears to be popular with neighborhood families
  • 11/8/2013
    I feel like this is one of those places without a home.  Do they have good pizza, yes.  Good service, yes.  But do you know what to expect, no.  Most pizza places you can categorize in as American pizza or Italian pizza, this place has real no identity.  Some may like that, but I would rather have a place pick an idea and stick with it.  I ordered their Margarita pizza and it was just cheese and sauce on a classic NY crust, no basil or other spice.

    Overall I feel this place is OK, but with so many other places for pizza, at least for now I will not be back.  Maybe they have other options people could recommend, but we will see
  • 7/20/2013
    The fabulous oversized chandeliers are the most distinctive thing about this casual neighborhood Italian.

    We didn't try the pizza, but one salad and one pasta entree were enough for two of us, so I would say that prices are moderate if your'e the sharing kind. Both dishes were tasty if unoriginal.

    Service was pretty noncommittal, but you don't come here to be coddled.
  • 10/4/2013
    Pizza is good but service is very poor. If you come too close to opening time, they're not ready. If you come during rush hour you have to wait 40 minutes for a pizza. Don't expect all the wines on the list to be available.
  • 5/24/2013
    A friendly neighborhood Italian place.

    Food:
    We had a couple of appetizers and wine and that was it for us. The entrees was so big I took some home with me.
    - Crab cakes - Delicious!
    - Shrimp with arugula - Same as above!
    Wine selection was also as expected for an Italian place.

    Service:
    Appreciated the fact that they did not rush us into ordering too much too fast or rushed us into leaving.

    Ambiance:
    Spacious and nice. Accommodates large and small gatherings.
    • G S.
    • Alexandria, VA
    • 0 friends
    • 10 reviews
    11/5/2013
    1 check-in here
    This place is absolutely amazing in all respects. The salads are fresh and right sized.  Brick oven pizza is the best we have since Rome and the Risotto dishes are perfect. You can not go wrong with any pasta.  I particularly like the Penne. If you save room for desert enjoy them all as we have.  All this plus attentive and friendly service makes Fratelli's a must visit and we keep coming back!
  • 6/12/2013
    Hands down *the* best service I've gotten at a restaurant. Family-owned, so the staff is wonderful, and the patrons here look like regulars.

    I brought my in-laws here for pizza and all of us loved the pesto and margherita brick oven pizza. The sun dried tomato dip with bread basket was divine. I could have eaten only that and left happy. I had no room in my stomach to eat the complimentary biscotti at the end of our meal, so a very awesome young gentleman packed it in a doggy bag for me (and put extras too!) Would definitely come back to this place.
  • 9/22/2012
    3 check-ins here
    It's all about the complimentary sun dried tomato dip with basket of foccaccia bread strips - that dip is killer!

    This place has been up in our part of town for for quite some time but we had never eaten here until last night. To say it was a pleasant surprise is not really enough as we had a very satisfying little meal here. Fratelli's has a nice decor and ambiance as it's a super casual spot for brick oven pizza and assorted Italian staples, while at the same time offers up some fun gaudiness with crystal chandeliers and lighting handing from the tin ceiling. Heck, even the bathrooms are all fancy. Still, this is a pizza joint with a laid back atmosphere that is a solid place for the locals or to even bring a date for a no-pressure meal.

    Now, back to that sun dried tomato dipping sauce. I actually picked up the small bowl and scooped every last bit out with my bread. It's addicting! I even licked it dry as I have no shame. I think they put crack in it as a secret ingredient. The bread basket is an assortment of flat bread and focaccia strips. Again, crack.

    We feasted on a 12 inch margherita pizza ($13.95) and a bowl of penne pasta with bolognese sauce ($19.95). Prices seem to be in the moderate range here but the quality is worth the cost. The thin crust pizza was pretty good with a nice char on the bottom, while the penne with a veal & beef ragu was delicious. Cooked al-dente and just right with a generous portion. I like that they even place small bowls full of hot pepper and oregano on the table to sprinkle on your food. Our water glasses were constantly filled and we were checked on more than a few times to see if we were enjoying our meal.

    The even have half price on all bottles of wine after 9pm, and make their own house sangria. This place is not just a pizza joint and is actually a terrific local restaurant with great service. The staff is very attentive, professional, and friendly. They even gave us a plate with a few free pieces of biscotti as dessert to snack on. It was a really nice meal here for a Friday night when we had no plans and were just looking to keep it low key.

    I went to bed last night dreaming about that sun dried tomato crack dip........
  • 8/21/2012
    This place is terrible. I am sorry, I really wanted to like this place, but the pizza was awful.

    What kind of brick oven pizzeria is this?

    The waiter was very disinterested and couldn't give two hoots in helping customers. That is a bad omen. The complimentary bread with olive oil may have been the only redeeming thing about this place.

    We ordered a pizza (no cheese) topped with mushrooms, peppers, and artichokes. I was anticipating decency. Alas, don't have expectations. The pizza crust was very dry and the artichokes overcooked. See, if there isn't cheese, it probably should be cooked with less time. No one bothered to send that memo to the chef. In any case, we ended up with a very very dry pizza and a very very dissatisfied ME.

    Oh well, what can you do? At least now I know to NEVER come back here. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, puke my guts out.
  • 2/26/2013
    The service at this restaurant is some of the BEST I have seen in NYC. The waiters were attentive, but I genuinely think that they have a rule that no one's water glass is to dip below the 2/3 full line. Whenever I took a few sips, like ninjas the staff would come by and refill the water glass without being in any way disruptive. Amazing.

    The sun dried tomato dip that you get with the bread is pretty tasty, but otherwise there isn't anything overly special about the menu. The brick oven margherita pizza was tasty enough, but I had a bite of the eggplant parm and it wasn't my favorite.

    The ambiance and decor is pretty casual, and there wasn't a wait. Prices aren't insane, pretty standard for the UES -- one individual pizza and the eggplant ran us about $37 before tip.

    That said, I wish the food was a little better (nothing wrong per se, just mediocre), but it won't stop me from going back.
  • 8/5/2012
    1 check-in here
    Gluten free options with pizza and pasta but light on the taste.

    Food was well priced and portions large.
    I went with the Veal Parmesan with spagetti (special) that was ok at best.
    My guest dined on the Gluten Free Pizza with goat cheese sausage. The large chunks of tomato are great but the crust was bland.

    While I'm glad to know they offer an alternative ingredient menu, the food could be more rich. Italian food is bold but Fratelli is weak.
  • 3/11/2012
    1 check-in here
    really liked the sun dried tomatoes dip for the bread, so yummy
    I felt like I could just pour that whole thing over the pizza, or just eat that as a meal

    The pizza here is fresh and thin crust and good

    didn't try any other stuff, and the staffs pretty friendly

    will be back again for some of that sun dried tomato dip!
  • 1/7/2012
    You know how you never notice things right in front of your face?  I've lived across the street from Fratelli for a year and a half and never even thought about going in.  Due to a leg injury, I couldnt travel far and a lightbulb went off to try it finally.

    The ambiance is intimate and family friendly at the same time.  It just works.

    Staff is friendly and attentive. If it's not run by a family, it sure seemed like it.

    WOW food!  Sundried tomato dip for the breads.  All the dishes I saw coming out were generous portions and everything looked fresh, colorful and I wanted to taste it all.  The menu is filled with classic Italian dishes and tasted like someones awesome grandmother made it.  Seriously, it was that good.  Had the Chicken Piccata in case you were wondering.

    The only reason it's not 5 stars is because I couldn't give 4.5.  The prices were a bit much for appetizers.

    Otherwise, perfecto!
  • 5/16/2013
    Nice spot right in my neighborhood for a casual Italian dinner that is priced right. Great pasta dishes and great staff.

    The reason for the 3 stars is because my last visit really left a bad taste in my mouth about this place: I ordered a gluten-free pizza for my girlfriend and it was the size of a personal pizza and it was $17.50! Get outta here what a rip off! Don't punish customers who have to eat gluten free. Fix this problem and I'll be back
  • 11/5/2011
    1 check-in here
    Hello NYC!!! If you  haven't visited Fratelli's you are definitely missing great food and great people.

    The Brick Oven Pizza  is the best ever.
    The White Chocolate Polenta Cake is magnificent !!!

    But I will tell you the best part. Gavin the manager and the two brother's Mark and John. They all make you feel at home. Just like family.
    So not only does the food make you feel good the atmosphere and service make you feel good too.

    It is hard to find a warm friendly atmosphere to help you cope with the day, but add great food and good prices and you are eating in Paradise!

    You can't miss. I'm sure you'll find this to be your very own neighborhood gem.
  • 2/14/2010
    I was pretty unimpressed with this place.  Highly doubtful I'll be back.

    It's not that they didn't try - the service was ok, but misguided.  I appreciate a waiter asking me how the meal is, but asking every time he walks by is a bit much.

    The food was incredibly mediocre - my noodles were half cooked...to say that they were "al dente" would be an overstatement.  They were nearly crunchy and tasted stale.  The food arrived very quickly after ordering; given the quality of the food, as well as the speed in which it arrived, I'm relatively confident in guessing that my meal was not prepared fresh.

    I'll be fair - it was a very busy night for them, since it was Valentine's Day.  However, I found it offensive when they gave us the check while our food was still on the table.

    I understand that when a restaurant has a busy day that they're under a lot of pressure to turn tables over.  But when the quality of the food & service suffers, I'm out.  I could have prepared a better meal for $60 less.
  • 3/14/2013
    1 check-in here
    Service OK good food,  good ambience, a nice romantic, cozy little italian place much more than just a pizza place.
  • 11/25/2012
    Incredibly overpriced and mediocre at best.   Pizza was bland with poor crust and the marinara sauce on the pasta was subpar.  Meatballs were decent however.   Unreal how expensive the place is, especially for the quality of the food.  Don't waste your money.  There's just too many brick oven style pizza joints out there with ten times better food, equal if not better ambiance and better prices.
  • 3/30/2009
    Excellent food, excellent service.  The first time I went, my friend and I both ordered salads with extra grilled chicken.  I actually can't stand chicken, but their's was perfect.  Not too thick or dry, and blended nicely into my arugula salad.

    Decided to take the family here, and they loved it too.  My mom is not a big Italian fan but she really liked it.  She ordered the veal cutlet, it was good.  Others ordered the Spaghetti Fruitti de Mari, Spaghetti Bolognese, and I ordered their Carrot Fettucine off the Specials menu.

    We all loved it and would definitely come back! Very impressed with the good service.  Always smiling, very attentive, and very polite (even that first time when my friend and I ordered so little!).

    Wonderful bread basket.  : )
  • 12/4/2012
    1 check-in here
    Wait time was way too long. Pasta was generic for my taste. Price was too expensive for mediaocre italian.
  • 11/17/2010
    Went to this spot on a recommendation from a good friend.. Dined with about 10 people and was pleased from start to finish! Although the service was spotty, the food was spot on! The sun-dried tomato dipping oil and the amazing bread is enough to make your tummy smile! Next up for me was the eggplant lasagna which was absolutely delicious! I'm usually a meat lover but this plate was special! We finished off with a few deserts which were also pretty good! Overall-- good times!
    On a side note.. Music that was playing was a mix of top 20 and slow jams which I can't make my mind up on... :)
  • 7/11/2013
    How on earth did this restaurant get a 4+ rating! I only gave it a 1 because I'm unable to rate it a ZERO. Beware! Looks are very deceiving with this restaurant! It has intricate woodwork and beautiful chandeliers. However, I went for lunch today with a friend and we ordered appetizers to start- the shrimp scampi that I ordered was so over cooked it was hard to cut it with my knife let alone chew it. It was the consistency of an extra well done steak. For the first time in my life- I actually sent my food back. I was told by the manager that they cook the shrimp extra well to prevent salmonella and that even if they were to make another appetizer- it would be cooked the same way! Seriously???! To his credit he offered me something different. I ordered a linguini dish that was bland. In the meantime, my friend asked for a refill on her Pepsi- (we waited at least 20 minutes before anyone refilled our water or soda, btw) when they brought the filled glass there was BRIGHT PINK LIPSTICK on the rim! She wasn't wearing any lipstick! So gross! We politely and quietly made the waiter aware of this error (giving him the benefit of the doubt). After, waiting another half hour, two separate waiters asked if my friend wanted her food now. Um yeah... We've only been waiting an hour for our main course! When we received our meals- Eggplant Parm and Cheese Ravioli the Eggplant dish was burnt- it was actually black around the corners and my Cheese Ravioli tasted like someone took a can of Chef Boyardi put it in a bowl in the freezer for a week, recooked it in the microwave and dumped a can of flavorless tomato sauce on top. Absolutely without a doubt the most disgusting and disappointing meal I have ever had in my life!. I took a bite and left everything on my plate. My friend did the same and we paid our bill and vowed to never ever ever eat here again! Please save your taste buds and go somewhere else.
  • 10/28/2012
    The meal starts with a delicious bread basket and a sublime roasted red pepper sauce.

    The meal ends with complimentary biscotti.

    In between are free refill sodas and reasonably priced, delicious brick oven pizzas.

    I've tried all of them, my favorites are: (1) Pesto, (2) Importante with shrimp and arugula, and (3) the four-cheese

    A great neighborhood spot. The pizza is a little on the greasy side, but that's great for a pre-night out.
  • 9/23/2010
    1 check-in here
    Positives:
    - Amazing bread and sun dried tomato dipping sauce as free appetizer.
    - Nice, friendly staff
    - 3 cheese pizza - Gorgonzola, mozzarella, and forgot the other one - very good but super fatty. I only ate two slices for the fear of having a heart attack if I ate more
    - portion size is rather large (highly recommend splitting the entrees / pizza's)

    Negatives:
    - spaghetti and meatballs was very bland
  • 7/21/2012
    My coworker and I got food poisoning from the BBQ Chicken Pizza. I would stick to the vegetarian selections, of which they have a lot of.
  • 10/31/2009
    Wandered in here a few nights ago. Good find. Though I don't think the UES needs another Italian restaurant; these folks did a good job of making an impression with their food and their service.

    The bad: 4 of the beers that we initially asked for; that mind you were on the menu; were out of stock.
  • 9/13/2012
    1 check-in here
    The small details matter most.  I love the bread they give you some thin strips and some focaccia; the sun-dried tomato dip keeps me coming back though. Service is very good. I like how they give you bowls full of red pepper and oregano.
  • 9/6/2011
    An almost unreal inedible pizza - twice! We ordered the 16" Margarita.
    It arrived promptly - burned, TOTALLY dried out and inedible. Doorman tried to get the guy on his way out but he failed. The delivery guy said, "Call them and tell them" to our doorman. I did. They apologized and said they would send another "perfect" one promptly. They did.  Exactly the same.  My only thought is that it was Labor Day and the person making it never did it before. Otherwise, there is NO way they could stay in business.  We threw out $20 and will never try again.
    • 0 friends
    • 4 reviews
    5/27/2012
    I went here tonight with my family. I had called ahead and they gladly accommodated all 9 of us. The menu has a nice variety. You don't have to get just pizza. But, definitely, get the pizza! It was delicious! The crust is thin, but very tasty. Can't wait to go back and have it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered