Translation from English

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rockefeller Center, Part II

Continuing on about Rockefeller Center (with more to come)--

The longer you hang around the place, the more impressive it becomes. It is one of those really special landmark areas that really deserve the designation.

Even the grillework in the sidewalks around the trees is an Art Deco delight...

I am going to hold off doing any more Wiki quotes or anything until I get the rest of the photos I want to take there ( I hope tomorrow)...including Radio City Music Hall ( at least the exterior...it will be tempting not to go to Google Images to get at least one shot of the interior...but if you have ever seen the super popular TV game show "Wheel of Fortune," you have  had a view of its famous auditorium.

But, I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Tourists who come to Rockefeller Center are not disappointed unless they have no visual sense whatsoever,--and there are people like that. One winter I met two young men who had ice skates slung over their shoulders are were very upset the skating rink was "so small." I told them to try the big rink at the Southern end of Central Park...if it was adequately frozen over by that time. Or the other rink further up in the park, I guess it is the Lasker Rink....I have been up there wandering around but only once.

They left with big frowns on their faces. I suppose if you come to Manhattan with ice skating as your major goal in mind, you are probably not going to be all that thrilled...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered