Translation from English

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Orwascher's Bakery- Yorkville

Orwasher's Bakery 

 Unassuming looking place tucked away on a Yorkville side street gets tons of rave reviews...as one person says," I don't buy bread much anymore because really good bread is so hard to find"--wel, not here, apparently...to say nothing of dessert type baked goods

Edit
  • 308 E 78th St
    New York, NY 10021
    b/t 2nd Ave & 1st Ave in Yorkville, Upper East Side
  • Transit information 4 5 6 6X Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 288-6569
  • Business website orwasherbakery.com
  • 8/24/2013
    Great artisanal bakery tucked away on the Upper East Side.  My sweet tooth had me hankering for some quality baked goods that didn't involve inch-high frosting, this place hit the spot.

    Their almond croissant was flaky and buttery, but also dense and chewy.  The almond filling was unlike other almond fillings that often taste too sugary and processed.  This was more like freshly ground almond butter; rustic, grainy, and hearty.  Delightful with a cup of fresh black coffee.

    I also had their chocolate raspberry rugelach (my baked good weakness), and have never tried a rugelach quite like it.  Half dipped in chocolate and also filled with hearty filling -- not your usual preserved fruits but chock full of chopped nuts and grains.

    Although famous for bread, I didn't have the pleasure to try those this time around but know that I'll be back to try their sourdough (also a personal fave) and other delightful goodies.
  • 10/22/2013
    1 check-in here
    Listed in Coffee, Bakeries
    Orwasher's had me at Hello. What do you get when you combine super fresh baked bread, pastries, friendly staff and Saratoga water? Pure happiness. Come here for the bread, leave with a wide grin.

    And oh yeah...the spinach ricotta croissants and chocolate croissants are out of this world!
  • 9/24/2013
    Amazing filled jelly donuts with 4-5 different choices of fillings. Wanted to try one of each but at 4.25 a pop could only afford two.  Tried the black raspberry and the sour cherry.  Both were very good. Black raspberry was better in my opinion.  The donut itself was delicious and light with sugar coating.

    Also tried the small cinnamon raisin rolls at 75 cents each seemed more reasonable and they were amazing as well.  Will definitely be back for some of the delicious looking bread
  • 1/5/2014
    The best jelly donut I have had in my life. Not a big bread guy what I have tasted here is great. More of a 4.5 not 5 because wish they had better coffee there. Understand its  a bakery not a coffee shop but still.
  • 12/29/2013
    The key to good baking is to add large portions of love. You get that with every bite of their fresh bread. So much so that they donate huge amounts in order to feed hundreds of people on Thanksgiving and Christmas who arrive at Goddard Riverside. My personal favorite is their dark breads or the bread filled with cranberries and nuts. I can't wait to try their danish. All I can say is YUMMY.
  • 11/27/2013 Updated review
    Cutest sweetest ladies work there! Amazing bread! I had the chocolate peanut butter strawberry jelly and marshmallow sandwich with my husband and wow we were in heaven :)
    11/25/2013 Previous review
    Cutest sweetest ladies work there! Amazing bread! I had the chocolate peanut butter strawberry jelly… Read more
  • 11/5/2013
    Jelly doughnuts are pretty much my favorite bakery item.  And boy was I excited to find the hand-filled ones here.  My choice of strawberry, sour cherry, raspberry, blueberry...drool...which one do I choose?  I tried the first two and they were great--real preserves not red goo.  And I also got a delicious pumpkin bread.  The service is super friendly here too.
  • 8/23/2013
    We don't eat bread in general because it is so, darn, difficult to find good bread these days. Most "fresh" breads now are stiff, hard, a struggle on the teeth, and painful for jaws, and the ones packaged for the supermarkets are pasty and tasteless.

    We first learned about Orwasher's when we were visiting a few local seasonal farmer's markets, and saw its name. There was a long, long line, which was a good indication that their stuff was good, but again, given that we're not bread fanatics, we didn't think much of it.

    Recently, however, we've been hearing the name Orwasher's among our friends as the place to go for delicious baked goods: breads, pastries, donuts, you name it. And so, we paid a special visit, and came home with a cinnamon raisin bread loaf.

    After we took our first bite, we knew that this huge loaf of bread wouldn't last more than a day. We found ourselves cutting slices after slices, and devouring it in seconds.

    This bread, this cinnamon raisin bread, was fresh, flavorful -- cinnamon and raisin flavors were bursting in every bite, and light and soft in texture. It was actually the epitome of perfect cinnamon raisin bread.

    No doubt, we'll be making a second trip to Orwasher's very soon. We hear they also have a delicious sourdough bread, and fresh doughnuts packed with fresh jam.
  • 12/20/2013
    Everything at this bakery is insanely good.  By far the best bakery I've been to in New York.
  • 8/8/2013
    1 check-in here
    Orwasher's you're the best. Upon walking in, I immediately experienced the sweet, sweet smell of pastries and the freshness of the bread. The shop itself is pretty small. They don't have the biggest selection but whatever they make, they do it with finesse.

    I was greeted by an older woman who was not only helpful, but such a sweetheart. She reminded me of a long lost family member. And she treated me like one. The woman mentioned that they had the "best rainbow cookies, without a doubt." Well.... say no more. I ordered two deliciously mouth-watering cookies and a white chocolate coconut macaroon. The rainbow cookies were excellent. You could taste the layers of the aromatic almond paste along with the apricot jelly topped with sweet milk chocolate. And the coconut macaroon, YUM. A different take on the usual... they added dried cranberries inside which was a nice surprise when I took that first bite.

    I haven't had the pleasure of trying their homemade bread yet. Needless to say I cannot wait and that is the next step on my list of things to do.

    P.S. Thank you to the kind lady helping me. You were so sweet and totally reeled me into Orwasher's!
  • 7/3/2013
    This place should be exponentially more popular than it is. A true gem of the Upper East Side!

    The doughnuts are incredibly delicious, the perfect balance between sweet and savory--you cannot beat FRESHLY packed FRESH jam in a FRESH doughnut. I had two, plus a black and white cookie and an ice coffee. Everything was incredible! The raspberry jam doughnut was the winner, the blueberry, a close second. Next time I stop in I'm definitely bringing home a fresh loaf of bread, they looked absolutely delectable.

    The service at Orwasher's stood out to me as well. The cashier was working alone and had endless patience and kindness for her customers. I would certainly recommend this joint to any doughnut or pastry lover. I'll be back when I'm ready to pack in the calories!!!
    • E C.
    • Great Neck, NY
    • 3 friends
    • 77 reviews
    11/3/2013
    Everything is excellent here.  My usual is the carbarnet rustica bread and chocolate almond croissants.    Their breakfast spelt bread is my go to energy "bar" on hectic mornings.  Cinnamon raisin rolls are my kids' favorite snack.    I frequent their location at the farmers market at the Christopher Morley park during the market season.  So good!  A must try!
  • 3/10/2013
    9 check-ins here
    Okay Orwasher's you got me to 5 stars. You are awesome. Your breads are fantastic! Your Challah, your olive loaf, your sour dough - make my mouth water. The donuts are second to none. The service is super friendly.

    Orwasher's Bakery, I love you!
  • 5/28/2013
    2 check-ins here
    The baked goods are phenomenal. Special shout out to the chocolate dipped rugelach; it is sheer heaven!

    My only complaint is cosmetic:
    For being so pricey, they could put a little more effort into their packaging. When I placed my order, I made sure to let the attendant know that I was buying some goodies for the office and was flying them across the US with me. She filled my order but very haphazardly slapped a sticker on both items. While I would expect that type of nonchalant attitude if I were buying a $12 baker's dozen at the local donut hole, I did not expect that type of attitude here. I get that presentation isn't everything; had I been buying a $35 box of goodies for myself, I probably would not have cared so much. However, being that it was a box that sat on our office counter for two days straight, I would have appreciated the sensitivity to the presentation.
  • 2/5/2013
    2 check-ins here
    I love this place, it smells so good and is so bright! There is a huge selection of breads and pastries. It is owned by Eastern Europeans, and it is the first place I've seen poppy seed bread outside my in-law's house. Unfortunately, still not as good as the poppy seed bread I get at the in-law's house. Everything is quite good, BUT rather pricey. I suppose this is the price to pay for supporting small business. Good luck my Eastern European ladies! I do enjoy your products!

    P.S. min ten bucks for credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered