Translation from English

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Firefighter Nation- Potentially Violent Situations= Preamble

I remember Denis Smith writing that although as a best selling author he was part of the NYC cultural community, he was distanced from its general sensitivities and trends because of his life experience (this came up while discussing everything from the Vietnam Memorial to memorials proposed for the World Trade Center site, etc.)

He said something like " But, I am a firefighter from the South Bronx, and I have had bottles and rocks thrown down from rooftops at me while fighting fires.. that changes the way you look at some of these things."

( I wonder what someone like Lt. John Kenny, a docent at the NYC Fire Museum and another veteran of "the War Years" in the Bronx would have to say on the whole topic).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered