Translation from English

Saturday, June 8, 2013

BBC Up All Night -Five Live

I find most television in the United States pretty boring, and I listen to internet or regular radio a good deal when I am not reading...

One of my favorite shows is BBC's "Up All Night," which features presenters Rhod Sharp and Dotun Adebayo and has been on since 1994 I gather ( although I did not discover it until about 2005 as I remember...maybe a little earlier).

Wikipedia has a lot to say about the show, but this is a pithy short description:

Up All Night is a programme broadcast on the national radio station BBC Radio 5 Live in the United Kingdom, and is on air between the hours of 01:00 and 05:00 every night. It is also broadcast on most of the BBC's local radio frequencies across England as well as on Radio Scotland, Radio Cymru and Radio Ulster.
The Washington Post once described the show as probably the best night-time radio show in the world.[1]

The show starts at 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and runs until Midnight here.

 I don't know where to begin in describing the many faceted aspects of this show, which covers latest scientific developments, political news from all over the world, and of course the New York City segment on what is Saturday Night here. And much, much more.

I rarely listen to a whole evening's programming, just check in and listen for a while...but I sometimes get hooked and listen on often to about 11 p.m. here.

One of the articles I found on the internet said that Dotun is tired of broadcasting from England and wants to go back to Nigeria where he was born (he grew up in London).  This was from last April... he is still on as far as I know, and of course like many people will be extremely sorry to see him go. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered