Translation from English

Saturday, June 15, 2013

La Grenouille-FAMOUS restaurant, but is it worth the money?

La Grenouille has been a favorite Midtown restaurant for as long as I can remember. I don't think I have ever eaten there--I might have done so, because my work at the time took me to a ton of business lunches and dinners at all the "best" places in Manhattan...including some which were not very good at all but were just super trendy at the time ( the worst of these was a restaurant with factory grimy walls and general disrepair upstairs at what was then the Palladium -- a huge multi story mixed used nightclub kind of place on East 14th Street. It was run by the same man who had the legendary Studio 54. Very in, very expensive, and very crummy.

But getting back to La Grenouille...let me see what they say on the net..

Sounds like people generally love the place, except for those who  find it overpriced and pretentious ( who could be surprised if some people felt that way about a place like this?)

The first Yelp review --Yelp is pretty demanding and critical--is a paean to the wonders of La Grenouille...

"My first experience as a patron of La Grenouille is an experience I don't ever want to forget.

My boyfriend took me to La Grenouille for our 3 year anniversary a couple of weeks ago, and I swear he couldn't have planned anything better for us. It's one of the most romantic restaurants anyone could ever dine in in NYC. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with warm smiles from every staff member of the restaurant. The staff is mostly made up of older gentlemen who seem to be very passionate about their profession--not to mention, very knowledgeable about what they serve. Our server Aquiles made us feel so comfortable about ordering food off a menu that included dishes that were so foreign to us. My gosh, were they so delicious!...."


OK, so some people think it is a Godsend...others do not. Never having been there, I have no opinion and I couldn't care less if YOU went there either. I have to say as ever I have no financial incentive in reporting on these places, which I do regularly if they are sort of landmarks, and this one is.

Wherever you go, bon appetit!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered