Translation from English

Saturday, June 28, 2014

FDNY News

Published: June 27, 2014

Get to Know: Kristin Eng, Video Producer/Editor

Name: Kristin Eng   
Title/Rank: Video Producer/Editor
Work Location: FDNY Headquarters
Years with the Department: 12
Job Description: Scripts, edits and produces videos for the FDNY, including training resources for Fire and EMS members, as well as special events for the Department’s Youtube channel.
How did you end up working for the FDNY? I had been working in corporate video for nearly 10 years and was thinking about changing my career, having been laid off after the dot.com bubble burst. Then 9/11 happened. I was hired as a temporary FEMA employee to work at the FDNY’s Incident Command Post, just assisting the Chiefs and units there. Eventually FEMA left and I ended up working for the FDNY out of a trailer on the site until the recovery operation closed. I met extraordinary people that year.
What do you like most about your coworkers? In our unit, we work with a lot of the uniformed members and the majority of them are fantastic - such amusing, creative, smart and caring people. We are always trying to do to the best thing for the department and our members. And personally, I’ve never worked anywhere where I’ve felt more supported.
What makes the FDNY different from anywhere else? The men and women of the FDNY aren’t easily flustered. Their big emergencies are so much bigger than the everyday person’s. So, it’s the people. They are pleasant and easy to work with.
If I wasn’t a [your job], I would be a ________. Crafter – building stuff with my hands and sewing.
What’s your proudest moment? One of my proudest accomplishments that I hardly ever think about was when my rowing team in college won the San Diego Crew Classic’s California Cup for the first time for our University. But, also, every moment with my daughter. She’s a little light.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered