Translation from English

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wow, finally a NYC building with a 13th Floor!

Starting many, many years ago it became the overwhelming trend in NYC to NOT have any floors numbered "13"--either because it would scare tenants away or maybe just superstition on part of building speculators as well.

I can't remember. but I believe some important buildings like the Empire State DO have 13th floors, but it seems rare...especially rare in apartment buildings. There they just go from the 12th to the 14th floor...

This elevator is in a building  that is part of the Weill Cornell hospital complex. How refreshing it is to see they did not go for the "12A" cop-out they use at the main hospital... Of course, if my appointment had been on the 13th floor, maybe I would have felt differently....I do not think of myself as at all superstitious, but every once in a while I find myself acting on some screwy idea of something being "bad luck" that I learned from other kids in childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered