Translation from English

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Bouley-" NYC's Second Best Restaurant"-Tribeca

For second best restaurant in NYC, Bouley has a lot of critics and quibblers, at least on Yelp.

  • 163 Duane St
    New York, NY 10013
    TriBeCa
  • Transit information 1 2 3 A C Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 964-2525
  • Business website davidbouley.com
  • 11/24/2013
    The best high end deal in town. $55 for their delectable tasting menu, with a side of attitude but a heaping of gorgeous decor. We arrived early and took a stroll outside, and a man came out saying "Ladies, this way." How magical! I knew our experience would be great already. The entry room is bursting in apple scents, and waiting room is as regal as a room in the White House. Your coat is checked and ladies room is through the dining room downstairs.

    We were seated immediately, in a cozy bench that looks out to the rest of the room. Beautiful, beautiful ambiance that is decked in winery paintings, roses, Picasso esque silverware and color. Every room has its own cozy and regal expression.

    We were given a free cold soup to begin, with a cracker and caviar amuse bouche: YUM. I ordered the tuna to start, which was absolutely delicious. I tried a friend's blinis, which was airy and appetizing. The duck was also beautifully done, with a simple and creamy side of potato puree. You get about 4 thumb slices, which doesnt seem like a lot but will be just enough for the progression of the meal. Then, came a strawberry white chocolate square as a palette cleanser, which reminded me a lot of Taiwanese
    milk ice. We were then provided their strawberries and amaretto plate--SO heavenly. I could have had a bucket of this.  And to end, a pear dessert with two scoops of ice cream. With the receipt, a tray of mini macaroons and cookies, which you can bag if too full. With your return of jacket: a lemon cake as a gift, and it was quite sizeable. The non alcoholic blueberry drink was very pure, but was too tart to go with this meal. The bread tray did not come to our table. The combination and flow of all the food deemed this one of the most memorable meals of my life; every dish was equally amazing as its former and latter.

    One of the waitstaff had a bit of 'tude, which I found to be off putting. When he asked if one of us wanted to order a different starter since all of us ordered similar, I said sure, would he recommend one? Tuna. I said if thats his recommendation. Response: Puh!  Do I? I myself dont eat tuna but i mean you all ordered the same so (babbles on rudely). A cultural quirk, but I would have appreciated a direct answer if he was going to make a suggestion in the first place. BUT, all were meticulous, well choreographed and fast. The world class food at a great price point forgives the raised pinkies.
  • 11/30/2013
    I came here with my two best friends for a weekday lunch.  We didn't know it was a jacket required type of a place (even for lunch), but the host immediately offered my guy friend a dusty jacket to borrow.

    We had the "bargain" tasting menu at $55 a head, and I would have to say the food was not that memorable for me to want to pay for it again.  I do remember the desert being exceptional, but that was not enough to justify the price.

    The ambiance was elegant, everyone was dressed nice, service was good, but "old money vibe" was just not my cup of tea.
  • 11/25/2013
    1 check-in here
    My friend had reserved a table for 2 for early lunch. It was a Friday afternoon and it got packed mid-way into our lunch. I can't imagine their weekend. We both had work so we made sure we would finish within 3 hours for the 5 course tasting menu.  It was $55 each person. We ordered different things so we can have a taste of each dish.

    we tried:
    Chilled rhubarb soup
    kingston, ny white peach soup
    Chilled cape cod wellfleet oysters
    Blini of scottish smoked salmon
    Black cod marinated with pistachio miso
    Porcini flan
    Organic long island duck
    Slow braised kobe style beef cheeks
    Hot valrhona chocolate soufflé
    Hot caramelized anjou pear

    Everything was good. Atmosphere was very positive, nicely decor. Workers were friendly. The seating arrangements were good. We got seated in the middle of the floor plan and there was a divider from our table and the next table, which is a plus. If I get a chance, I would dine here again.
  • 12/2/2013
    Food - excellent, service - excellent
  • 11/7/2013
    1 check-in here
    It's best for you to make reservations and confirm with them 2 days in advance prior to your dining date. I made a reservation for a weekday lunch at 11:30 AM when they open. We were one of the first ones there and the dining room slowing filled up during our meal. We were out at 2 PM. We had the lunch 5 course tasting menu for $55 and it took 2 hours and a half. The menu has a good amount of options and we each order something different to sample more of the menu.

    Some of the items we tried were:

    1. Chilled cape cod wellfleet oysters - It was very light and refreshing especially with the kiwi slices on top of the oyster.
    2. Blini of scottish smoked salmon - I like salmon and I like honey and this appetizer had both, so I definitely like this.
    3. Black cod marinated with pistachio miso - The taste was very light and flavors could be stronger.
    4. Porcini flan - I like the Dungeness crab in this, but not too sure about the rest.
    5. Organic long island duck - I thought this was quite ordinary.
    6. Slow braised kobe style beef cheeks - This had some gnocchi in the dish and the flavors were weak.
    7. Chilled rhubarb soup - This is pretty refreshing.
    8. kingston, ny white peach soup - Also, very refreshing.
    9. Hot valrhona chocolate soufflé - The cake was light with the right amount of sweetness.
    10. Hot caramelized anjou pear- This was a very unique dessert.

    Aside from the tasting courses we also got to choose from a variety of bread, 2 amuse bouche which were ok, mash potato & fava bean sides that was good, and petit fours that had macarons, chocolates, & other goodies. Overall, I thought the food was just okay. The presentation was nice, the ingredients were top notch, and the service was efficient. Some dishes were unique and interesting. The taste was good but could be improve. I enjoyed the dining experience, but wished the food could've stand out more. The food didn't left an impression where I would want to come back. For the price it was worth it. I know for the dinner menu, which is very similar is triple the price. For me to give 4 stars to a restaurant I would want to come back, but since it didn't I can only give it 3 stars.
  • 11/1/2013
    Tantric sex. An 11-hour sleep. A four-handed massage. And even these metaphors can't do Bouley justice.

    One enters Bouley to tiny little shelves and shelves of apples, which are restocked daily. This must be what Willy Wonka had in mind with his wallpaper. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

    The dining room is deceptively cozy, deceptively because it leaves you totally unprepared for the fanciness of the food. Such is the state of fine dining, that one expects it to come along with good posture, elbows off the table, and a sense of not belonging.

    It's usually silly to talk about bread at a restaurant like this, but at Bouley, it's not silly at all. They have an in-house baker and bakery. You pick bread of the bread carte, which boasts over 40 kinds. This is borderline irresponsible, considering the rich meal you're about to eat, but it's impossible to resist. I picked a sourdough and walnut / apricot. I asked the baker how he stays fit, and he described running around the bakery all day, every day, like an olympian. He exuded fatigue and pride.

    These tastes. Comforting, like a sleeping bag. Food as cooked by the world's greatest grandmother. One imagines very long, very wise, very careful fingers. Simple, as if the restaurant were attached to some old, French farm. Abundant, like the farmer found a million dollars in the wall, and decided to invest it. Highlights: a whole foie gras, served minimally; grade five kobe beef, sliced thin and tasting like cotton candy; a chocolate soufflé that would make Mr. Hershey blush.

    It's absurd that Bouley isn't mentioned in the same breath as Per Se or Eleven Madison. My meal was better here than at either of those two restaurants, and five times as comfortable. It is absolutely one of New York's best dining experiences.
  • 11/28/2013
    1 check-in here
    Words an hardly describe the experience that we had at Bouley. No detail was too small for this Michelin caliber restaurant; the service and decor were all top notch, but it is the quality of the food that overshadows the rest. When here, we had ordered the tasting menu, and from that moment on, our taste buds were transformed. The dishes including exotic truffle, tender lobster, fresh salmon roe, and the most diversified selection of in house breads. Their flavors were so elegantly paired and the plates were so finely prepared that, in order to fully understand, you must experience it for yourself. The chef at Bouley masterfully crafted their menu, and you will not be disappointed.
  • 11/28/2013
    1 check-in here
    Nice staff.  Food was disappointing.  The tuna appetizer was the only dish I liked and the porcini flan was interesting.  Everything else was mediocre.
  • 11/21/2013
    Over priced, under sized portions and over rated. Where should I begin...the foie gras and the scallops and shrimp appetizers were good. That said, the rest of the meal was below par.
    Ordered the lamb chops medium rare and one chop (of two) was over cooked and tough. Our waiter never came by to check on our dinner so I could not send it back until they came to remove our plates. They replaced the chop with another cooked to the correct temperature but still tough. The duck and the steak were ok but not memorable. None of the desserts were impressive though they did bring an extra to make up for the lamb chops. The service was not well orchestrated and our water glasses were rarely refilled.
    At over $150 per person all in I expected more. Go to Scalini Fideli instead.
  • 11/7/2013
    Well, can't fault the food. Delicious. Had an app of shrimp, scallop etc. entree Chatham Day Catch Lobster. Don't ask what they catch at night! Well, delish. But you know what the Bouley Diet is. Between the small portions and the prices both your body and wallet are going to be lighter!

    4 stars because I'm still hungry'
  • 11/7/2013
    On par with Eleven Madison Park, Gramercy Tavern, and Jean Georges, Bouley was one of my favorite dining experiences in New York City.

    I came to Bouley on a Wednesday evening with a few colleagues and clients. As the one that made the reservation, I struggled to find seating for eight at a reasonable hour at other higher-end restaurants in New York. Getting a table at Bouley was easy, however, and the staff was accommodating  in putting together two tables for us.

    The first room upon entering is a small alcove in which the wall is covered in apples.It smells absolutely amazing! The only other places I've seen this concept was in the restaurant Kai, in Mayfair, London.

    We ended up ordering the six-course tasting menu. I ate:

    - Cape Code Oysters: three small oysters combined with kiwis. Who would've thought that kiwis and oysters would go so well together??
    - Porcini flan: probably would've gone with the wild salmon instead
    - Organic Connecticut Farm egg:  would've preferred the lobster
    - Japanese kobe: everyone ordered this. It's only three tiny strips of meat, but based on my experience eating real Kobe beef in Japan, this is the real thing (most menu's stating "kobe beef" in the US is not the real thing)
    - biodynamic strawberries: amazing. Probably my favorite dish after the Kobe. I had to ask for seconds...
    - Chocolate souffle: I actually didn't order this but I think they mixed my order up - I'm not a big fan of chocolate so didn't finish it, but I think a chocolate lover would've liked the dish.

    Overall a great experience. We were seated in the lower floor so it was very quiet and the room wasn't filled at any point when we were there. We were definitely the largest party.

    Note that the courses are well-portioned, so you won't get too full early on in the meal. I did not leave stuffed like I did coming out of Eleven Mad. Overall, highly recommended!
  • 10/12/2013
    1 check-in here
    Listed in New York Must Eats
    I dined here for lunch after having Per Se the night before. I gotta say, I was more impressed with Bouley than Per Se. The ambiance and food really impressed me. It felt like dining in Napa Valley in the middle of Manhattan. The five course tasting menu for lunch was my favorite meal during my trip. GET THE PORCINI FLAN (don't judge a book by its covers). I was very hesitant to get it so I made the hubby get it. I fell in love with the dish, I wanted to order another one a la carte for $22. I opted for the miso cod, which was nothing special.

    Thank you Bouley for the "Happy Anniversary" flan cake, it was delicious.

    Bouley is a must when you're in NY!
  • 11/3/2013
    1 check-in here
    Saturday lunch - tasting menu.
    Wouldnt recommend the kiwi oysters, wasnt sure why the kiwis were there. Great crab, duck and lamb. Both pear and chocolate suffle were great. Also when you tell them its your anniversary or a birthday they bring you a dessert with a candle on it. The fresh bread was delicious - pistachip hazelnut bread was divine though I bet all of those loafs were awesome.

    Service was great, obviously, but thats what you expect at a Michelin starred restaurants. I really enjoyed the 44yr old whiskey. I think they are good for what you pay, but I'll have to try the a la carte menu next time to really decide. For the price and reputation it was a good time. Plus I enjoyed that people were talking and laughing instead of a rigid environment where everyone whispers, like some other posh restaurants.
  • 10/14/2013
    KenScale: 8.5/10

    Bouley is one of the long-standing New York dining institutions from acclaimed chef David Bouley, offering French cuisine with Asian influences. I finally made a trip that was long overdue for lunch (which features a relative bargain of $55 per person for five-course tasting menu), and wasn't disappointed.

    Bouley's food is everything you could ask for in French opulence. I did like all of the dishes, but can now understand how Bouley can be a polarizing place at times, with some people thinking of it as too stuffy. Blini of Scottish smoked salmon (with salmon trout roe, white truffle honey) was a light and playful start to the meal. In black code marinated with pistachio, I could definitely sense a touch of Asian flavor and technique. My main meal, all-natural Pennsylvania chicken (with blue kale, roasted garlic) was a flavorful dish. At the end, though, I enjoyed the desserts a little more than the preceding dishes. Kingston, NY White peach soup was very refreshing without being overly sweet, while hot caramelized anjoy pear was so decadent that I couldn't stop eating even while feeling guilty.

    I absolutely love the decor of the restaurant, which makes you think you're literally at a palace or a mansion in France. I couldn't stop marveling at the delicate touch that has been put to the venue, highlighted by large oil paintings on the marble wall. The service was very attentive and professional as well. It's definitely not easy to snag a reservation here (though probably not as hard as other top-flight restaurants in New York City such as EMP or Le Bernardin), so the best bet is to go for lunch for the five-course tasting menu. For gentlemen, jacket is required to dine at the restaurant.
  • 11/20/2013
    I came to Bouley for lunch and was thoroughly disappointed.  Many courses felt heavy-handed with garnish and flourish but weren't tasty.  Here's what I had:

    Oysters - these came with all the briney water poured out, with small slices of kiwi.  Perhaps others like this flavor profile but I found it to be off-putting.

    Corn & lobster soup - this was quite tasty

    Salmon - overcooked to the point of it being dry.  nearly inedible.  the fingerling potato mash they served as a side was excellent though.

    Molten chocolate - I'm sure this wasn't their name for it.  It had a burnt taste as if it has been in the oven a few mins too long.

    Something with strawberries - eh.

    The bread cart was very nice.

    One very customer service-y thing they do is give out small loafs when you leave - I really appreciated the gesture but my lemony loaf turned out to be extremely sticky sweet, I had one piece and threw it away.

    This meal was $300 (wine, prix fixe lunch, coffee) for 2 people and I was really disappointed.
  • 10/26/2013
    1 check-in here
    Doesn't live up to the hype: 3 stars for the food. 4 stars for ambiance and service.
    We did the tasting menu. Everything was decently good but nothing was special or interesting.

    - Appetizers were nice, especially the wild mushrooms - although including a piece of tuna didn't make so much sense. We thought the porcini flan was a bit too sweet for our taste. Big eye tuna caviar with green apple sauce didn't come together so well. Blini of Scottish Smoked Salmon was delightful. My least favorite was the tomato coulis with cream and lobster  - the tomato taste was overwhelming that you hardly taste the lobster but it could just be i'm not a tomato coulis fan. Plus that was a complimentary dish so I won't judge too much..

    - The entrees (beef checks and duck) were rather ordinary and not much to talk about. You can easily find similar dishes in a decent $$ restaurant.

    - Desserts: we had all the desserts options: peach soup with grape ice cream, strawberry with amaretto ice cream, chocolate souffle, anjou pear. Nothing outstanding, rather too sweet and we couldn't even finish it.

    To end with a more positive note, they had a very good bread selection!
    • 0 friends
    • 6 reviews
    10/29/2013
    This restaurant is paranoid about your reservation - especially if you made it thru Open Table- they called to confirm twice and then they called the hour before we came.
    That time I was in a meeting and not answering my phone and when I arrived at the restaurant they had cancelled the reservation!!!!!
    They made us wait for a table (which had our name on it till 30 minutes before) - No apology or anything -
    Food was uneven - lots of foam - (ugh)
    Too bad -
    NL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered