Translation from English

Saturday, June 8, 2013

BBC Up All Night Raves about the $5 "Cronut" which is Now All the Rage here ( supposedly)

You know, I think I am going to be sick. Just listening to BBC NYC segment where their loudmouth correspondent is talking about the "newest rage of Manhattan" called the "Cronut"(their spelling) --cross between a croissant and a donut (their spelling) --that sell for $5 each.
Made at some trendy bakery downtown. This overbearing NY "expert" boasted how people would pay other people to wait in line for them to get the damn things.
(Apparently this story of the Cronut was published originally in the NY Times and somehow went viral or something. Amazing what the thought of a sweet piece of comfort food can mean to some people....hmmm...reminds me of driving through towns in Southern Bohemia in what is now the Czech Republic and in each town square was at least one coffee and pastry shop--with outdoor tables as this was August-- and packed with thickening middle aged and older Czech women getting their own Cronut like favorites for the day...and maybe just one more they were probably saying all the time..)

When I emailed in a message pointing out the wretched excess of all this and how gentrified Manhattan has become when people pay other people to wait in line for them to buy "Cronuts" (limit three to a customer or something, too)-- my email was greeted with great derision and the comment that " I had no understanding of what life in NYC is about," and harking back to some doughnut (my spelling) shop in Harlem that used to have people lining up for bags of them *(but this guy admits NOT for $5 each).
I never claim to be someone who is always "in the know" and am not a professional (or "stage") New Yorker and I readily admit I am not up on everything that happens here...and I wouldn't want to be. Especially something like the  Cronut, essential as it may be for some types.

The Yuppies cannot get enough of their Cronuts? " Let them eat cake".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered