Translation from English

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Yelp Burger Bash- Korzo Haus in the East Village


  • 178 E 7th St
    New York, NY 10009
    b/t Avenue A & Avenue B in East Village, Alphabet City
  • Transit information F L Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 780-0181
  • Business website korzohaus.com
  • 11/10/2013
    1 check-in here

    It's tragic that I never got around to visiting this place when I lived literally a block away; now I have to travel an hour to get here! But the trek is worth it. So worth it. I'm not familiar with Hungarian food, so I guess this was a good gateway meal.

    My friend and I came at 1PM on Sunday; I expected a heavy brunch crowd but surprisingly, there were only two others eating inside. The interior is quite cozy with low wooden benches, stools and tables. Our waiter was extremely attentive and quick to give us helpful recommendations.

    Klassik Halusky ($6): I would describe it as Eastern European mac n cheese. It was rich and cheesy but not overwhelmingly so, and the bacon pieces really turned the flavor up a notch. Better than I expected, as I wasn't sure what to expect.

    Original burger, fried ($15): This is one. Juicy. Burger. On my second bite, I accidentally squirted hot juice all over my hand, so be careful when consuming! The deep-fried bun was kind of pastry-like, reminiscent of pie crust (my favorite part of the pie!), and it made the burger look like some kind of exotic burger-egg. The mustard added nice flavor, and I didn't feel the need to add condiments. Definitely amazing, would recommend to all my friends.

    Slav burger, fried ($15): I don't know what half the ingredients in this burger taste like (carraway seeds, juniper berries and bryndza??), but the overall taste was a bit plain. Tasted better with hot sauce.

    Korzo definitely gets a place on my list of favorite burger joints. The great (and surprising) thing about the food is that it doesn't leave you feeling disgusting afterward.

    Cash only!
  • 10/26/2013
    I didn't love it. I thought there was too much dough for the size of the patty, and I didn't like the cheese that was used. It reminded me of swiss, which I'm not a fan of. The beet ketchup was interesting, but I honestly would've preferred regular ketchup.

    I generally eat pretty cleanly, so when I decided to treat myself to a deep-fried burger I was expected something mind-blowing, I was let down big time. There are several burger joints in the East Village that I'd rather go to for a greasy treat.
  • 10/15/2013
    1 check-in here
    I would recommend this place as well, and would return so can retry and try other items. There is no place exactly like it.

    Their dumpling of the day and something call fried halusky as starters were really good. I like piroshkis and it is a good description of their burgers; deep fried; chewy; filled with ground meat; cheese; ale mustard. There are only four types, one is veggie. Also, the sweet potato fries were good by themselves even without the aioli.

    This place is for locals as it felt out of the way if you are a visitor. The outside looks like a front of a dive bar. Inside is small and on the dark side for an eatery but strangely it felt comfortable since it was not crowded.
  • 11/20/2013
    I went on a Friday night and had no problem getting a seat although this place is tiny.  I walked by it so many times but finally tried it and the burger was so juicy, I loved it.  I could hardly finish both halves and I will have to go back to try the fries.  The beer on tap is delicious and refreshing.  I really felt like I was in Europe!  It's CASH ONLY and the staff is very sweet.  Oh and the bread/"pita" was crunchy on the outside, thin (I don't like thick/dense buns), and was perfect for holding everything together.
  • 9/10/2013
    1 check-in here
    Listed in I Heart NYC!

    I've never had a one night stand.

    For fear of catching [list STDs here], meeting a psychopath, compromising my principles or ... the bf might just kill me.

    But if I EVER do, I hope it's just like the Korzo Burger:  it'll keep my mouth busy, be seriously beefy, juicy and delicious with every bite.

    And smothered all over with beet ketchup.

    Satisfaction ... guaranteed.
  • 9/30/2013


    What does it mean to have eaten the same burger as the President of Slovakia? You get that much closer to assuming a post-communist sense of power. How does Korzo accomplish this through a "burger"? The Korzo original is not JUST a burger. It is possibly THE burger; yes, I'm willing to stake the claim this was possibly the BEST burger I've had in my entire life (a bold statement from someone who is quite the self-proclaimed burgerphile).

    Walking into Korzo Haus, don't be alarmed just because the exterior may look like the barnyard entrance to a slaughterhouse (it doesn't help, of course, that the bathroom is completely lit by red bulbs). The interior may be properly billed as the smallest beer hall styled restaurant in the entire city. The brick walls, dim lighting, simple wooden tables/ stools, wall shelf lined with beet ketchup, and a chalkboard that dictates your very limited options tells you this place doesn't joke around (even if the music strangely jumps around from Chaka Khan to Adam Levine). Neither did our server; a slender Ichabod Crane meets Dracula character whose curt responses and oh-so-loveable Eastern European "charm" (I am all too familiar with it) added an extra layer of authenticity.

    Anyways, the burger: a fried concoction composed of a meat (recommend it medium-rare), emmenthaler cheese, and bacon wrapped up in a Hungarian langoš (fried flat bread). Mix in the dill pickle, beet ketchup, mayo, red cabbage, and siracha-style mustard. What do you get? The reason why this burger won the title of  "New York's Best Burger" by Village Voice in 2011. Don't question the cramped space, humorless server, or limited options. Get the Korzo Original (skip the flavorless fried halušky), order a Czech beer, and let your mouth wonder why the hell you never considered visiting Slovakia before.
  • 9/30/2013
    It doesn't look like a restaurant from the outside so I am glad I found this place through yelp. It's a tiny dark restaurant in east village that serves amazing food. Only draft beer, house made ale and coke. Not even diet coke. Not that many seats either.
    I got the Otto burger with fried buns.
    They're so unique and delicious!! My friend got the Slav but we both liked mine better.
    We also got the dumpling of the day and it was sort of like empanadas with thicker skin.
    I liked the beet ketchup but wished they had regular ketchup as well.

    Check the hours before you go because they open after 5 during weekdays.
    • 1260 friends
    • 1228 reviews
    8/21/2013


    * Kolache burger *

    They take Langos and stuff it with a thick patty made from freshly ground grass-fed beef, applewood-smoked bacon, emmentaller cheese, an ale mustard and housemade dill pickle. They deepfry it so that instead of a bun you get a stuffed langos burger. They just call it the original Korzo burger on the menu. But it reminds me of a freshly made kolache stuffed with a thick juicy burger.

    The burger was perfectly rare and juicy, the way I like it.  (Apparently illegal in Vancouver unfortunately.)  The dough was hot and freshly fried. The bacon, cheese, mustard and pickle completed the flavour mix. Delicious.

    Added in their housemade beet ketchup to just round it all out.  Delicious.

    In fact, so delicious I forgot to take a photo.  But I found these from other Yelpers that look similar to the burger I had:  http://www.yelp.ca/biz_p… and http://www.yelp.ca/biz_p…

    I'm craving another one. But alas, it will be a while before I can return.
  • 8/27/2013
    Came here with a group of about 10 people for a good friend's birthday. Definitely not the best place for large groups since it's a tight fit and because there's no reservations, but the restaurant guys were super nice and we came right when the place opened so there was no wait.

    I'd heard great things about the burgers, especially because of how unique they are with the breading! We all got them medium rare and while it was indeed super juicy, there was nothing eye popping in terms of the meat. The patties weren't super seasoned, and I believe the paired sauces and the toppings were supposed to help out, but they didn't do much for me - I think the burger should be an end to itself without complementary reinforcements. Furthermore, the paired sauces were a bit funky, and I didn't dabble too much in them.

    Probably because we were a large group size, the burgers also took forever to come...we must've waited for almost an hour, and by then a lot of the burgers weren't piping hot and fresh. Heh, overall though, things were pretty nice and I'd definitely venture out again with a smaller group.
  • 9/8/2013
    An Alphabet City gem! The Korzo Burger is arguably one of the best burgers I've ever had. I say this not only because it's tasty (which it most certainly is), but because it was also one of the most unique burgers I have ever experienced. Rather than use a traditional bun, they use some kind of special dough that's fluffy and tasty and baked fresh there. The meat is amazingly juicy and is perfectly complemented by the emmentaller cheese. I don't think I've ever had another burger that has melted in mouth the way the Korzo Burger did.

    Service is good and the restaurant is cozy and intimate feeling, but not in a romantic way. It's a pretty spatially limited and they don't take reservations, so needless to say it is not a great place to go if you're with a big group. However it is the perfect place to grab and beer and a burger and catch up with one or two friends.
  • 8/21/2013
    1 check-in here

    It was the great burger experienced I have ever had!

    The first, this is the "styled" burger but this isn't the burger we know!!!
    the dough (the buns suppose to be...) is fried but NOT GREASY at all.
    it was very impressive and all the juice of meat is stayed inside of the dough and of course the meat putty is very juicy and moist!
    The dough itself was very freaky outside and very soft inside...hummmmm yum!

    my husband and I did try "Original" and "The Slav" burgers from the menu and the original was almost very simple but emmentaller cheese and smoked bacon was the good kick.
    my husband's favorite The Slav was spiced sauerkraut was the great accent.
    both of them are very tasty together with beer:)
    We also had a salad as well and it was really good too!
    Lots of beetroot in it and with vinegar based dressing was very good much thought.

    This restaurant offered their original products "Beet ketchup" and "Beet hot source" you can try and they sale them at the store so you can buy the bottles if you like them.
    inside of the restaurant is very small but clean and cute decor was very cosy.

    My husband loved this burger as well as I was so we definitely go back and eat great burger again very very soon!!!!
  • 8/19/2013
    1 check-in here
    I've been wanting to stop by this place for about three weeks, and finally got the opportunity. I decided to go full Korzo and ordered the Korzo Organic Ale, and original Korzo burger. I think beyond the Korzo brew, they switch up the beer choices regularly, which I like. The Korzo Ale gets an A+ and is a great pairing with the burger. It should also be noted, while not the top burger in the city, this unique burger won't disappoint. I like the pocket bun they serve it in, it keeps in all the juices.

    I wanted to grab an app but stopped here on my way to an event. They all look good. I did, however, grad the sweet potato fries on the side which were dope. My favorite item here though was the hot sauce, which was surprisingly tasty and made on site. They make an interesting ketchup from beets, which is cool, although I'm not a huge fan of beets or ketchup.

    If you go with friends on a busy night be prepared to wait as the space is small and seating limited. Also, as some others pointed out, it is dimly lit, so make sure the flashlight is working on your phone.
  • 8/23/2013
    YUM. This place is amazing. I went right when they opened on a Thursday and we were the only people there. In fact, the next people only came an hour later - so that seems to be the trick to not waiting.

    We got the Slav and the Original. I wanted the Slav because I LOVE sauerkraut - but I think the Original was much better. So if you are only going for one, go for that. The burgers are expensive ($15), but totally worth it imo. The beer there is really great too, so get one of those as well.
  • 6/23/2013
    1 check-in here
    Hole in the wall? Check. Dim lighting? Check. Crappy seating? Check. You know this ish is going to be dah bomb.

    When I first received the menu, I was contemplating only giving it 4 stars. I mean, seriously? Only 11 total items on the menu? What type of variety is that?

    Forget variety tonight. These people have perfected these 4 burgers beyond all compare. I don't even usually like three of the toppings on my burger, but somehow they made me fall in love.

    As I looked over the menu, I was left unsure about what exactly I wanted. So, as usual, I turned to the expert (the waiter) and asked what I should... "The Slave." Before I could finish my sentence. No hesitation. He knew what was the best.

    He was right. It was easily the best burger I have ever had. Honestly, it didn't taste like I was eating a burger at all. It was just.... beyond words.

    Also, THE PRESIDENT OF SLOVAKIA EAT THERE! That's all I probably needed to say for this review.
  • 6/24/2013
    1 check-in here

    Hole in the wall burger place that was PHENOM. It's super small with really sketchy lighting and seating and a menu with minimal choices. BUT, the waiters are actually Slovakian and there were a good number of people squished in this burger joint.

    I got the Original burger rare. And it was drenched. I loved it! [1] There were four burgers on the menu and I know I'm going back to try the other three. It was an amazing experience. It isn't even just the meat and the wonderfully melted cheese or the fresh toppings. It just blended in such a wonderful way that is rather indescribable. I usually detest toppings and stick with the classic burger, but they have mastered this art.

    Was this the best burger I've ever had? No. Was it a little overpriced? Yes. So I docked a star. They were also rather slow with getting us our orders, which peeved me a little as I was starving.

    [1] Very often I would order a rare burger but get a medium rare rare burger. It's pink but no blood is flowing -- not okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered