Translation from English

Monday, September 9, 2013

Primary Eve and Unwanted Phone Calls

At about Six p.m. yesterday my phone rang and since I was expecting a call, I answered it. 

It was Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, the voice said, who wanted to tell me her choice for Borough President.

I hung up.

I have nothing against Maloney ( in fact I voted for her last time) (and probably the time before that--yes I did, now that I think of it.).

But like a lot of people, I am so tired of all these calls soliciting or pushing something even though I am on the "no call list" ( some of the dastards now get around it with robo calls from other countries, which are hard to trace or do anything about).

And now the primary is just tomorrow, I expected a lot of calls to start coming in about 5:30 p.m. and just keep coming...I just left the answering machine on. 

Anthony Wiener called yesterday and did not call again today...today was odd in that the minute my answering machine recording went on, with the the message I could not take the call, the person calling hung up right away.

It was probably Carolyn Maloney, angry I did not take her call yesterday...LOL

So I let them all roll on by and wondered who this Jessica Lappin is whose office I photographed today on Second Avenue in Midtown.

Of course, I have received a ton of political mailings, all of which went right into the garbage.

I plan to vote tomorrow, but I have other things to do also. I don't think it will take me very long to vote.

But I still do not know who I will vote for for the Democratic Mayoral Candidate. I see plenty wrong with all of them and things I like about all of them too...

But no last minute phone call would sway me. It would just irritate me.

I understand the Federal government is now working on how to stop the robo calls these people are making in violation of the no call law. I hope they find something soon.

Jessica Lappin? Who knows, I may vote for her because she was the last name I heard mentioned.

One final note,--about three weeks ago I put up with a very earnest young campaign worker who was asking me all kinds of questions about how I felt about her candidate. I did not much about her candidate but she was all too happy to tell me. I think I spent about ten minutes on the phone with this woman and now I cannot even remember whom she was calling for.

So I think these last minute phone calls are a waste of time in most cases...they might have helped Obama a lot in the last election in states like Ohio, where there were a lot of "stay at home Democrats" who just needed a shove to go out and vote.

But not in this election.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered