Translation from English

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Born Today- Daniel Johns- IMDb

 

 

Biography

Jump to: Overview (4) | Mini Bio (2) | Spouse (1) | Trivia (15) | Personal Quotes (36)

Overview (4)

Date of Birth 22 April 1979Merewether, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Birth NameDaniel Paul Johns
NicknamesJasper
Johnnsy
Height 5' 10½" (1.79 m)

Mini Bio (2)

Daniel Johns is one of the most influential performing artists Australia has ever known, capturing the voice of the youth of Australia, and often, the youth of the world. First performing under the name 'Innocent Criminals', Johns and his band mates shot to fame after winning several competitions, which guaranteed them a record contract. He chose to call his band Silverchair as a form of a living tribute to two of his biggest musical influences, Nirvana (Silver is a spin on their world wide hit 'Sliver') and You am I ('Berlin Chair').

Their debut e.p., 'Tomorrow', was a huge hit in Australia when released in 1995, going double platinum and being the ninth best selling song of the year. When their debut album 'Frogstomp' was released, no one was surprised when it was a huge seller, going platinum in America, 4 x platinum in Australia and selling close to a million copies. Their next album 'Freakshow' was a commercial let-down as Johns sunk into teenage angst and lament, perfectly harmonising about the struggles he faced.

 Troubles which are many - depression, anorexia and arthritis are all things he has suffered from in the past, and in 1999 he was stalked by a fan. Johns escaped in his music, capturing his struggles through such ballads as 'Cemetery', 'Miss you love', 'Ana's song' and 'Abuse me'. Currently, it appears the worst is behind Johns who is back on top with his new album, Diorama. Unfortunately, due to his arthritis, he has been unable to tour the album, but an incredible performance at the 2002 Aria's boosted sales, and the album has sold close to 500, 000 copies - Diorama is the album critics call "Silverchair's best work yet."

Throughout his troubles, he has been lovingly nursed by his girlfriend, singer Natalie Imbruglia. Johns claims he has put his teen angst and woes behind him, and with a great album like 'Diorama' one has to take his word for it. Selling 6 million albums world wide, Johns is the voice of the youth in Australia, and a hero to millions throughout the world.


- IMDb Mini Biography By: Daniel Johns' devotee 
 
In 1994 three young boys of only fifteen years old won Triple J's "unearthed" nationwide competition. Unearthed was respected throughout a Australia as a means of discovering new talent and bringing them to the fore. In 1994 everyone was surprised when three young boys calling themselves Silverchair won the competition by a landslide. Singing songs so mature that it was such a surprise that these boys were only fifteen.

Nevertheless they got themselves the record contract they wanted and these three young lads from the small Australian town of Newcastle went on two make history. After releasing their "Tomorrow" ep Silverchair made their first studio album "frogstomp". With a sound that was clearly influenced from the Seattle grunge scene, in particular bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, it came as no surprise to anyone that their band name was in fact a marriage of two songs from their biggest influences. "Frog stomp" took Australia, and later the world, by storm. Selling two and a half million albums world wide, Silverchair embarked on a sell out tour that proved that as long as you had spirit, it did not matter how old you were, as long as you knew how to rock! Silverchair were fronted by the recluse Daniel Johns who always seemed very introspective in interviews. Johns who was born and raised in the small town of Merewether, newcastle, seemed like an odd choice as a front man, but nevertheless when you saw him on stage you realised just how perfect he was. Johns, Gillies and Joannou took 1996 off to recover from the 1995 storm, and came back on the scene in perfect style in 1997.

"Freakshow", their second studio album, proved to the world that these boys were no one album wonders, and boasted such rocking anthems as "freak" and "the door". Johns also proved that he could handle a ballad or two, experimenting with songs like "Cemetry". Johns stuck to his proven formula with his 1999 album "Neon ballroom" which delivered just like "freak show" had. Johns then proved to people that he could be different with his online ep release "I can't believe it's not rock" with Paul Mac. Johns has also broken away from Silverchair and formed "The Dissociatives", another collaboration with Paul Mac, and their self-titled album experimented with all kinds of music except grunge. No one could ever accuse Johns of only being a rock star! After marrying Imbruglia Johns appears to have opened up to the world. With a new Silverchair album tipped to be released in 2006 no one knows what to expect. Johns has definitely grown up in the ten years he has been in the spotlight, and one of the fascinating things about him is never knowing what he will do next!

- IMDb Mini Biography By: James Briggs

Spouse (1)

Natalie Imbruglia (31 December 2003 - present) (filed for divorce)

Trivia (15)

Singer/Songwriter of hugely popular Australian rock/grunge band Silverchair.
Suffering from a rare case of arthritis, which has prevented him from touring his new album, Diorama.

Has suffered from anorexia, and vividly laments his battle with it in his beautiful song 'Ana's song' (Open Fire)

He came up with the name Silverchair, from two songs from his biggest musical influences - 'silver' is a spin on 'sliver' from Nirvana and the 'chair' comes from You am I's 'Berlin Chair'.
Almost fully recovered from his terrible illness, Johns has announced the tour dates for Silverchair's Diorama. 'Across the night tour' will go throughout Australia in April 2003 - Johns proved how popular he still is when all the tickets to every single show sold out on the first day! [December 2002]
Refuses to use pitch correction software on his music. While this technology corrects notes that are sung or played out of tune, it is Johns' personal belief that such artificial perfection diminishes music.
Announced engagement to Natalie Imbruglia. [January 2003]

Is a vegan

Had seven top 10 singles in the Aria charts between 1995-2001, which is more than any other Australian act in the 1990s.

Has a dog named Sweep.

In an AT&T Blue Room interview in 2007, Silverchair discussed the actual origin of their band's name. They took the name from the C.S. Lewis book entitled "The Silver Chair". They admitted in the interview that they came up with what they thought was a good story, but realize now that it would have been much easier to just say it was from a book.

Late Australian actor Heath Ledger said that Silverchair was one of his favorite Australian bands.
Daniel is currently in New South Whales with Silverchair working on demos for their upcoming fifth album. [November 2005]

The couple announced a joint statement saying their marriage is over and they simply grew apart from not being able to spend enough time together. Natalie is based in London and Daniel in Australia. [January 2008]

Finished recording Silverchair's new album "Young Modern", and is taking a break before doing the final mixing. [December 2006]

Personal Quotes (36)

(On Silverchair's stunning new album, Diorama) "No matter what people have got going on in their lives, hopefully when they play this album it will make them forget about everyday stuff. When music does that it's magical and, for me, that's what "Diorama" is about."
I love life, it's the best thing in the whole world.
I have never had a social life, don't ever want one because it's boring. I'm just not very good with people, and you meet people every night who expect you to be this rock star with these developed social skills, which I don't have.
I try to stay positive by focusing on how much I'll appreciate my health if I get better.
I wrote... Neon Ballroom in that time where I hated music, really everything about it, I hated it.
None of us are really dumb and none of us are really smart. We're in the middle.
I'm lucky the arthritis happened at the time that it did because of the record.
I had to try and find a way to express happiness without sounding corny.
I get very anxious and am scared in crowds and things like that.
I am very scared of being outside my home for long periods of time.
I am doing everything humanly possible to try and get well, but lately things have just kept getting worse.
There's an inherent thing in me where, if things are going too smooth, I'll sabotage the hell out of them, just to make the music more of a sanctuary.
I never really paid attention to sales until the second record.
I know if I don't tour people will forget the record and you run a high risk of the record failing.
I have not really experienced any significant conflict with anyone in regard to my choice to be vegan, although going out to eat is hard sometimes.

I think I definitely got scared by the second or third time a doctor told me I was dying.

I start sweating and shaking and having panic attacks if I am not at home.

So I went and visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with reactive arthritis.

Reactive arthritis is something I've been dealing with for nearly a year.

Kinda when I stopped eating was on our second album, just as it felt like everything was so out of control.

It makes it hard to get over a certain period of your life when you are constantly revisiting it every night.

It just makes everything more pleasurable when you've got someone that emotionally is there to rely on.

Touring doesn't kill me and I can handle it.

Though, since the first record, I've dramatically changed my expectations for our records.

There was three or four years of my life where I hated myself and you know, would have quite happily ended it.

There are no big groupie fans or anything.

The touring for this album was definitely going to be the most intense touring we've done.

With our first two records we backed ourselves into a hole musically.

When we first began and I was 14, my influences were the stuff that was in my parent's record collection like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

We were really motivated to do something with this record overseas, even though I hate touring.
We were perceived as a post-grunge band.

We met The Cult and were talking to them for a while. We went a few places with Offspring.
We never considered ourselves to be a good band or anything, we just thought we were playing for fun and we wanted to play music that sounded like Black Sabbath or Soundgarden or the music we were into at that time.

I'm always active in trying to educate people when it comes to eating animal products, testing on animals, and the health benefits of being vegan, although I'm probably not the best person to be talking about the latter at the moment.

I have a theory because I was being beaten up a lot by people outside of school, it was almost like if I could make myself sick enough they'd take sympathy on me.

Basically, the reason I'm vegan is because when I was about 16 or 17 years old, I began to understand that we don't need to contribute to the killing and exploitation of animals to feed our bodies correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered