Translation from English

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Yelp Burger Bash- Whitman's- East Village

 Another Yelp Burger favorite, this one like Korzo Haus in the East Village...mixed reviews but these places were chosen by Yelp for overall high rankings

Whitman's

4.0 star rating
270 reviews
$$ Burgers

  • 406 E 9th St
    New York, NY 10009
    b/t East 9th St & Avenue A in East Village
  • Transit information 4 6 6X L Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 228-8011
  • Business website whitmansnyc.com
    • 17 friends
    • 50 reviews
    11/11/2013
    Fried pickles

    Juicy Lucy

    Sweet potato and regular fries

    Although they aren't overwhelming in size, man do these burgers pack a punch.  Simply flavored with an explosive amount of cheese in the middle, the burgers were excellent.

    The burger is topped with caramelized onions for sweetness and crisp tomatoes and pickles for a nice crunch.  Must order here!

    Don't come on a first date
  • 11/20/2013
    1 check-in here
    Meh, is all I can really say. I didn't really hate it per se but the burger is borderline slider and the burger was over cooked for me. Also, $12 for a borderline slider is kinda pricey, then at top of it, I got sold up into adding bacon for another $2 bucks. So, $14 for a borderline bacon slider... needless to say I was not full. The place is also really cramped, the tables are super tight.

    The food:

    The Mangold- it's a grilled beef brisket blend, melted cheddar, red onions, horseradish cream sauce on a toasted sesame seed bun. So the burger meat itself tasted super fresh, the horseradish cream had a lot of flavor but was oddly put on a 1/4 of the burger and the sesame seed bun was nice and pillowy. The burger was only slightly red when I asked for med rare and the burger didn't really have a robust beefy flavor. And it took 30 mins to boot, the restaurant wasn't even packed.

    Roasted Brussel Sprouts- this was a special for the day and it was a nice brussel spout dish with roasted garlic and bacon. It didn't knock my socks off, it was agood not great dish.
  • 11/9/2013
    Wasn't impressed with the burger. It was better than something you'd get at a typical diner, but not as good as most other options in the neighborhood if you're looking for places that specialize in burgers.

    I ordered the crack kale on the side to try to balance out the burger with something healthy but that was a mistake, it was so oily I didn't eat it.
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    11/20/2013
    It's been a while, but I'm sure I just ordered a regular ol' burger and WOW. There is something to be said about the quality meat used in these burgers. You could definitely taste the difference and feel it too - no guilty, bloated feeling after your meal here. I also had the fried pickles which were absolutely perfect! They were thin and light like a pickle chip. YUM!!
  • 11/21/2013
    Had the juicy Lucy and blue cheese fries. Both were great. The burger wasn't huge, but with the fries I left pretty full.  The burger was incredibly tasty, i plan to go back and sample another.  The beer selection is a bit limited.  The place is tiny so the wait may be long on the weekends. Cash only.
  • 11/16/2013
    All I had was the Juicy Lucy. Phenomenal! I know some people are saying it is on the small side..oh c'mon...True, maybe it's not as big as those Bohemian American-sized burgers as big as a plate, however it's big enough. You won't be hungry afterwards. However, you won't be full. You'll be just right.

    Really cute ambiance. Minus one star for being cash only.
  • 10/27/2013
    This place has great food and I would give it 4 or 5 stars but they are *cash only*. (I'm not sure how some modern day small businesses don't take credit card...it's offensive to customers and a little sketchy. I would have skipped the place all together but I was really craving sweet potato fries.)

    I got a Juicy Lucy and an order of sweet potato fries and devoured both. I love any burger place that has sweet potato fries and the Juicy Lucy itself was delicious -- the beef patty is filled with cheese and the bun has lots of sesame seeds -- so good!

    + Do get the sweet potato fries!
    - Don't forget cash
  • 11/2/2013
    Decent burgers and they are super friendly. Burgers met the usual requirements of a good burger but nothing stood out. Really wanted to love the place but there are just too many burgers in this city. The crack kale is greasy, maybe that is why it's so addicting.
  • 9/22/2013
    Whitman's is nice little place, but it's very specialized and, in my opinion, overcharges you.

    Basically, their entire menu is burgers. Lots of different kinds of burgers, some more unique than others. They also offer fries and, randomly, cookies and milk. My friends and I (around 15 of us) went for dinner, however I wasn't all that hungry so I got the cookies and milk. It was $6 for three moderately sized chocolate chip cookies and a somewhat large glass of milk. Like I said, overpriced.

    My friends got burgers that they thought were somewhat good, but it took forever to get our food. It was a Friday night, so I'd usually give them a break. However, their upstairs seating area is tiny, and we were one of two parties seated downstairs. While I know that their kitchen is probably not that big, the amount of time we waited was ridiculous. They'd bring out four burgers or so, then make us wait another 20 minutes before bringing out the next set. It took 45 minutes for me to get cookies and milk.

    The atmosphere was also very cramped. It was so small and they barely had a table that fit all of us, even when pushing several tables together. The lighting was dim, there was too much noise, and I just couldn't get over how much money we were spending to be there. Overall, the experience was not that great and I would most likely not come here again.
  • 10/20/2013
    1 check-in here
    Listed in NYC's BEST Burgers

    I feel as though this would be the best hidden gem if it weren't so popular. From the street it looks like a little hole in the wall place with a few stools and a window to order. In reality there is is staircase leading down to a intimate dining area in the basement home of home-y decor, excellent service, and an overall wonderful atmosphere.

    They're cash only, prices are a bit high, and portions are a bit small so I took off a star for value but the quality is definitely great as are their unique offerings. Whitman's is by far a burger place, yes they have a couple options that aren't but if you're coming here and not getting a burger you're missing the point. What put Whitman's on the map for a lot of people is their PB&B, a peanut butter and bacon burger. I ordered The Hound ($12), a bacon infused burger topped with smoked gruyere, arugula, and potato sticks served on a potato roll. The combination of flavors and textures was perfect. My girlfriend got the juicy lucy, a Midwestern classic where the cheese is stuffed into the patty prior to cooking and practically explodes out of the burger when eating. We split an order of fried pickles and sweet potato fries, both were excellent. Beer selection is limited to a few bottles ($5-8) and one beer on tap that rotates. We had a pitcher of that beer ($24), a dark hoppy micro brew and it rounded out a nearly perfect meal. I wished going out for a burger with some beer didn't cost $70+ after tip and that my burger was bigger but otherwise I'm a big Whitman's fan.
  • 10/1/2013
    Ok so I"m giving this place 3 stars only because I can't give it 3 and a half.
    Whitman's is legit, really good food, me and my gf went here with a Gilt City we had no problems using it, it came with a bottle of wine, 2 starters, 2 entrees, and dessert.
    I didn't know what to get so I looked at Yelp reviews while we waited for out order to be taken and I decided to go with the most popular option which was the Juicy Lucy and blue cheese fries, I won't ruin the surprise for you but trust me go with the Juicy Lucy.

    The place is pretty easy to find, it's typical NY pricing, one reason I deducted a star from them was that they only accept cash! I mean that's cool for a $1 slice pizza joint but at a place where you can get good beer and a bottle of wine to go with your $13 burger I'm sorry but you gotta accept plastic in this day in age especially around the Alphabet City area, for those unfamiliar to this part of town, it is a area still in transition, tons of bars and places to eat it's very hip I personally love it, BUT the projects are right next to you not exactly the part of town I'm trying to walk in with more than $20 cash on me ijs
  • 11/8/2013
    Great burgers for a reasonable New York price. Nice servers and quiet atmosphere. They have some excellent burger creations such as peanut butter on a burger and a burger patty mixed with various hot peppers.
  • 10/25/2013
    The juicy lucy is the star that the other burgers cannot compete with in terms of moist flavor.  The fried pickles are delicious but the crack kale is oversalted and the service seems a bit disorganized at times.
  • 8/29/2013


    Let's just go straight to the patty....

    I got the Juicy Lucy burger ($11) - the burger was delicious! Rated 4/5.
    Just the way they describes it, tasty beef short rib blend patty, with cooked pimento cheese inside! Add the caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato spicy pickles & sauce will satisfy any burger fan!
    Yes, watch out for the HOT cheese inside the patty!

    The part that I was not happy with was the size of the beef patty. It is much smaller then I imagine made more obvious by the big bun. I was just a little disappointed and felt like saying 'where is the beef."

    I had for appetizer the Kale Salad ($7) and a side of sweet potato fries ($5).
    Kale Salad & fries were great!
    Both rated 4/5.

    The price for the meal was high for just burgers & fries ($16) but if you are a big fan of burgers you definitely have to visit Whitmans.
    At the time of this posting there is a promotion on Google Offers; you have to download their APP and you'll get $10 off on $20 of food (but only one deal per table).

    The place is SMALL! Only a couple of seats on the street level. There is a basement dining area which is about the same size as upstairs. The servers are all wiggling around the tight tables and chairs and you.

    Note:
    Expect to share your table.
    Cash only.
  • 8/29/2013
    1 check-in here

    For over $20 I got a LITTLE burger, little bit of salad (that i shared) and little bit of succotash (that I shared) and a few pieces if sweet potato fries (that I shared). It was not worth it.

    3 people to have 3 TINY hamburgers for dinner for close to $60????!!!! Highway robbery! I have a limit to how much I am willing to pay for a hamburger meal. For over $20, I didn't even get a drink! It's just a freakin burger! Ludicrous!
  • 8/12/2013
    1 check-in here

    It's taken me a sec to get around to reviewing this EV gem, but I'm glad I remembered today.  You've probably read 20 other reviews telling you to try the Juicy Luicy already, so I won't even bo---YES I WILL, GET THE GOD DAMN JUICY LUICY.

    PROS:
    Seriously good burger, gooey pimento cheese inside and well seasoned.  Just be warned that this burger is of the 4 oz variety, similar in size to a single Shake Shack patty, so order wisely.  We started with the crack kale chips, which were really good at the beginning but man they give you a lot.  I literally ate them for 10 min straight while waiting for the burgers and didn't make a dent in the bowl.  Also, we split the cheese steak sandwich and it was fantastic.  Seriously, so damn good.  Prices are also really reasonable, always a plus.

    CONS:
    WAIT TIME.  This place is tiny, so if you're coming for dinner expect to wait a while.  Our wait time was about an hour around 7pm on a work day.  Another con of this place being so small is you are sitting elbow to elbow with strangers, so be prepared to know how your neighbors day at work was.  Our waiter was pleasant, but clearly swamped as she was the only one waiting on the whole restaurant (2 small floors).  Took about 20 minutes after multiple reminders to get a Sprite, but overall a very positive experience.
    • 43 friends
    • 80 reviews
    9/9/2013
    1 check-in here
    This is one of those places that you love and don't love at the same time.
    On one hand - the juicy lucy burger is amazing - get this and nothing else - best burger you will eat. On the other hand, 1 small burger will run you $11 - fries will run you an extra $4 bringing a simple burger meal to $15+ if you order toppings/drinks/sides

    Don't get the cracked kale - it was way too oily - felt like I was munching on packets of oil. The regular burger is nothing to rave about. The juicy lucy was delicious - grilled perfectly and oozing with cheese in the middle.

    Great for that occasional gourmet burger craving but in terms of price/value probably not
  • 9/11/2013
    1 check-in here
    Dear Patty Melt,
    You've stolen my husband, but I had your ice cream sandwich.  He fakes it with you, but every bite I gave was real.  I'll come back and do it again.  Go ahead, let my husband go out for burgers.  I'll probably join in you delicious tramp.
  • 11/11/2013
    Juicy Lucy on a potato bun, no pickles no onions. Sweet potato fries and water is fine. Oh, and the cookie sandwich is goood mmmmyeaaaah. Still waiting on my text, ahem ahem ;p
  • 7/7/2013
    1 check-in here

    The Black Label Burger (Minetta Tavern).
    The Bash Burger (B&B).
    The Blue Ribbon Burger (Blue Ribbon).

    What do these have in common with the Juicy Lucy from Whitman's? Simply, they're all inferior products, as are most other imitators in the ground beef sandwich game. Whitman's may just be home to the best burger in NYC that also happens to be quite the bargain at $11. Kablamo!

    Said burger is made up of a beef short rib blend stuffed with pimento cheese that seems to get everywhere from the moment your fingers touch the bun (think those Carl's Jr. commercials from way back when). Served with caramelized onion, lettuce, tomato, spicy pickles and special sauce... it's the kind of burger you won't set down on your plate once, instead opting to keep it in your hand to shorten the striking distance from fingertips to tastebuds.

    It's a small place that can get busy if you choose the wrong windows to dine in, but tables seem to turn over pretty quickly if you're willing to wait (which you will).
  • 7/18/2013
    1 check-in here
    After a highly recommendation from a very reputable Yelper, I headed to East 9th Street in LES to check out Whitmans. On the 1st floor there is a little small area with a couple of tables and then a small bar with four stools along the other side against the wall. There were a couple of very friendly girls talking to the cashier (first floor server). Downstairs was the dining room that I never went to go and see. The vibe upstairs was very casual, friendly, and inviting.

    I ordered the Hound (I'm from South Carolina and love bacon) instead of the recommended Juicy Lucy. The bad news, the Juicy Lucy was the recommended burger. The good news, the bacon ladened Hound with its arugula, gruyere cheese, and potato sticks was pretty darn good and juicy itself. What's more good news, I have an excuse to go back again and try the Juicy Lucy. The worker said the Juicy Lucy is the most ordered but he personally preferred the Hound because he is a bacon lover like myself. The nice young ladies who the cashier and I had a friendly conversation with had just finished splitting the Cheese Steak and Juicy Lucy as they sipped down their pitcher of beer. They suggested I try the cheese steak next. This is sure to cause a slight dilemma on my next visit without a doubt.

    Heads up: Whitmans only accepts cash (upstairs anyway)
  • 8/14/2013
    1 check-in here
    Small place with two floors. Dark and packed. Cool & friendly watresses a-la-Amy Winehouse. Love the style!

    We waited for quite a while at the counter perusing the menu. Hubby and I reviewed our potential order over and over again until there was nothing left to discuss. We stood around awkwardly while waiting for the table to be cleared and while the waiters squeezed past the narrow gap between us and the walls.

    We had:

    Crack Kale 5*: You must try these if you come to Whitman's. Hubby LOVED them! Expect savory crispy crackles in your mouth. Savory as if there is msg in them (not saying that there is). You'd feel pretty good when you order kale, but beware! these are literally bathed in oil and are probably the least bit healthy. Although, they are very very savory!

    Blue Cheese Fries 5*: Yummm! Their fries with blue cheese sauce were absolutely delicious!! Salty and savory with a mild blue cheese flavor.

    Juicy Lucy 3*: An unusual burger. The patty has a hollow center that is filled with oozing pimento cheese! What a delightful surprise when you work your way into the burger! Apart from the ingenious construction of this meat patty, I was not wowed by the texture and taste of the actual burger... Sadly...

    Great place to get greasy with your friends on a night out. :-)
  • 6/26/2013
    2 check-ins here
    I hate giving out poor reviews, but I was totally underwhelmed by Whitman's (partially due to the glowing Yelp reviews! Thanks for nothing!). I'll just cut to the chase.

    Service: Surprisingly slow. We came at 8:30 on a weeknight and the place was full, but they only had one waitress (and one busboy) serving ALL the tables. The waitress (a Lady Gaga lookalike!) was friendly, but our food took forever. Our burgers came out first. Then the fries. Then, finally, the kale, after my burger was already half eaten. It took the table next to us about 10 minutes to get their beer...

    Upstate Burger ($7): A decent burger. The best part were the veggies -- juicy tomato, giant butter lettuce leaves and some SUPER tasty pickles. However, the burger was only the size of my palm and was basically served on a saucer. Sooo tiny! Also, the bun was cold. Like, they took that long to make my dwarf burger and couldn't even bother to grill/toast the bun? :(

    Juicy Lucy ($11): I didn't actually try this, but my friend ordered the Juicy Lucy and it in fact wasn't juicy at all. The middle was just a hole with a tiny dribble of sauce -- incredibly disappointing. We showed our waitress, who mumbled something about all the burgers being "standard." Um, whatever! If you can't get the ONE thing your restaurant is known for correct, then I have nothing to say.

    Blue Cheese Fries ($5): Came out piping hot. Not sure why they took so long. The fries themselves were good; the sauce was waaaaaay too salty.

    Crack Kale ($4): Probably the most disappointing thing all night. I would describe it as seaweed cotton candy...it's crunchy and salty yet magically melts in your mouth! The first few bites were full of wonder. Then I couldn't eat any more because it was so damn oily. The kale isn't thick enough to absorb the oil, so once the leaves dissolve on your tongue, you're just left with a puddle of grease to swallow. Uh, no thanks.
  • 7/7/2013
    YES! Finally a solid burger joint in the city! It's your typical small east village joint and luckily they have additional seating downstairs. We decided to sit upstairs on street level- because I like to people watch and I'm not a fan of claustrophobic basement environments. LOL Sorryyyyy- I need windows in my life.

    We started off with their signature fried pickles along with their blue cheese fries. They were both delicious- especially those fried pickles!! I've had fried pickles in the past and have been disappointed- not this time my friends, Whitman's hit the nail right on the head with these bad boys. The sauce it comes with only adds to the amazingness.

    For our burger entrees, I went with the famed juicy lucy and my boo ordered the patty melt.  The juicy lucy looks pretty small on first glance but it's only because its stuffed with cheesy goodness on the inside. I took one bite and my plate became one juicy cheesy mess (jn a good way of course) - I have to say it isn't for everyone though. It's really REALLY good but I kinda expected more thanks to all the yelp hype- maybe the cheese being on the inside changed the game for me. I can't pinpoint why I didn't 100% love it.  My boo's patty melt on the other hand was amazing- cheesy to the max and delicious throughout. The chips it came with were beyond salty- I couldn't have more than one- it was TOO MUCH but luckily we had fried pickles and blue cheese fries to make up for that.

    We left that restaurant so ridiculously full it's not even funny.  I have been looking for a great NYC burger place for so long- I think Whitman's fits the bill.

    I'd definitely return... that peanut butter & bacon burger sounds pretty damn interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered